Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Meany Pants Ferret
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Meany Pants Ferret  (Read 5291 times)
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've never had a big problem with ferrets recovering from surgery (ie they've left their stitches alone).  I usually keep them in a single level cage for a couple of days but it's stocked with the same food and litter as usual.

Webmaster
Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
ferret_girl

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 02:38:43 PM »

So the saga continues...So I just got off the phone with my vet and he said that Baloo is healthy! While I should be happy, I'm a little disappointed since he has most clinical signs of adrenal disease. My vet said that the left adrenal gland is completely normal looking (no enlargement, brown/grey spots or growths); however, the right gland is a bit enlarged (and is most likely the one affected). He said that he will not remove the right adrenal gland unless absolutely necessary (which at this point it isn't), which I completely understand due to the high risks. He took a good look at his pancreas which is normal and his intestines which are also normal (so no intestinal lymphoma, which I lost 2 boys to this year or insulinoma).

So...all this to say, I'm disappointed that we didn't end up with a cure due to which gland was affected. But I'm happy it is not something else. Next Step: Deslorelin Implant to improve his symptoms and buy time.

Either way we would have ended up doing surgery...if we had tried the drugs first and they worked we would have gone ahead with trying to remove the affected gland and then found out we were out of luck. At least we now know that doing a drug trial is the best option for him.

It always seems to be the way...nothing is ever simple with my pets. Oh well, what can I say I try my best and that's all I can do.

Kalimata

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 01:12:51 AM »

I know it's like a month late, but oh well.

Pretty much all the symptoms you described are symptomatic of Adrenal disease.  It also doesn't tale that big of a tumor to throw off the gland either.  Frequent urination is a prostate issue (usually, but not always remember)  Adrenal disease can and usually does cause a swollen prostate.  Hair loss is a good indicator, but it is not always present in an adrenal case.  Hind end weakness can also present with adrenal tumors, as can the aggression issues, mating behavior in fixed ferrets, swollen lady bits e.t.c. 

Really, the Deslorian (SP?) is the best option for a possible adrenal ferret, as it works amazing as a preventative measure as well as treating.

Hope it helps a little
James
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: