Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ Introductions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Hi...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hi...  (Read 4229 times)
Trevour
« on: February 27, 2005, 12:30:44 PM »

Trevour here,

...just came across this Ottawa Chapter, having recently moved up from Toronto.

I have 3 ferrets, going on five, whom we've raised up from kits.

Looking forward to meeting with some of you over walkies when the weather is nicer. I don't know anybody else in Ottawa who has ferrets and am looking for friendships and sharing stories.

T
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 06:15:48 PM »

Hi Trevour and welcome to Ottawa!  I look forward to meeing you at a future meeting.

Lynn

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Flakyfreakyferretlady
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 07:46:17 PM »

Hi Trevour and welcome!!  Cheesy  I have 4 ferrets, 2 boys, two girls, and we go outside when the weather is nice, a good place to go is the governer general's residence, tons of open space and no dogs allowed, not that I find dogs too bad (see my reply to your other post on dogs and ferrets).  How old are your ferrets??  You're getting 2 more, or do you mean going on 5, as in age?  What are their names?  I have  Kiefer, Fergus, Emma and Daisy, 4,4,5 and 4 respect, all rescues/adopted.  I just recently lost 2, Charlie,6, who'd I'd raised from a kit, and dixie, 8, a rescue.  It was terribly sad Sad  but at least I have my others to console me Smiley  
Trevour
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 07:36:15 PM »

Hi Ferretfan and Flakyfreakyferretlady,

I've never chatted on a board before, so sorry if my reply seems delayed.

Our 3 Kids (Gypsy, Gylles and Jaspyr - a Jill and 2 Hobs) are going on 5 years old, and from what I can understand, we are blessed. We have only had one impaction scare, and once Gylles escaped during a pizza delivery mayhem...but made it home again, despite the odds.

Vets, pet-shop owners and other ferret custodians say they've never met such kind and -er- 'well-behaved' (!!!Huh) ferrets before.

We've had them all since they were kits. Lot's of stories to tell there, but suffice it to say, I worked in a pet shop in Toronto for a while.

Gypsy was our first. Jami (best friend) and I got it into our heads that we wanted ferrets. (In fact, I had a dream about holding a beautiful black snake covered in fur with a rhinestone collar many months beforehand). This was at a time when there was literally a ferret drought in Toronto. We phoned every pet-shop until we found the only ferret in Toronto, way out in Scarborough!

She had been alone in a cage for 2 weeks. Truth be told, she looks more like an orc than a ferret...not what one would consider traditional beauty. Gypsy's a Pewter. 'Queen Gypsy the Wise of Pewter' to be precise. (Jami and I got drunk one night and titled all the kids with nobility...). Needless to say, she is truly the smartest, most loving, most affectionate, most adorable ....most exasperating ferret on earth! I swear, she can open jars and forge my signature.

I have many fun, fun stories, but for now, I'll end this mini-novel here. Can't wait for the nice weather so we can meet over walkies. We have a very large backyard and BB-Q for when summer arrives.

Until then, your new cyber-ferret friend,

Trevour

Ps. The other nobles include:

Sir Gylles the Gentle of Cinammon; and
Lord Jaspyr the Innocent of Champagne

in disobedient service to

Queen Gypsy the Wise of Pewter

Flakyfreakyferretlady
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 12:30:33 PM »

Cute titles!!!  just wondering, you call your ferts jills and hobs, are they not fixed??  If they are, the terms are sprites (females) and gibs.  Not being nitpicky, just thought you might be interested.  Ferts ARE like furry slinky snakes arent' they : )  Did you get a rhinestone collar LOL? That is so great that your boy made it home after being lost, that must have been terrifiying, my biggest fear, secong being the dreaded impaction, which, thankfully and knock on wood, I have not had any expereinces of.  All my best, Dee
Trevour
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 10:45:21 AM »

Hey FlakyFreakyFerretLady (my, what a nice name for a girl...in fact, if I ever have a daughter, I think that's what I'll name her...)

Thanks for the correction on sprites and gibs...that was news to me!

Yes, ours are fixed. The last thing the world needs is litter after litter of unwanted weasels...
Flakyfreakyferretlady
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 08:20:50 PM »

Just call me FFFLO  - flakyfreakyferretladyonline
Trevour
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 09:00:24 PM »

I was thinking of abreviating your name, but did not want to offend.  BTW, my last post was made in the most jestful of jests. ' hope it was received that way!

Fred and Peanut are settled right in. New alliances have been formed, and the fosters are starting to interact with us as well. Fred could stand to gain some weight so tomorrow we make up the 'patented chicken brew' to fatten him up for diggety-dig season.

All five have hit it off from day one and have formed one nest, dispite their many options. The large marshall's cage is always empty, save for the odd afternoon nap.

Given that we've only ever known our 3 kids, I guess we sort of took them for granted (fur, temperament, etc.). Having taken in these 2 fosters we have a new-found appreciation for our own kids and are proud to report Fred and Peanut are starting to respond positively to all the love and affection we give them which is reflecting (in this VERY short time) in their personalities and the quality of the qualitiy of their fur.

I have a question!

We noticed straight off that ours were VERY soft-furred and the fosters were rather bristly. We are curious to know whether the oil from our hands assists in a softer pelt, or is it that, through the agency of our hands, we are distributing their natural oils more efficiently. (We do a lot of petting and cuddling...)

Curious minds want to know!

T
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 09:18:24 PM »

I think you meant that Peanut was still a little underweight.  Fred's insulinoma has made him a little chubby.  As for the coarse fur vs soft fur, I have no idea what makes the difference.  Of the 7 ferrets at my place, some have softer fur than others so I assumed it was mainly due to genetics and health (the sicker ones tend to have coarser fur).

Lynn

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Flakyfreakyferretlady
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 08:06:13 AM »

Hi Trevour!  FFFLO here!!  It's been a long time since i've had a chance to get back here. :huh: Of coure, I knew you were jestfully jesting, what else Smiley   Well, I'm glad to hear you have Fred and peanut, that they are settling in well, and that they have given you a new found respect for your furry fuzzbutts.  My ferrets right now are all very good temperment as well, except for two of my girlies with each other still have the occasional duff up :ph34r: , the one little one, Daisy, I just inherited awhile ago, and my big girl is kinda peeved.  As for fur, I find there is no way to really say for sure, I have seen healthy active ferrets with short coarse coats, and I've seen sick, dying ferrets with gorgeous coats.  If a ferret is suffering from lack of nutrients or fat, Ferratone can make a big difference, but if its genetics, not much you can do <_< .  My rather plump old girl, Emma, spent all her life, till I got her at 5 years old, in a little cage with wood chips and her coat is amazing, I'm not sure what they were feeding her, but for a 'neglected' ferrert probably nothing special :angry: .  My first ferret Charlie, who I got as a kit and always had primo food, lots of ferratone tc. had a rather short, coarse coat.  My two boys, rescued from a breeder have horrendous coats, dry, thin, etc. but no matter how much Ferratone, meat , and high quality food they get this doesn't change. :unsure:   They've been in to see the vet 3 times, they've had Ivermectin injections in case it was a mite thing, special shampoos and conditioners for fungal/bacterial causes, but nothing.  Next we are going ot explore adrenal possibilities though they had this coat problem ever since I got them two years ago and no adrenal symptoms.  It's a big mystery.  As are alll ferrets!! :lol:  
L-Dawg
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 02:31:37 PM »

Hello Trevour, my name is Lars, I just joined the forums about a week ago.  I have two ferrets, Drew (2 year old sprite, sable) and Bandit (2 year old gib).  I just adopted Bandit from a neglectful home.  I saw your post regarding the brittle and coarse fur.  When we got Bandit a week ago, his fur was very dry, brittle and dull.  All we did was, start feeding him ferret food instead of the cat food they were feeding him, and we also started pumping the ferretone and ferret vitamins into him, and already his coat is soft and shiny.  So in some cases it might be the food.  But I agree with FFFL, it could just be genetics.  I dont think we transfer enough oils from our hands to the furry ones when handling them to make a difference.  I believe the quality of the fur is dependant on the ferrets secretions or natural oils.
   Welcome to the forums.  Look forward to chatting with you!

Lars
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: