Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Playing outside with the little ones...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Playing outside with the little ones...  (Read 1646 times)
Poopie

« on: January 06, 2010, 06:40:02 PM »

Does anyone here play out in the snow with their little fuzzy friends?  I would like to know how safe it is?  What do I have to watch out for, besides the obvious.  My little guy got his first taste of snow and he went coo coo!  He just loves it!  I did however keep him on his leash.  How long is too long?  Should they only be aloud out for five minutes?  Or is 30 OK?  How safe is the cold weather on their breathing?  I would just hate for my little "Poopie" to get sick!

Lynn
(Poopie's mommy)
Lenny07

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 10:22:01 PM »

We dont take ours out unless its quite mild then we can be outside for a good half hour before they go pulling for the stairs to the front door lol.. I would definitely say stay inside when its too cold out, I like mild days -5 - 0 or higher for outdoor playtime. I would also say definitely keep them leashed cause trying to chase a fuzzie that burrows in the snow is far from easy lol.
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 06:23:50 PM »

At -5 c or above, I let my guys play in the screen room, they have lots of beds and blankets and they love to play on the branches we removed from the Christmas tree and the snow that has blown in.

Outdoors in the snow, I'd be worried about their feet, their pads aren't hardened like a dogs.  My guys used to live outdoors in UK but (until this year) the temperatures aren't as extreme and it very rarely snows.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:09:29 AM by Georgiesmom » Logged
Fuzzie_fan
FRSO Board

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:11:55 PM »

Some of my kids love the snow - others look at me like I'm crazy for suggesting they should leave their nice warm play area.

For those that really like the snow I either let them play in an enclosed area with a door open for them to come and go as they please (I keep my eye on them just the same but this means several can play at once without me getting tangled in the leashes).  Ten minutes seems to be their tolerance level.

Do make sure you have leashes and harnesses if they are in an open space though - I actually put two harnesses on Liberty - she's far too much of a Houdini and I spent a good forty minutes last winter trying to coax her out of a perfectly good burrow under my front porch after she squeezed our of her harness burrowing in the snow.
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 08:02:18 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDcliCDQ4sk

I found this on youtube, these guys look like they are having a truly wonderful time in the snow.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: