Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Ferret losing fur
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ferret losing fur  (Read 2498 times)
ferrilicious

« on: December 18, 2011, 07:29:45 PM »

Both my ferrets at the same time started to lose their fur i have had this problem twice before. once i switched there food and it grew back and once i got a new washer and i switch detergent and so i stopped using detergent and they grew it back....so now once again.  They got out of the play area once and got up into the drop ceiling and the tiles have fibreglass back so i thought that might be it but since then i have washed everything and bathed them and one grew back the fur and one still hasn't. It's been 3 weeks and still no fur growth but no increasing fur loss either

I know I know what everyone is going to say lol...maybe Adrenal Disease.
But  the ferret room is downstairs with very minimal light, she has no enlarged vulva, the hair loss is not on the tail but on the back at the base of the tail, her skin is normal colour, she's very energetic, eats/drinks the same, and no weight loss or pot belly

I just had one ferret put down due to neurological problems and had a $750 dollar bill from the vet to save her only to find out that she couldn't be saved and of course just before x-mas when money is tight.

So i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions before i take her to the vet. The first time this happened i took them to the vet for him to say it's probably environmental so it was kinda a kick in the behind so i'm hoping that's what it is this time.
Thanks for reading!!

Daisy - ferret (resuce)
Docker - Great Dane (resuce)
Dexter - kitten (resuce)

Lots of fish (hobby)
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 06:52:20 AM »

The top 5 things I've seen cause fur loss in my 10 years of ferret ownership & fostering are:
1) Adrenal which doesn't always start at the base of the tail - especially if it's an older ferret
2) Seasonal - sometimes a ferret will blow their entire coat at the change of the season
3) Stress or environmental
4) Underlying health issues
5) Nutrition

If I had to guess from your description, I would say Seasonal or Stress/Environmental would be the cause - especially with it happening to 2 ferrets at the same time.

Webmaster
Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
ferrilicious

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 01:11:29 PM »

just though i'd give an update. After thinking of every environmental factor i could i still could get her fur to grow back so i decided to run to the natural food store a get a bottle of liquid Melatonin....on the 2nd day of being on it she start to grow her fur back. so i guess that's bad news but aleast now i know.

Daisy - ferret (resuce)
Dexter - kitten (resuce)

Lots of fish (hobby)
Ferrettaxi
FRSO Board

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:00:55 PM »

As a side note, on the "health side" of long term liquid Melatonin use...

Although it is easier to measure and dispense in liquid form of Melatonin, compared to it's counterpart pill form, it is high in sugar, and can contribute to ferrets developing Insulinoma if used on a long term basis and if given in high doses.

It is also not a treatment for adrenal disease but merely assists with fur growth. If the ferret is adrenal, or early adrenal, which the signs have indicated, only Lupron shots, a Deslorelin implant or surgery are possible forms of treatment.

Hope this helps. Best of luck,
Jen L.   
ferrilicious

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »

I'm taking the advice my my vet. Because of the age of my ferret we decided that this is the best thing for now. I just have to wait and see how things go. But you are right liquid melatonin treats the side effects not the disease.
Thanks

Daisy - ferret (resuce)
Dexter - kitten (resuce)

Lots of fish (hobby)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: