Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Ferrets and Vacations?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ferrets and Vacations?  (Read 1518 times)
Slinky

« on: May 30, 2010, 04:23:34 PM »

Hi there! I'm actually new to this forum, I hope it's not bad form to just jump in and ask a question but I am in a bit of a jam...

I would like to go to England in early September to visit my sister in law. Do you guys know of a trustworthy place where I could leave my ferret for about 10 days? I mean if she was a dog or a cat I could find some people to take her, but let's just say that no one else seems to "get" my ferret. I don't want to leave her with people who won't know how to take care of her - it wouldn't be enjoyable for her or for them.

Any thought or advice?

Thank you,

Stéphanie
alliemackie

Rescue Geek

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 04:52:22 PM »

The FRSO offers ferret sitting services, and are discounted to members. Smiley Your ferrets are boarded wit a ferret-savvy boarding family. There's more info on the products page here:

http://ferretrescue.ca/shopping.php

ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 05:04:16 PM »

FRSO Ferret Sitting is available to those in the Ottawa area...
http://ferretrescue.ca/shopping.php

I hear the prices will be changing soon, but not sure what or when.

Webmaster
Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Slinky

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 07:18:43 PM »

Thank you both! I'll get her ADV tested and ear checked ASAP (I assume Dr. Auger can do that for us?)

Stéph
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 08:53:14 AM »

Hi Slinky, how old is your ferret, it should have come to you with a ADV certificate which is good for a year?

Ferrettaxi
FRSO Board

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 11:37:52 AM »

Unfortunately most pet store purchased ferrets are only given their first set of shots, Distemper. They DO NOT arrive already ADV tested.

What the pet stores don't tell you is a baby ferret, "kit", needs to be boostered with the Distemper shot, at 1month intervals, for a total of THREE shots. Therefore, a kit, has already been given it's first shot at around 8weeks, the second should be given between 12-14weeks and the final, third shot, at 16-18 weeks. Once completed the kit will also need a Rabies shot. This should then be followed by a yearly vet visit, at which time the ferret will only need 1 shot of Distemper and 1 of Rabies.  Remember, the best type of Distemper is that specifically designated for ferrets. PLEASE ask your vet which type they use and make sure it is NOT for dogs.

After the age of 2, the ferret can then go every 3years for a Rabies shot and every 2years for a Distemper shot.

We at the FRSO recommend that ADV be tested once a year. If you can't make it, or have missed one of our ADV clinics, a saliva test can be ordered on line at:
www.avecon.com/adv_elisa_orderform.html

Hope this helps,
Jen
Slinky

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 04:45:27 PM »

Thank you both for your replies, my ferret is actually over 5 years old now. She is due for a checkup anyway, so I'll ask about the test at that time...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: