Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ We're on Facebook!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: We're on Facebook!  (Read 2589 times)
alliemackie

Rescue Geek

« on: May 03, 2010, 11:30:12 AM »

Many of you probably alrewady know about the FRSO Facebook group, but we've recently made a fan page, since it's more catering top nonp[rofits and we're able to share more information with you this way.

Check out the page and join here:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ferret-Rescue-Society-of-Ottawa/114051891965349

Thanks as always, everyone! Smiley

Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:01:29 PM »

You don't drag your heels do you Allie, thank you very much.
alliemackie

Rescue Geek

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 02:21:52 PM »

I enjoy getting things done.  Cheesy

ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:03:57 PM »

Sorry for my ignorance, but how is this better than the official ferret rescue facebook group that I have to keep updated because no one else is maintaining it?   It hosts photos, has events, can be used to invite group members to events, has a discussion area.... looks similar to the features available in the fan page.  Am I missing something?

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
alliemackie

Rescue Geek

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:24:37 AM »

The biggest differences have to do with reaching the audience. Many people join Facebook groups, but discussions that come up and such aren't seen by the people who join the group unless they actively click on the group.

With fan pages, you can post news items, stories and events directly to the page's wall, which in turn shows up on the news feeds of the people who joined the group, so the goings-on of the organization are continually being shown to the fans. Pages were created with businesses and nonprofits in mind, so that they can reach their "fans" with a more direct approach. Otherwise, it's a lot like groups - photos can be added, discussions can be generated, etc.

Groups are a bit more catered to clubs and the like - where people will continue to actively seek out discussions and add their own.

I know you've been keeping the group maintained, which is awesome. I wonder if I transfer you admin status on the fan page, you can help on the page and we can get folks transferred to the page? I don't want to steal thunder or anything! A page just seemed more ideal of a situation for the FRSO.

Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 12:02:25 PM »

Wow there Alliemackie, you are not stealing anyones thunder, we are hugely indebted you for what you are already doing.  Jen is as she will admit a techno-tard and I am an oldie (but goldie) who has no clue, we need it spelled out to us.  Keep doing what your doing, that's an order!   
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 06:15:03 PM »

The only reason I was maintaining the group is because no one else was.  Since there is now an alternative that is being maintained, I have withdrawn from the group.  The remaining board members can do with it as they wish.

Webmaster
alliemackie

Rescue Geek

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 09:03:22 PM »

Okay, I think the group should stay up, but perhaps with a message that all activity will be happening at the page? I can add that if that's the case.

Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 09:07:08 PM »

This is for the ferrets, to raise our profile a little. There is no need for anyone to be offended as that was not the intention.  We need more revenue, we have a lot of older ferrets right now, therefore raising our profile in anyway is not a bad thing.   We have ferrets needing Deslorelin implants, a few needing dental. Another with a raging bacterial infection that is, it would appear, resilient to his medication. I see these little guys at the rescue everyday, I want for us to be able to afford their treatment.  I  for one, don't actually care where we are noticed just so long as we are.   This is for the ferrets.
alliemackie

Rescue Geek

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 09:21:59 PM »

Yup! I really hope this works out as a great "public face" for the FRSO ferts, their stories and such, and drum up donations and recognition, because heaven knows the funds are sorely needed.

I'm passing the word to some folks I know who are involved with other ferret rescue groups, and other ferret fanatics as well. Word of mouth is the best way! Be sure to pass on the page info to anyone you know who uses Facebook and would be interested!

ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 06:30:47 AM »

Clearly I'm not being clear.  I have been waiting 2 years for the board or another member to take back the operation of the group which I inherited when another board member left.  I see no need to duplicate efforts when volunteer time is in short supply.  Since the board has chosen to go with a Fan page, and has someone eager and willing to maintain it, I see no need for me to continue stretching my limited resources in maintaining the group.  Trust me, I've got lots of other things that need to get done!

Webmaster
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 11:48:10 AM »

What is a pity is that this was aired on the forum for all to see.
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 02:27:39 PM »

Moderators "Viper"and "alliemackie" are free to move or delete whatever posts they deem inappropriate.

Webmaster
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: