Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ bite marks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: bite marks  (Read 1328 times)
Marie

« on: June 05, 2010, 07:09:20 AM »

Hi,

I have a question regarding Rambo and Simba....  They've always been in the same cage (for the last 2 yrs) without a problem, but lately, I hear them playing more rough than usual.  I also noticed two bite marks on Rambo, one with a little bit of dry blood on the side of his belly and one tiny mark close to his eye......

Should I separate them??

Thanks for your advice!

Marie

Marie
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:50:16 AM »

Could Simba be sick in some way, Adreanal perhap, that could make Simba aggressive.  I would have thought you would have heard a scuffle if they have been fighting. Is there something sharp in the cage perhaps that could have caused an injury?  Could the wounds be insect bites?   

I hope Jen picks this up as she has way more knowlege then me regarding Adreanal disease.

I'll email Jen too.

Good Luck with this Marie, let us know the outcome.

Ferrettaxi
FRSO Board

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 04:53:06 PM »

Adrenal issues would have to be my first guess. However, if Simba is sick, as Kim pointed out, aggressive behaviour isn't unheard of.  Keep an eye on them, see if it's an on going issue and if it's always the same ferret instigating, being more aggressive, and the other being more submissive. If it's adrenal you may have other signs...Hair loss at the tip or base of tail. Male ferrets also have a tendency to dribble when peeing and they are more prone to "mount" when showing signs of dominance. When in doubt, a vet visit is ALWAYS a sure bet.

Best of luck,
Jen
Marie

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 04:45:44 AM »

I did hear them play more rough lately.  They have their own room now though so they're out most of the time and I'm not always close by.   Simba has always been more of a biter and I remember he used to be very rough when I first got him and Rambo is definitely submisive!!

Simba has lost a lot of weight last year, but Dr Auger seemed to think it was normal (April 2009).  He's now half of Rambo's size (since last summer) but he used to be the fat one (in winter 2008) Huh  Could it be a sign of adrenal disease?  There is no hair loss or other signs.  He's still an energetic little devil  Smiley

Also something weird, it seems like Simba cleans Rambo's ears lately.  They are always perfectly clean???  It was not the case last year.....

Thank for your advice it's appreciated!

Marie
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 09:09:17 AM »

To be on the safe side I would go back to Dr Auger.  It's not good when they lose so much weight although seasonal changes are normal.   
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: