Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ FRSO Updates
| |-+ Announcements
| | |-+ FRSO and our current situation, please read.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: FRSO and our current situation, please read.  (Read 1774 times)
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« on: June 02, 2010, 04:04:28 PM »

Dear Members

Our loyal community is not aware but it has been a difficult few weeks while the board of the FRSO has been trying to find a way to deal with our current crisis.  Writing to you was not an easy decision. Our main problem is too many ferrets, too few funds and not enough volunteers, albeit this is nothing new to any rescue organization. The board discussed the notion of closing our doors to new surrenders for a while, though that only lasted just a few days. To be honest, we realize it may be what we should do, but are committed to not allowing that to happen.  We briefly discussed the idea of closing our doors full stop. We decided instead, that for now, we will be more selective as to what ferrets we do accept, as we simply cannot continue to take in ferrets that are near death's door. They end up costing the Rescue in large veterinary expenses, time and heartache, only to lose them after a few weeks. These dear souls are, sadly, a huge drain on our limited funds. We also need to adopt or foster as many ferrets as we can in the next month. A number of 40 ferrets in one person's home is just too much to contend with.  This large number of rescue ferrets costs $500 a month in food alone.  We use on average 10 bags of wood pellets a month, deal with huge amounts of laundry detergent and gallons of vinegar (as a fabric conditioner, cleaner, mixed with water and detergent and as an odour neutraliser).  We use almost a bottle of Ferretone per month during nail trimming, mountains of old newspapers, and at least 12 rolls of paper towels.  All this before the vet bills come in.

For these reasons we admit we are in desperate need of your help please.  In the past, you, our members, along with the rest our ferret community, have been wonderfully generous. We are again in a position where we need to ask for monetary assistance or donations specifically to help with our current situation. Item donations include good quality kibble (for example, Totally Ferret, 8in1 Ultimate, Before Grain Chicken cat food), kitchen towels, wood pellets for litter, HE laundry detergent, white vinegar, Ferretone, and old newspapers.

In addition to our plea for generosity, we have come up with a solution to help get our foster numbers down or at least reduced to a more manageable number from the one main foster home. We have lowered the cost of adoptions from $200 to $100 for a ferret under 2 years old, and to $50 for a ferret over two.  We will still adopt out the big Montreal boys for $200, as they are young, healthy and adorable and have already cost us with the neutering surgeries. (not that our other ferrets are not all adorable, with the exception of Spitz).  

As always, if anyone is able to foster that would also be a great help. MaryBeth now has a month old baby, continues to run a large riding stable and her other business and whilst she does her very best to be wonder woman, she is not.  I have to admit I am not a spring chicken anymore, and while I can get round to the rescue most days, I feel immense guilt on the days that I can't. I have my own home to run, a husband and my own furkids, in addition to special needs rescue ferrets. Jen is very much overbooked and overworked with her own ferrets plus our palliative care fosters, a full time job, all the while trying to manage home visits for potential adoptive families, intake of surrenders and event organization.      

Finally, if anyone can offer us some time as volunteers at fundraisers, in particular, that would also share the load.  We already greatly appreciate those that turn out regularly to help. We are indebted to these people but clearly, we still need more bodies. We have many great plans for fundraising for these special pets but so little time to implement our ideas.

In conclusion, we do know we can get over this hump, but we will not be able to go it alone. Again, we appreciate that times are tough for our local families and other charitable groups.  At the end of the day, keep in mind these little animals find themselves in a situation they did not ask for, and had no control over, possibly disowned, abandoned, abused or simply pushed aside and at the end of the day, all we want is what is best for them. We have every intention of continuing to see that they get it.  Please help us.

Thank you for your patience and consideration.

Warmest Regards,
Kim Bedelle
Secretary, FRSO
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:34:01 AM by Georgiesmom » Logged
Ferrettaxi
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 03:07:54 AM »

I'd like to thank Kim for taking the time to post our message. I wasn't an easy decision for us to make nor was it easy for us to admit that we are all burning out. Why do we do this? For the ferrets. And it's because of them that we would hate to have to start to turn away surrenders, and heaven forbid, close our door. For they would have no where else to go.

Please keep in mind, for those of you interested in making a donation of goods, such as litter, paper towels, laundry detergent, ferret food, etc. a tax receipt will be issued for any donations over $20 with receipt. If you are unable to drive out to Dunrobin to make the drop off, or have no vehicle access, please contact us and we would be more than happy to help.

As ALWAYS, we would like to thank our dedicated volunteers and our strong and loyal community who always help see us through the dark times.

Thank you for you support,
Jennifer Leaman
V.P. FRSO
Ferrettaxi
FRSO Board

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 06:19:02 AM »

It is with great regret and sadness that the FRSO will have to temporarily close it's doors to new surrenders. The board has struggled with this decision for months and we have found no other alternative. Our vow: "to give the best possible care to our fosters" can only be achieved if this is done.

In the interim, any families looking to place their ferrets will have their requests posted on our “Ontario or Quebec Ferret Exchange” part of the Forum. If anyone can help by taking on any of these surrenders or by fostering any of our current charges please contact the rescue.

You patience, understanding and continued support is always appreciated.

(Please note: To foster any FRSO ferret you must be subjected to a home visit and have a valid FRSO membership. In return the rescue will cover any and all medical expenses for all fosters.)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: