Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Sluggish ferret
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sluggish ferret  (Read 3406 times)
nantrax

« on: June 23, 2009, 04:05:59 PM »

Hello everyone,

Our 6 year old ferret Tazz has been sluggish lately. About a month ago he lost his best friend (Brutus who left us for rainbow bridge). At first he seemed fine but in the past week he's become sluggish. He's eating and drinking but when he's out of his cage, he's pretty much looking to sleep somewhere. Even we take out outside (which he loves) he's not enjoying it as much.

We've also noticed that his nose is always dry, thus why we're thinking he might a virus or something. I called my vet but he's on vacation.  Cry

Of course i'm not asking for a diagnosis but if anyone could have any idea (you have experience with fuzzies) it would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 08:45:37 AM »

He could be mourning the loss of his friend, and older ferrets can take these things pretty hard.  Try interacting with him more and when you have a chance, it's always good to have the vet make sure nothing else is wrong.

Webmaster
Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Ferrettaxi
FRSO Board

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:20:37 PM »

A lot of people don't give ferrets credit for the complexity of their emotional states.  They do get sad, and they do get depressed.  Extra cuddles and love is what he needs, as it will help make him feel warm, safe, and loved. 

That being said, 6 is getting old, and older ferrets will slow down.  Sometimes this is a gradual thing, and sometimes, like with my Mr.Goliath, it happens fast.  Remember ferrets will sleep up to 18-20 hours a day, specially the older ones.

It could be insulinoma.  When he appears to be sluggish, try a SMALL dab of corn syrip on your finger.  Rub it on his gums and see if it perks him up.  The result will be noticable if it is insulinoma.

James
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: