Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Grapes?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Grapes?  (Read 1101 times)
jenen21

« on: April 27, 2010, 12:19:52 PM »

Hi All
Just wanted to update you on the newest adventures of Bailey and Steve.....
They have both had their rabies  and their distemper shots and did very well at the vets.....everyone comments on what good little ferrets they are.......Then I tell them about the adventures of Bailey and Steve.....
Bailey has decided that all of the expensive ferret food I buy for him is not good enough.....he prefers to be a fruit eater...or a fruitasaurus as I have taken to calling him.....He got into a bag of grapes the other day....I had left them up on a counter(which he can apparently get onto) and dragged the bag of grapes onto the floor....when I got back from checking on the horses (20 min or so) there where grapes everywere......in the kitchen, in the hallway, in the main room and in the bath room....I found the bag with some remaining grapes on the way to on of his stashing areas......when i try to take the bag away he has the ferret hissy fit and is going all crazy ferret.......
after cleaning up all the mess i contain the little bugger in his house and try to see how many grapes he has eaten...(Steve is asleep thru all of this and he doesnt like grapes ate all...Steve is a meatasaurus)I cant really tell how many grapes are gone but most of them have teeth marks in the and a few are half eaten....I call my vet to see if grapes are a problem and they dont really know if the are for ferrets.....apperently in dogs it can cause some kidney problems.....so i keep Bailey contained to keep an eye on him and he is just fine....he had a couple of loose poops but is drinking and active and all normal.....
The big question is are grapes ok for ferrets? now i do mean in small amounts and once in a while.....Bailey will not be having access to bags of grapes ever again Roll Eyes
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 09:02:28 PM »

I would put grapes in the same category as raisins.. just watered down versions.  Most ferrets love them, but over time or in large quantities, it's not good for them. 

Webmaster
Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
dodgingwrenches

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:50:49 AM »

Fruit has too much sugar, so should be used very sparingly as a treat.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: