Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Baby Wants to Eat Mommy!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Baby Wants to Eat Mommy!!!  (Read 1584 times)
xrayspex

« on: May 08, 2010, 10:30:52 PM »

We have a very sweet & very smart little ferret that is all lovable & affectionate. Rocket is our 3 year old little female that is demonstrating a very odd personality quirk. Rocket bites mommy but not in aggression. Rocket will, upon reaching my wife after being let out of her cage, will begin to lick my wifes arm and then test it with a few little nips. Then the nips will become increasingly sharper. She will never puncture the skin but can exert a considerable amount of force. She does not do this to me oddly enough but only to my wife. We believe it has something to do with skin texture.

CLICK ON ME & SMILE
http://youtube.com/18foxtrot
I am in "LONDON, ONTARIO"
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 11:24:15 AM »

Licks is kisses, we have several passionate ferrets at the rescue.  The nipping should be  discouraged though, we can all live with out a body piercing from our favourite pets.  A few of my own ferrets will nip me if my skin is wet.   
xrayspex

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 01:37:28 PM »

Her skin is not wet. We know this is not an aggression bite for sure. The little tykes sister just died a couple of days ago. We don't want to discourage bonding either. We love her so much. How can slow it down....also she does not do this to me
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:40:13 PM by xrayspex » Logged

CLICK ON ME & SMILE
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 02:04:21 PM »

Gently but firmly tell her "No", don't allow it to get to the nipping stage.  She sounds smart so will learn quickly not to even think about licking.  I know it's difficult but try not to make allowances for her because her sister has died.  It's easier to break the habit now before it becomes more aggressive.

Possibly she just wants attention or maybe your wife is just more tasty then you.

I am also sorry for your loss.
xrayspex

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 02:39:27 PM »

Thank you for your sympathy. Her name is Angel. She was an albino that had the cutest war dance I have ever seen . I cried so much. Now she is buried in that place in our back yard that we cherish. She now is with sisters Abigail & Chase.

If I could just get my wife to be a little harder on her but she does permit it. I wish she would not do this. Unfortunately the sun rises and sets over Rocket and I think the little bugger knows it!

CLICK ON ME & SMILE
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 03:18:22 PM »

Ferrets......... we love 'em and we hate 'em. 
Ferrettaxi
FRSO Board

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 05:22:05 PM »

Try some bitter apple on the hands, so if nibbles happen, they don't taste so good.  A warning;  COMPLETELY WASH YOUR HANDS!.  Very early on in my parenting days, we used bitter apple to train my Luna.  Daddy didn't wash his hands completely, and some time later nibbled on a finger nail.  Pops never used bitter apple again. (And I don't bite now, so hey, victory!)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: