Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Ferret changing colour
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ferret changing colour  (Read 1076 times)
ferrilicious

« on: May 13, 2010, 07:24:03 PM »

So long story short. I have a 3 year old sable ferret that i used to let run around and never had her caged until..... she chewed a hole in the dryer hose vent and got outside through the vent hole. This happened during the winter. So when i saw she was gone and the hole in the dryer vent I canvassed the neighborhood going house to house...no luck. That night she returned home scratching at the back door to get in...she was solid white like the snow. But i knew it was her! I took her to the vet to have her checked out and she was in prefect health (thank God). Anywho...it's been two years since the "incident" and she's still pure white...she never turned back to her sable colour.
2 weeks ago I adopted a young sable ferret and intergraded them together….guess what my girl started to turn back sable! Crazy. Unfortunately the little girl I adopted turned out to have cancer and I had to put her down. Okay so that story was long, lol.

I really hope i don't seem like a bad mom to let my ferret get out. I swear if i would have thought that was a possiblity i would have never let that happen.

On a side note ….THANK-YOU sooo much Kim for helping me with my little girl (daisy). I’m forever in your dept for dealing with everything and helping me.

Daisy - ferret (resuce)
Docker - Great Dane (resuce)
Dexter - kitten (resuce)

Lots of fish (hobby)
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 02:13:38 PM »

That's really odd, I have never heard of that before.  I had a large sable male who didn't have a mask but a blob shape on his head, that changed shape every shedding season.  Hopefully, someone with a little more knowledge then I will pick this up and have an answer

You are not a bad ferret mom because your ferret escaped, we all know how expert they are at breaking free from anywhere and everywhere.   

Re: Daisy......you are welcome, she now lies beside little Meeko, Beth's Smudge and Roxy. 
Ferrettaxi
FRSO Board

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 05:19:57 PM »

To any of you owners, the most common mistake made by ferret parents is...  Underestimating their intelligence, and not giving them enough credit.  They can, and will go in, get into, escape to, escape from anything.  Mine have used tools to facilitate their egress, have learned how cabinets work, and can open drawers.

We do our best to contain them, but we don't always succeed.  Don't feel bad.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: