Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Duck Soup and Chicken Gravy Recipies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Duck Soup and Chicken Gravy Recipies  (Read 13518 times)
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« on: February 26, 2006, 05:05:54 PM »

I usually have at least one or more ferrets at my place who need a little bit "extra" in their diet. Sometimes they need a soft food that they can digest easily and other times they just need a little something extra to put on some weight.  Here is what I use to help out my babies when they need it:

1.5 Cups of high quality Ferret or Kitten food (I use 1 cup of Innova EVO for Ferrets and half a cup of Wellness kitten)
2.5 to 3 Cups of water (approx)
2 Jars of chicken and gravy baby food or 1/2 can of Wellness 95% Chicken (Dog food)
Ice Cube Trays
1 Blender

Blend the dry food and 2 cups of water until it's smooth.  Add the baby food or dog food and more water (1/2 to 1 cup) and blend until you have a nice thick soup that's not to runny or too thick.  When it's ready, pour the mixture into the ice cube trays and pop them into the freezer.  Once the cubes are frozen, I remove them from the trays and put them in a freezer bag.

When it's time to give a ferret his special meal, I put a cube or two in a bowl and microwave it till it's unthawed.  Then I mix in a little water to make a nice smooth soup and some ferretone to add some essential oils.  Voila!  An easy to make "duck soup".  Each batch makes approximately 28 cubes.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:57:20 AM by ferretfan » Logged

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 05:09:47 PM »

Here is a more complex recipe from one of our members.  It's actually better for ferrets when they are really ill, but not all ferrets like the taste or smell...

Adapted from Bob Church's chicken gravy recipe.

1 big flat of chicken thighs, with skin. I remove the bone, but keep the
cartilage at the end of it. Chop the finished product into 1 inch
pieces, easier to cook.
1 pound of chicken livers
1/2 cup olive oil
1-2 Cup ferret, or high-grade kitten kibble
2 Tablespoons bone powder (optionnal, you can get it at health food stores)
4 Tablespoons honey
1 Cup fat trimmings (uncooked; I save trimmed chicken fat for just this purpose)
1-2 cans of chicken stock

Put the chicken and the livers with the fat and oil; add chicken broth until you can cook it without sticking to the bottom of the pot.  Cook for 30 minutes, take off the heat, add the kibble (it'll absorb the liquid). Wait for 20 mins then add the rest of the
ingredients and mix well.  Now, here's the hard part. You'll need a food processor. Put some of the mix into the food processor. Purée until smooth. (I like to run mine through a sieve after, to take the last lumps out. it's easier to force feed with a syringe without the lumps.  Besides, if it doesn't pass through the sieve, it's too thick. If it's too thick, add more chicken broth.).  

To conserve it you have two choices (it only keeps for a couple days in the fridge) put one cup of chicken gravy into a ziplock, push out the air, and set aside.  Repeat this process until all the gravy has been portioned out, then dump the ziplocks into a container to store in the freezer. OR, pour into icecubes trays, freeze, then pop out into a bag that seals well and store into the freezer(I like this one better, one cube is a perfect portion for one to two ferrets) . Ha!  Not hard at all, especially after all the grinding has been done.

To serve, just allow a bag-o-chicken or cube-o-chicken to thaw
(microwave is good, but not too long), mix water or pedialyte to the desired consistency.  This is a high-calorie, high fat, high protein, low carbohydrate food that is extremely easy on a sick or injured gastrointestinal tract (well, compared to kibble), and provides for all the ferret's nutritional needs in excess of most requirements.  Mine eat it as a treat every couple of days or so, and all my sick and very old eat it was a primary food.

BTW, it is very easy to digest, and it digests well, so not a lot comes out the back end when compared to kibble.  However, if your ferret is not used to it (its on the rich side), it can come out the waste chute somewhat runny. That is not a problem with a hydrated ferret, so don't worry about it; there are plenty of electrolytes and the ferret will just drink more water. Once the digestive system figures out what is coming down the pike, it will adjust.  Also, this food has a lot of water in it compared to kibble, so your ferret will probably not drink as much at the bottle.  Finally, it has a whole lot of really good nutritious stuff, so your ferret might not eat as much of this as when they eat kibble.

Now, this is mostly chicken, and your ferret may not want it at first, especially if raised for a long time on a kibble diet.  So I load up a syringe and squirt it in their mouth.  It might take one squirt, it might take 100, but eventually your ferret will sniff the stuff and dive in grinning. Once that happens, it is easy to get them to accept ANY poultry, from duck to turkey (mine love it when I add turkey wings to the chicken thighs), which they will learn to eat off the stick, so to speak.

This is NOT a replacement of anything your vet might prescribe, duck soup or any other food; its just something I use and highly recommend.  But its not etched in stone either; if it is too rich for your ferret, take out some of the fat or oil.  If there is too much bulk, cut back on it.  Make whatever adjustments you need for your individual ferret's needs.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 05:10:15 PM by ferretfan » Logged

Webmaster
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 10:32:47 PM »

Hey, I do something similar;

11/2 cup kibble (ferret) (ground up)
1 can ensure-vanilla, lactose free
1 sm can chicken baby food
2 sm cans hills a/d
1 cup or so pedialyte-fruit flavour
2 tablespoons ferretone

When I'm running behind with time and money, I cut out the baby food and pedialyte........it serves the purpose to get extra sustinance in and give meds....

ME Smiley
Snuzanne
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 11:33:38 PM »

Hi guys,

OK, we have now starting cooking a batch of duck soup for Sir Eatalot, or sorry I meant Sir Lancelot.  What a character and a cutie he is.  Now, John went out and bought the best, chicken breasts (Lilydale of course!!..what a nut) and I told him perhaps chicken thighs, which are somewhat cheaper, and the noname brand would do just a well.  So he went out and bought chicken thighs and cooked those as well! :rolleyes:  I think we will have enough duck soup for a while.  Having cooked all this chicken, now, is there a weight relationship between the amount of chicken you produced, say cups of chicken pureed, to the amount of ferret food,and other ingredients that you now have to add.( yes... I know we are doing this somewhat a..backwards.. but that is how my loved one works but at least he works). We need to finish this batch today and get it in the freezer so any help would be appreciated. I am still in town, since the torrential rains flooded the septic field at the cottage, shorted out the pump and backed up the system.  I am not one for using the outside potty like the guys! So home I stay Tongue I read all three recipes but I am not sure what a large flat is, also what do you mean by trimmed chicken fat - can we add something else instead since we don't have any chicken fat other than what cooked with the chicken.  Also, I am wondering if Lancelot is not having some issues with hypoglycemia - he shivers for long periods of time.  If it were seizures, I would expect him to go into an ictal phase which he does not, even while shaking violently, he will eat his meal and interact with us.  He was only getting 2 cubes/day and I think he may need a more regular meal schedule since he licks the bowl clean!!! But his abdomen is quite distended and has been since he arrived so I am not sure.  So all of this to bring me to the question of adding the honey.  I am not sure if that would be a good idea until I know if he has blood sugar problems..  HELP.... Shocked  Tongue  
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 07:39:34 AM »

I don't know much about making the chicken gravy with real chicken, so am making some educated guesses based on the various recipes on the net (you can always phone Cathy for a better answer).
- Lance should be OK without the extra fat.  You will likely have to get some from the butcher if you want to include it
- Most recipes I have seen use 1 cup of kibble with 4 chicken thighs (more or less)

The first question I have, is Lance on the "real chicken" gravy now, or is he still on the baby food and kibble based gravy?  It may take time to switch him from one to the other.

If he is showing signs of insulinoma, then there are two things we can do.  First, increase his feedings to 3 times a day as evenly spaced as possible.  That will give him a more even blood sugar level.  If this doesn't help, we'll have to take him to Dr. Auger and put him on Pediapred.  I would stay away from adding sugars or honey to the soup - ferrets are really not good at processing it.

Call if you need any more info!

Thx.

Webmaster
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 08:29:55 AM »

Here's our understanding of fuzzyfostermum's Wysong soup recipe.  Wink

Start with 1½ cup of kibble. Add enough water to make 2 cups of kibble/water mixture. Let stand until the kibble has absorbed some water. Place the mixture in a blender and press "Grind".

Add a couple tablespoons of Ferretone to the mixture, along with ½ to 1 cup water and 1 large can (or 2 small cans) Wysong "au jus" real meat. Set the blender to “Liquefy” and re-process the mixture.

Pour into ice cube trays and freeze. 1 cube equals one serving.

Note: If you have trouble grinding the kibble mixture in the blender, you can divide the mixture in two, and grind half the mixture at a time. After grinding each half of the kibble mixture, spoon it into a large bowl. Once all the kibble mixture is in the bowl, add the Ferretone, remaining water and Wysong. Mix well, and add half the resulting mixture to the blender to re-process. Pour into ice cube trays, and repeat the process for the second half of the mixture.

Keep on Dooking!
dragonsparks

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 05:11:52 PM »

A couple of thoughts...
First, how many ice cube trays does this recipe (and others) use???

Second, does anybody know what Smash and Crash's 'favorite' duck soup recipe would be???

Thanks, all!

ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 08:43:18 PM »

My recipe (the first one in this thread) makes about 30 cubes.  For Smash and Crash's 'favorite' duck soup recipe your' best off calling fuzzyfostermom and asking her.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:43:51 PM by ferretfan » Logged

Webmaster
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 08:08:41 AM »

Fuzzyfostermom recipe posted on April 24, 2007 09:29 am makes 2-3 cubes trays.

As for Smash and Crash, they are probably used to a more watered down version of it. You could simply thaw 1 cube for the 2 of them (instead of 1 cube each). Add water.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 03:12:23 PM by Viper » Logged

Keep on Dooking!
dragonsparks

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 12:38:15 PM »

Thank you both so very very much!!
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 09:12:50 PM »

This is the recipe I use for my guys and the ferrets at the rescue

Preferrable some cooked chicken breasts with skin, cooked on low in the microwave to retain some of the juices.
Or a large can of Before Grain Chicken dog food (they all turn their noses up at Turkey)
Good Quality Kibble softened with boiled water
1/2 can pumpkin (not the pie filling which is sweetened)
Generous squirt of Ferretone & NutriCal
Sometimes a couple of raw eggs but I have never felt comfortable giving raw eggs to already sick ferrets. 
One good zazz and more water if needed.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: