Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Euthanasia and the Ottawa Veterinary Hospital.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Euthanasia and the Ottawa Veterinary Hospital.  (Read 4505 times)
Kalimata

« on: March 17, 2010, 03:48:56 AM »

Well I just want to start off by saying that this is not a critique, a complaint, or a comment on The Ottawa Veterinary Hospital.  They have been there to help us many times in the past, and we are grateful for it, this is merely a statement of fact.

The other night we found old Mr. Banditman (as his pops nicknamed him...) flat on the floor panting heavily, and hissing open mouthed.  I felt his abdomen and found it to be swollen yet very soft.  Figuring it was an internal hemorrhage we packed him off to the hospital for his final visit.

We were not allowed to be in attendance with Bandit as he was put down.  My wife and myself have personally attended too many euthanasia procedures to count, well above 25 anyway.  Even after explaining this to the staff, we still were not allowed to attend him.

I understand that to someone who hasn't been with a ferret when they are put to sleep, it might be disturbing, the manner in which the injection is given (in the heart, the liver, or in the abdominal cavity).  I understand the reasons for this.  I merely want to let you know that if you ever find yourself in the same situation, needing to put down a loved one after hours, be prepared for this.

Once again, this isn't a complaint or critique, I really do understand their reasoning, and they are a blessing to have at 23:00 when a fuzzie thunders in with something bad.  Just making you all aware of this so it does not come as a shock if you aren't allowed to attend.

Kali
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 09:33:50 AM »

So sorry to hear about Banditman.  I too have always been with my animals (and there have been many over the years)when they are put down.  I used to live in Nova Scotia where I was able to stay with my dying pet.

It seems to be an issue in Ottawa and not just at the hospital you mention.  I am sure that the clinics have their reasons but I don't understand what they could be if the owner requests to be present.  When Weasel had a bad turn last year and I did not want to take him all the way back to Crown Point I took him to Dunrobin Animal Hospital and they allowed me to be present and hold him for which I was very grateful at such a sad time.

I'm sure this subject will attract a lot of interest and thank you for bringing it to everyones attention.   I know of other pet owners who have been distressed by being excluded from their pets last few minutes of life.

Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 10:13:40 AM »

Following this posting about owners not being present for their pets euthanasia, I contacted my vet via email and asked her to explain the reasons that would exclude an owner being present.  This is a animal hospital in the city which most of us know and use.

I won't publish her response as it was personal and not from FRSO officially, however, it would appear to be at the vets discretion.  The gist of the reply was that some owners may find it too shocking to see their animal injected into the heart/liver whatever.  If an owner is going to get hysterical or uncontrollably emotional it is not going to help anyone.  But lets face it, if you've owned and lost animals you've been there and bought the T-shirt, it's not pleasant but most of us want to be with our fuzzy for his/her passing last moments.  

I have requested that my vet make a note of my file that I am to be permitted to be present should I need a pet euthanised, this she has done and for that I am very grateful and relieved.  I can only suggest that owners open a dialogue with their vet, before the time that an animal needs to be put to sleep.   If enough of us can persuade our vets to be more flexible with their policy then it can only be better for all of us.  
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 01:17:33 PM by Georgiesmom » Logged
Lenny07

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 11:25:39 AM »

I would say I agree that it would be vet discretion. They have to be precise when inserting the needle in order to ensure that it is as humane and painless as possible. If an owner is losing control because it's too hard on them that could throw the vet off and in the end it's the pet who is doomed to suffer more.

I would agree with georgiesmom saying that if you can handle that and wish to be there the best thing to talk to your vet prior to it even happening. When someone says something at the last minute it can be taken as impulse and the vet may not want to take the risk.

I'm quite sure if you talked to the vets at Ottawa animal hospital and mentioned that this is your preference and that you will be okay, in the future they will allow you to be present.
jenen21

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 05:49:20 PM »

Hi all
There is no reason that you should not be able to be with you pet(any pet)in its final hour/minutes....vets have the ability to give anesetic before hand if needed...be it by injection or with a gas mask.....yes they do go into the heart/liver but they can still give them some gas first.....they dont really have to worry about overdosing on the gas since the animal is being put to sleep.....i have been present at all of my own animals final moments and have used many vets...i refuse to be out of the room when it is being done....it is the owners reponsibility to be there for their pet.......
I apologize if i sound harsh, but this is your kid...you have raised them up or rescued them, everything but put them through university...your kid needs you there.....its hard and i know it.....but you need to be there for them....it is not about you anymore....its all for the kids.....
jenn
jenen21

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 08:45:15 PM »

sorry and need to apologize
Hi all

I am sorry and need to aplologize to all
I had a bad experence with one of my dogs....he was a 13 yr old golden retreiver who we got at  8 wks old....he had hot spots so bad that he was shaved his whole life....food allergies.....he was on $3000.00 of perscription meds a year....pet insurance didnt cover it.....we finally took him in to be put down  at the vets....he had started to lose control of his bladder.....they said we shouldnt be there......we left.....we went to the shelter a couple of weeks later and guess what.......there was our dog....waiting to be adopted.....the shelter was saying that he was only 8 and perfectly healthy.....he had olny been shaved because he was matted......needless to say we had a huge fight with the shelter and the vet clinic....
in the end he was put to sleep while we were there......
sure he could have been adopted from the shelter and eventually the new people would have taken him to the vet and found out what was going on and that he was 13 and had probably had this problem his whole life....so why would we put him and new people thru that?
you are responsible for your pets.....be there when they need you..
jenn
i do apologize again
sorry
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »

What a horrible experience.  I have always been with my animals, because I feel it is the right thing to do.  The possibility that the clinic would send my pet to the shelter would not have been on my radar.  You are right to bring it to peoples attention. 

My Golden 'Retarded' as Beth calls her, has allergies too but I refuse to pay hideous amounts of money for prescription diets, I use a limited ingredient diet which is a kibble, so far, so good.  She is also allergic to horses (I can control that one) but luckily not to ferrets or cats. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: