Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Sprains or Strains
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sprains or Strains  (Read 7211 times)
Annie
FRSO Board

« on: April 09, 2010, 01:31:17 PM »

Greetings,

Since yesterday morning, one of my ferret can't walk on her right front leg.  In fact, yesterday she was barely putting weight on it and this morning she couldn't at all.  Having had MANY sprains myself, I know for a fact that it's always more painful the day after so I guess that's what she may have.  I moved, stretched, bent (fold), the leg and paw and she didn't seem to feel pain.  She is eating and drinking well but sometimes she is falling when she stays too long on her left leg.  It must be hard for a ferret to stay on one leg all the time.  I also compared both legs and she doesn't seem to have a lot of swelling.

Since this morning, I have put her away from the others, alone in a pen with a comfy place to sleep, litter, water and food very close so that she doesn't have to walk a lot.

My question is:  Did it happen to any of you?  If so, what did you do?  Right now I don't see the urge of running to my vet.  I prefer to try homemade recipe and see how things evolve.  I treated one of my cat with Dr. Reckeweg homeopathic drops and it worked very well.  I was wondering if the R55 would be good or bad on my ferret.  I would have tried it if I knew if the ingredients are non-toxic to ferrets.

Annie,
Thori (8 yo Maine Coon cat),
Abby (3 yo ferret),
Wita (3 yo ferret)
Ferrettaxi
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 08:50:46 AM »

I must admit I'm at a loss...
In our experience at the rescue, almost all hind end weakness is due to a cancerous mass on the spine or a spinal injury. When it has been cancer related, we've assisted  the animal in crossing the bridge. In spinal injuries, since surgery cannot be performed, it all depends on the severity of the damage and the will of the animal to continue. In either case, BOTH legs have shown signs of being injured/weak or paralyzed, not just one.

We have had some ferrets get large "skin tags" and almost "planters" type wart growths on their paws. The skin tags get so enlarged that they eventually need to be removed for fear of getting caught on something and the warts, depending on were they are located on the paw, can become open sores and infected thus needing antibiotics to treat and surgery to remove.

A sprain or pulled muscle could be possible if the ferret got caught somewhere and hurt themselves trying to get out. It sounds like you've fully checked the leg for signs of pain and any signs of markings, not to mention swelling. What about it's colour and feel. Hot or cold? If the skin looks very white (check the foot pad) the leg could be loosing blood circulation. There was one case when an owner came home to find that the ferret had got their paw caught in the hammock and had spent the day, stuck, hanging by it. The animal lost all blood circulation to the paw and the leg died. I know it's scary but we all know how fast things can hit these guys and they are small animals.

I am NOT A VET, and neither are any of the board members. Our policy has, and will always be: When in doubt, go to the vet. I PERSONALLY do think that you are doing everything by the book and are a good "parent": having thoroughly checked the leg, separated the animal from others, keep an eye on it's food and water intake, keep and eye on it's poops, keep a VERY CLOSE eye on it's mood, activity/energy level over the next little while.

If there are ANY changes to ANYTHING, and it was my little guy, OR if it doesn't get any better, I'd take them in.

Just my thoughts,
Jen

P.S.  I'm not familiar with "R55" so I would be very careful about giving it to the ferret as a form of treatment, for the same reasons you've also stated.
Annie
FRSO Board

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 01:58:59 PM »

Thank you very much for your answer Jen.

Well....  I have re-checked her again this morning and this time, when I've palpate her leg again, she began to be a little grumpy.  She wasn't putting weight on her leg for the 3rd day so I finally took the decision to go to the vet.  Lucky me, my vet was working this afternoon. 

He made an x-ray but no severe injury could be found.  Probable sprain!  She had some apparent swelling so it ended with 7 days of Metacam and 7 days of full rest. 

How am I suppose to keep a ferret to full rest for 7 days?   Roll Eyes  Give me some advise if you have.   For now she is very very calm and quiet but when she will begin to feel better, that won't last long.   Grin   I have 3 ferrets and if they are not out of their "palace" for at least 6 hours per day they go nuts.   Shocked

I guess that sprains and strains are not common among ferrets. 

I think she probably squeez her paw or leg while getting out of the cage on Thursday morning.  It was one of the rare time I let her out of the cage without helping her.  She is not the most agile ferret on earth.   Cheesy

Oh and Jen, Wita is a partial albino.  Would her paw be also white if she lost blood circulation? 

I have 2 special ferrets:  a partial albino and a "mini" Marshall ferret in heat (she weighs only 0.9 pounds).  Wink

Annie,
Thori (8 yo Maine Coon cat),
Abby (3 yo ferret),
Wita (3 yo ferret)
Ferrettaxi
FRSO Board

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 09:20:22 AM »

Glad to hear it's no more than a sprain or pulled muscle. To keep her quiet, don't let her out with the others, no ruff play, and, even though it won't be easy, try to keep her caged for the most part while she recovers. As for the colouration of her paw, she should still have pink paw pads, albino or not.
Just take her recovery a day at a time and TRY to keep her calm,
Jen
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: