Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Food Allergies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Food Allergies  (Read 1197 times)
ferret_girl

« on: February 01, 2010, 01:08:21 PM »

My  4 year old ferret Ozzy has always had chronic ear infections for as long as I've had him (3 years). For years I had him on rotating meds (Surolan, Tresaderm and Burrows) to treat his ear infections but they always seemed to come back. Finally my vet suggested that perhaps it was food allergies that were causing the constant flare ups...I have no idea why it hadn't occured to me before that that was a possibility so I quickly decided to change his food. Ozzy had been eating Evo Ferret Ancestral Diet so I knew it was't grains that were bothering him (since Evo is grain free). I know it is becoming more common for pets to develop allerigies to chicken/ poultry proteins as well as to eggs so I switched him to Orijen 6 Fish cat food. I've had Ozzy (and my other 2 ferrets) on it for about 2 months now and he hasn't had one ear infection!!

I just want to make sure that this an appropriate long-term food for them...here are the first few ingredients:

Fresh deboned Salmon, Herring Meal, Salmon Meal, Russet Potato, Fresh Deboned Northern Walleye...

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein (min.) 40.0%
Crude Fat (min.) 20.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 2.5%
Moisture (max.) 10.0%
Calcium (min.) 1.5%
Calcium (max.) 1.7%
Phosphorus (min.) 1.4%
Phosphorus (max.) 1.6%
*Omega-6 (min.) 2.5%
*Omega-3 (min.)
     *DHA
     *EPA 1.4%
0.7%
0.5%
*Carbohydrate (NFE) 20.0%

*Glucosamine (min.) 1200 mg/kg
*Chondroitin (min.) 900 mg/kg
Microorganisms (min.) 120M cfu/kg
pH 5.0
Ash 7.0

Any advice would be great!

Thanks very much!

Ferrettaxi
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:39:07 PM »

No worries here, you've made an excellent food choice! Fish is FABULOUS for a ferret coat and skin, hence "Ferretone", made from fish oil. You made however noticed a slight change in litter box smell...it has been known to increase the potency of their poops Smiley But it's definitely worth the change if it helps with Ozzy's health.

Beth and I have also noticed and slight increase of the number of ferrets who appear to have food allergies. One of the other foods we have tried, which we recommend for older ferrets who cannot digest high protein diets such as Ennova Evo, is "Feline Medical Hypoallergenic". It can be purchased at your local vet's.

Keep us posted on the progress!
Jen
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: