Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Question about a growth on a ferret
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question about a growth on a ferret  (Read 1317 times)
nantrax

« on: July 29, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »

Hello all,

I have a friend who has a ferret (she claims she's around 2 years old). Recently a little growth has been seen on her back, it doesn't bother the ferret or nothing but she's curious. I think maybe she cut herself and it's a result of that.

She took 3 pictures, they are not very clear but hopefully it helps.

If anyone has an idea, it would be appreciated.

Regards,
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 01:28:55 PM »

That is looks like a mast cell tumor to me, I suspect Jen will be on this.  I'll give her a nudge for you.   
nantrax

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 02:02:24 PM »

I imagine it would best to send my friend to a vet with ferret experience?
Kalimata

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 11:41:39 AM »

Mast cell tumor, not too big either.  Ferrets will get these tumors.  They are benign and you don't really have to worry about them unless they become infected, or become large (like nickle size).  Sometimes they will resolve themselves, and sometimes they are there for life.  No big deal really.  Ferrets don't get terminal skin cancer, and when they do get these skin tumors they can look absolutely horrible, but be of no concern.

A point of note;  I cannot stress this point enough, it is imperative that you take your ferret to a ferret wise vet.  We have had ferrets put down by other organizations for things like this, and have had mast cell tumors misdiagnosed as ringworm.  Ferrets can present with symptoms that very closely resemble fatal conditions in other animals, and yet are very treatable, or of no concern altogether.  A ferret vet will recognize them and be able to treat accordingly.  A vet who has no ferret experience may not and euthanize.  Not the vet's fault, but it has happened.

That wasn't necessarily for you, but for all our parents.  Fuzzy ferrets are unique animals, and have unique medical needs.

Regards
Jaymz

P.S. If your friend is concerned, have her call the ferret phone.  We're always happy to help out Cheesy
nantrax

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 02:07:32 PM »

Thank you for the info. She's trying to find a family for the ferret and I explained that she would need to look after the "tumor" before trying to find a new family.

We have vets in our area but I doubt they know ferrets that much. Our vet is about 50 minutes away and he's amazing, I need to convince her to go see him.

Now all I need is to translate your message in french for her.  Grin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: