Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Not using litter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Not using litter  (Read 1590 times)
SteveandErica
« on: June 20, 2005, 08:16:40 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I sure could use some help here!

My female is about nine months old and has recently stopped using her litter box in her cage.  We use the recycled news and always have.  We haven't changed brands or anything.  Regardless of what corner we put her litter box in, she uses the opposite corner.  This is obviously quite messy and unhygenic for her to be walking round in.  She's also smelly because of it.  Other than that, everything else with her is normal, no change in temperment, attitude, eating or sleeping.  One other thing, I've noticed her in her CLEAN litter box rolling around in it and sometimes burying her nose in it and flicking it out of the box.  What's she doing????

Any help would be great, thanks!

Erica
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 07:25:31 PM »

Hi Erica,

I am assuming you clean the poops out of the litter box every day and that the box is clean.  Are you using one of the small triangle boxes or a rectangular cat litter box?  I have found that ferrets do not like the small triangle boxes as they can't easy fit into them.  I prefer to use small and medium sized cat litter boxes and it's rare when any of my ferrets and foster ferrets miss the box in the cage.

Other things you might want to try...
- use 2 ore more boxes in the cage until she starts using them on a regular basis.
- Leave one poop in the box so that she can smell the right location to go.
- Praise her whenever she goes in the box (favorite treats, etc).
- Put old blankets in the places where you don't want her to go (I cover the entire bottom of my cages with blankets - it works even better if they've slept in the blankets first).

I hope this helps!

Lynn

Webmaster
Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
fertasticfour
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 12:29:44 PM »

I used to have same problem and what i did was.. I bought the marshalls high back little pan looks like a big box withan opening in the middle for them to climb in and out this worked for me also i put toys in the other corners so they dont go there so far This has stopped the problem..

knock on wood(knock knock)
Jade
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 09:34:24 PM »

My fuzzy's sometimes dig in there litter when I first put it in, I think that they are trying to express there need to borrow once and a while. If your cage is big enough put two litter boxes in and if not you could always place some of her "mess" into the litter box to reminder her that it is not a toy but her bathroom..... it seems to work  Cheesy !

hope it works out for you
Jade
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: