Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ Introductions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Introduction
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2316 times)
ferretlover
« on: February 18, 2005, 08:03:43 PM »

Hi, I just wanted to say to everyone! My name is Angie. I own two ferrets (Chaos and Sugar Pie). They are both approaching their 1 year birthday. I absolutely love them (as you can tell by my screen name).

I tried to adopt a ferret recently but I found out my little girl fuzzy gets REALLY jealous of other ferrets. So, its not a really good idea right now, but I am hoping she will befriend another one sooner or later.  

Anyone have advice of how I could do this? I really want to get them another friend in case something happens to one of them. I really don't want them to be lonely and if I have at least one more then in the future if something does happen, there still will be another companion for them. But right now she is aggressive towards every ferret I have tried so far (except her brother Chaos).

Any ideas?

ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 09:55:19 AM »

Hi Angie and welcome to our forums!

I don't think there's an easy answer to your question as I've tried many tricks and sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.  I've got two dominant females (Murphy Brown and Cassaundra) who have to be kept separate from each other and most other ferrets.  There are occasions where they surprise me however.  Murphy Brown gets along very well with my big male Harley - I have no idea why.  Cassaundra surprised me last week as she's tolerating being out with Fred and Peanut (foster ferrets).  One thing I have found (although not always a sure thing) is that the dominant females tend to be more accepting of new males.

Some of the tricks that I use when trying to integrate ferrets are as follows:
- Place their cages next to each other so they can "meet" each other from the safety of the cage.
- Swap thier cages after a few days so that they get used to the smells of the other ferrets that are in the hammocks and blankets.
- Do the introductions in a small area that's easy to clean.  I start with the Bathroom and slowly expand the area they are allowed to explore.
- Spray bitter apple on the backs of their necks to reduce the biting.
- ALWAYS watch them carefully when introducing them and if you see extremely agressive behaviour (and flying poop), separate them immediately.
- Be patient and persistent.  It can take up to 6 months to fully integrate some ferrets (and there will always be some you cannot integrate).

There are lots more tips you can try, just do a google on "introducing new ferrets".

Lynn

Webmaster
Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Flakyfreakyferretlady
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 01:19:08 AM »

Hi Angie and welcome.  I have had a lot of experience integrating new ferrets as I have fostered many plus adopted many and I always try a bit to see if they will get along.  I find just holding the two ferrets, one in each hand, on your lap, and letting them take turns smelling each others ears and bums (they  love smelling bums :lol: ) will help them get used to each other.  Also I make them share their puddle of ferratone treat, they are so concerned about getting their nose in the plate, they forget about the other ferrets,and so get used to each other this way.  Also, if some are sleeping deeply I'll lay the new ferret on top of them when he/she is sleepy and often they will not feel threatened by the sleeping ferrets plus are to tired to fight and so culr up and go to sleep (be sure and stay and watch and be ready to jump in if they wake and start protesting).  I find alpha females do reacte better to males coming in to the pack,females takes longer and some ferrets will just NOT tolerate any other ferrets at all.  My little girl Emma was a single ferret for 5 years before I adopted her, and she integrated very well with my 2 boys, but now i'm trying to introduce a new female a friend gave me, and it's been two weeks and it's a struggle.  Emma, who is super sweet and gentle normally, does not want this girl coming in, and flies at her, they don't fight but they just scream and scream at each other.  I think its because Emma now considers my place 'her' turf, where before she was just coming in as the new girl. they say sometimes it is bettter to introduce the ferrets away from their turf, in a common area where both are new to it so don't feel territorial.  It is good to have 3 who get along in case you do lose one, just be patient, I think in time Emma and my new girl will blend, it seems about 50/50 right now and two weeks isn't long, it can take months.
fertasticfour
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 05:12:08 PM »

HI

I'm a new member as well and fairly new to the whole ferret scene. Something I would try is to meet someone who has ferrets as well and let them all play in the same room that way he/she gets used to other ferrets then bring your two home. I would think a ferret going from like 6 ferrets  to 2 ferrets would find it a bit easier to cope with the newbie Smiley

Worth a shot anyways. if you try it and it works let me know.
Jade
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 11:58:45 PM »

Hiya  Angie

welcom to our little group hope we can help  Cheesy

~Jade~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: