Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ Introductions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ I have a dilema
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I have a dilema  (Read 3612 times)
frankie
« on: February 15, 2005, 01:14:44 PM »

Hey guys,

I have a wonderful ferret by the name of Frankie. I love her to death, but I am getting a HUGE dog, i'm purchasing a mountain bernese dog in april, I don't know what to do, my family tells me to get rid of the ferret ( I guess they don't like it much) I live on my own with a room mate who is soon to be gone (does not like ferrets and does not want a dog) , but these are just suggestions that i have gotten.  I can't bare the fact that if i do get rid of frankie, I will miss her so much and I will always wonder what happened, did she go to a good home or what?!  I really want this dog, I've wanted a dog since I was a little girl.  I just don't know how much work it is going to be to try and raise a puppy and at the same time entertain my ferret....I let her loose 24hours a day in my room, so she is quite used to being outside of her cage.  She only goes to her cage to sleep.  I don't want to ignore her either and I am afraid that this might happen once I get the dog.  Dogs take alot of your time....I am not worried much about money wise.  I just need some help, not sure what would be the best thing to do for my fuzzie friend that I care so  much for=(

Help :unsure:  
Flakyfreakyferretlady
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 04:19:41 PM »

Well, I wish I knew the answer to that but it's hard to say.  I've known people who have gotten dogs (size is irrelevant) and had ferrets and it was fine, they just dedicated themselves to spending time with both animals, but you will need to make the effort to interact with your ferret as much as you already do, a sudden change in your care could make the fuzzy depressed and feeling neglected.  Can you walk your dog, play with her, go to school or work, AND still spend quality time with your fuzzy.  Some people introduce their pets (get help and advice with this) and dogs and ferrets have been known to make good friends.  On the other hand, I've known some people who got a dog, the fuzzy was banished to the basement or neglected attention wise, and this is truly not fair, especially if your ferret is used to attention and love.  So, I don't know if that helps, hopefully some.
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 09:54:04 AM »

Speaking from experience, a large dog can be a LOT of work - much more than a group of ferrets.  You will have to decide which animal you want more, and which animal you have the time, energy and money to properly care for.  It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind on this, so I suggest you try selling your ferret privately by placing an ad in the paper or pennysaver or posting on non-rescue related forums.  If you find you cannot sell your ferret and supplies, you will have to decide if you want to surrender her to the FRSO.

Lynn

Webmaster
Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
frankie
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 09:59:10 AM »

Thanks for the response.  I spoke with Marion last night, and she was very helpful.  I think that the best thing to do would be to give her to the FRSO.  If I sell her privatly, I will never know were she went, I will never know if she is in good care or not.  At least the FRSO can contact me and let me know how she is doing and all.  Money is not important to me when it comes to Frankie (ferret).  I will also be able to donate certain things, like a blanket, litter, food, litter boxes, toys, etc.  I have not made up my mind yet, but it seems to me that this may be the best decision, for myself as well as Frankie. I know that when I get my puppie, that  I may not give as much attention to her as I usually do, this might make her depressed.  It's not that I don't want to.  It's that, it might not happen.  Don't get me wrong this is very hard for me to do.  And I am still not sure.  But at least I know that there would be good people taking care of her.  

Thanks
Steph
Trevour
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 12:22:01 PM »

Hey,

I realize I'm getting on this a bit late, but I am familiar with both the breed of dog, and ferrets.

Personally, I wouldn't jump to any rash conclusions or act too hasitly. I would wait to see how they got on.

I frequently take my kids to dog walking parks where they get along quite well with all different breeds. If you're getting a pup, could be that your weasel is his new best friend! In fact...there's a funny storey...

A rather rambuctious Rotweiler (leashed) came charging up to our most gentle ferret. Well! Gilles kept his cool, merely stood up and nipped the Rotty right on the tip of the nose, fell back like a sphynx and stood his ground like a statue. The dog had no idea what to think! Shook it's head a couple of times and realized he was out of his league.

This was the only potentially threatening experience that I have encountered, and we have met literally hundreds of dogs.

On another note...ferrets can be VERY persistent, and might make your dog nervous. Again...I would wait to see how they get along before making any decisions.

T
Flakyfreakyferretlady
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 07:38:45 PM »

Yes, dogs and ferrets can certainly get along very well Smiley   My aunt has a dog, a Kerry Blue Terrier of all breeds, and he loves my ferrets, we were VERY careful and slow with intro's, but now we take them for walks together, and they play nicely Cheesy .  I've ben outside with my ferrets and have people approach with thier dogs, and I pick up my boy/girl and let the dog sniff me and then if they seem calm, the ferret sniff them, then them the ferret.  It's important to let the ferret sniff first while the dog is held, as this establishes the ferret's dominance in the pack, ie the dog understands he is 'below' the ferret.  Since ferrets are 'predator' animals, not 'prey' animals, and dogs CAN smell this, know this, I find they are respectable in most cases.  But, yes, ferrets can make dogs nervous when they persist in wanting to play, nip toes, chase the dog, and a nervous dog is not a safe dog, so that has to be stopped.  When I go home to visit my parents we have a beagle/rotti mix who is very nervous of the ferrets.  He is respectful and knows they are above him in status, ie knows he isn't allowed to defend himself, and so ends up climbing on our laps, so we just keep them seperate now for the dog's sanity. Tongue So having a dog and ferret can be done as long as you are slow, careful and make the dog understand the pecking order.  
Jade
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 03:28:31 PM »

hey I know from experince that Ferrets and large dogs do well together with time,patience and a keen eye mind you Cheesy  I have seven ferrets, one very large rottweiler, and one very large labrador retriever puppy  Regan who was raised with my fuzzies, they all love each other and all it took was introductions from the time my puppy was little I allowed her to meet them and play, but I made it very clear to Regan right form the start that she had to be very gentle. The only difference for you will be sharing the love you already have for a ferret with a puppy aswell. But in the end it is all how much you fell you can handle Wink

P.S Bernese Mountain dogs tend to be a very tolerant gently breed, and a soft mouthed breed, therefore it is a good breed choice if you deside to keep your frankie.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 03:31:34 PM by Jade » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: