Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Flu Season is Here
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Flu Season is Here  (Read 1678 times)
ferret_girl

« on: November 26, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »

It seems like the flu season has arrive in my house. While my husband and I haven't been hit with it yet it looks like at least 4 of my ferrets are sneezing, coughing, stuffed up, runny eyes and icky poop. The worst thing is I have no idea where they got it from since my husband and I haven't been sick and we haven't had any sick guests over to the house. Oh well, looks like it's going to be a LONG winter  Tongue
Ferrettaxi
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 01:12:51 PM »

Just keep in mind, although you may not be showing signs or symptoms, you can be a carrier for colds and the flu. Hence, you can pass it along to more vulnerable people, such as children and the elderly, as well as to your ferrets.

Simple rules to remember: keep them well hydrated, i.e. plenty of fresh clean accessible water. If needed, separate the sick from the healthy, especially if you have  older ferrets, they are more prone to being hit harder. And "duck soup" is your friend:) There are lots or variations for the recipe that can include "Ensure" or "Glucerna" and "Pedialyte" to help with extra hydration when needed.

Just remember, when in doubt, take the little ones to a ferret-knowledgeable vet.

Good luck!
Jen L. 
alliemackie

Rescue Geek

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 11:54:59 AM »

Jen's got it! A lot of times, the flu will pass through a ferret without issue, just giving them some unpleasant symptoms for a few days. But definitely keep an eye out. Getting the flu can severely compromise their immune systems as well, so avoid taking them outside and such, if it's something you do regularily.

We hope you all feel right as rain soon!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:59:38 AM by alliemackie » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: