Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Questions...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Questions...  (Read 1994 times)
ferretloverxx13

« on: July 22, 2009, 09:11:28 PM »

1. Are ferrets noses suppose to be wet like a cats?
2.Is it ok to just have only one ferret?
3.Do ferrets get the hiccups alot?
4. Is peanut butter ok for ferrets? (smoooth)
5. Are raisins ok for ferrets?
6. What are some symptoms that your ferret is bored?
ferret_girl

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 03:16:19 PM »

1. I don't think it is usual or unusual for a ferrets nose to be wet or dry. As far as I know being able to tell whether your pet is sick by the temperature and feel of their nose is somewhat of an old wives tale.

2. Having only one ferret is fine as long as he gets lots of attention and play time with you.

3. I don't know if it's common for them to get the hiccups often, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. Just like in humans, some of us get them often and other hardly ever. As far as I know getting the hiccups often is not diagnostic of anything in particular.

4. Peanut butter in small quantities is ok for ferrets, just make sure that they only get a little bit at a time so that it doesn't cause their mouths to stick together. I would say to be safe put a tiny dab on your finger and let him/her lick it off.

5. Raisins too are ok for ferrets in small quantities. Raisins are full of sugar and fat so giving them too many can cause problems (like obesity, sugar rushes and crashes, diarrhea). Also, raisins are HIGHLY toxic to dogs so if you have a canine friend, make sure he doesn't get any.

6. Hmm...I would imagine it is the same as in dogs, a bored ferret may  become destructive or develop unwanted behavours. Ferret sleep ALOT so if it's just that your ferret is sleeping often, that may be normal. Make sure that he has lots of toys to play with in and out of his cage. You may even want to rotate them so that he always has a new thing to play with. Ferrets need a good 3 hours out of their cage each day, so if he's not getting that you may want to increase his playtime. It is also important not to mistake boredom for sickness. Make sure that he is eating/drinking normally, hasn't lost weight and that his poops are normal. A sick ferret can sometimes become a tired ferret so make sure he's not sleeping more then he normally does and that he is active when out of the cage.
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 08:41:02 PM »

I agree with most of ferret_girl's responses except for the raisins.  While ferrets love them, there are not good for a hypercarnivor (meat eating) animal such as a ferret - too much sugar and toxic if too many are given at once.   If you want to give your ferret a treat, find a meat based treat instead (same can be said for peanut butter - meat based treats should be given preference).

As for boredom, ferrets thrive on "new".  Change their environment and toys regularly.  Also remember, that older ferrets are a lot less active than youngsters and are more difficult to stimulate into a playful mood. 

Webmaster
Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 05:04:58 AM »

3. I don't know if it's common for them to get the hiccups often, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. Just like in humans, some of us get them often and other hardly ever. As far as I know getting the hiccups often is not diagnostic of anything in particular.
One of our munchkins, Damon, will get the hiccups regularly. During his last checkup, we asked the vet about. He mentoned that for ferrets who have way to much energy when they first waking up (practically no time to stretch; it's time to play-play-play-play-play-play-play-play), there is a clinical explanation (although I forgot what it was). However, it's not something to worry about...

Keep on Dooking!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: