Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ pipers infection
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: pipers infection  (Read 3006 times)
deb.barb

ferretlover

« on: August 28, 2009, 02:57:11 PM »

hi,
i have 7 beautiful ferrets and i am a member of nsw ferret society.
i am hoping you may have come across a problem like what i have with one of my ferrets. her name is piper and she is 10months old has never come in heat and has never had a swollen vulva.
3 months ago she had a green pus coming from her vulva.she has been to the vets numerous times,has been desexed where they found no pus in her uterus but it was slighty inflamed.her bladder looked fine and she has had 2 urinalysis done.
she has had her antibiotics changed from clavulox to baytril 0.06ml once a day.she has been on antibiotics for near 3months and the pus is still present. it stopped for a period of 5 days after her 1st course of baytril but since she restarted it the pus has not disappeared. i was told to give her a douche of warm water with a drop of vinegar in it that seems to help wash the pus out but it is obviously still infected somewhere. the vet has no idea where to go from here and i am worried sick about my little girl.can you please help me. the vet bill has been over $1000.00 but that is not the point.i will do anything to get her better. have you any ideas. can you please help at all.
deb,snuffles,bundy,piper,gibson,ivy,shaka,paws

Hi is this where I say ferrets are the best friends u can have and I have 4.Snuffles.Bundy.Gibson and Piper.
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 08:11:06 AM »

Sorry, I haven't seen anything like what you describe.  Have you tried searching the Ferret Health Archives or posting your question on the Ferret Health List?

Webmaster
Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
deb.barb

ferretlover

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 03:05:44 PM »

hi,

i have posted the question numerous places and have gained some help especially from a site called allexperts. it is a site that you ask questions and vets or people who have had ferrets for many years help you. it is a great site
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Ferrets-2277/
i also sent it to numerous ferret sites the other night in frustration and am just now getting feedback but no one has had the same problem so far.

i thankyou for your reply

deb

Hi is this where I say ferrets are the best friends u can have and I have 4.Snuffles.Bundy.Gibson and Piper.
ferret_girl

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 01:03:08 PM »

I don't know if this will help at all but it may be something to think about. A few years ago I used to own rats...I had this one older rat that had a similar situation to your ferret. At about age 2 1/2 he developed a purulent (pus)discharge from his penis that did not clear up on antibiotics regardless of how often we switched types or how long we used them. What we figured out is that he had developped an abcess in his prostate that would not resolve on antibiotics alone. Since he was so old we weighed the risks of anaesthetic and decided that since it did not seem to affect his quality of life we would manage the infection as best as we could without surgery.

Perhaps Piper has an abcess somewhere along her urinary/reproductive tract that refuses to resolve on antibiotics alone (as do many abcesses)...

Another thing to consider is...It's been seen in some dogs a purulent vaginal discharge that is solely associated with the vulva and not any other internal disease. Some dogs just have a "more hospitable" environment for infection and I would assume it goes the same for ferrets. Cleaning her vulva 3x/day with a mild antibacterial soap may help decrease chances for infection.

Has she had bloodwork done (mainly a profile and CBC)? A high white blood cell count can indicate some sort of systemic infection which might be useful in diagnosis.

I hope this might give you something to consider and possibly discuss with your vet.

Good Luck!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: