Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ Introductions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Hi!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 1541 times)
Annie
FRSO Board

Hi!
« on: April 11, 2010, 06:56:12 PM »

Hello Everyone,
I've been a member of this forum for about a year and I completely forgot to introduce myself.
I am the owner of 3 crazy ferrets, 2 cats and 1 fish.
After 3 years of "thinking about it", I decided to jump in and find a ferret.  I had 2 things in mind when I decided to own a ferret:  a living toy for my indoor cats and a very good way of studying the behaviour of a new species ( I am studying domestic cat behaviour from an ethological point of view). 
I didn't want to buy ferrets from a pet store.  1st of all because I don't believe in selling animals for profit because it never benefit the animals and 2nd because I didn't want to support Marshall and Canadian Ferret mills (I still believe they are ferret mills).  Beside, so many animals are abandoned.
So I've adopted through classified ads. 
Wita, my female partial albino, came in first in January 2009.  5 months old and I was at least her third family.  She was in a very very poor shape.  I couldn't let her where she was.  I gave her the name of Wita for 2 things: “Wit” (pronounce “Vit”) in Dutch means white and “Vita” in Italian means “life” which was surely her case.  With good food, love and patience, she became a real beauty.
Abby, silver panda, came in about 3-4 weeks after Wita because I found out it was way too much work to care for only 1 ferret.  2 would at least play together while I can’t.  And, obviously, Wita was giving signs of boredom after 2 weeks.  Wita became so frantic when she saw Abby for the first time!  Both got along very well at first sight.  Abby was 6 months when I got her.  A few weeks later, she became in heat.  My vet had a very sad prognosis:  She probably had adrenal cancer.  2 Lupron shots later in May, Abby’s vulva came back to normal.  Even though I didn’t believe my vet’s prognosis, I decided to get a 3rd ferret, in case Abby had to be put to sleep one day or another.  I didn’t want Wita to be alone again as she was evolving a lot better with other ferrets around.
And that’s when Fripouille came in.  Fripouille was a 1 year old standard sable male.  Very easy going, he got along very well with both females.
Since then, I still have my 3 Marshall ferrets.  1 year later, my vet had to get to the obvious:  Abby really is in heat.  She probably has a small part of ovary in her abdomen.
I still discover a lot of things about my ferrets.  I sometimes find it heavy but they are also very funny and surprising.
See you all soon!

Annie,
Thori (8 yo Maine Coon cat),
Abby (3 yo ferret),
Wita (3 yo ferret)
Ferrettaxi
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:34:06 AM »

Well let me be one of the first to welcome you to our small but happy and devoted community of crazy ferret lovers. Your "children" sound very lucky to have found you for their forever home. I look forward to the opportunity of meeting you all at some of out upcoming events.
Jen
Annie
FRSO Board

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:21:46 PM »

I noted about the "happy an devoted" community.  I wish we also had that in Montreal area.  I wish I'll be able to see you all in an upcoming event real soon.   Smiley

Annie,
Thori (8 yo Maine Coon cat),
Abby (3 yo ferret),
Wita (3 yo ferret)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: