Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Ferret Cages
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Ferret Cages  (Read 41531 times)
Snuzanne
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 04:37:56 PM »

Thank You Smiley  
Weezilwitch
FRSO Members

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2006, 11:03:49 PM »

Some comments on the FN cage:

It can be assembled without the stand for anyone wanting floor-level access.

We had to modify ours because the cat likes to get into the cage to eat the ferrets' food and mess up their litter box.  We tried to order an extra "pass-through" bottom from Midwest.  They will have spare parts available starting January 2007.  We couldn't wait that long, so we bought the add-on and subbed its extra pass-through bottom for our cage's solid bottom.  It works like a charm, and the ferrets seem to like the new entrance - the ladder is propped on a Tupper tub to reduce the incline.  We also took out the shelf grill underneath - by using that as a cage top we can use the old solid bottom with the rest of the add-on and make a free-standing hospital or travel cage/ cat kennel/ cat-proof craft drying cabinet.  A bit pricey, but worth it.  I have chronic pain and range-of-motion issues and I simply cannot cope with a cage that needs to be disassembled in order to be cleaned.  The ferrets also like one other feature of the FN cage - by opening those wide doors up, I can lean right into the cage and "join" them in their hammie - always good for a few nose kisses!

Dook,
Maureen

I had a bad attitude a minute ago, but I think my ferret just swiped it.
Snuzanne
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2006, 04:57:13 AM »

Welcome to the Forums Weezilwitch,

I was trying to figure out what you did with the cage, and how that kept the cats out.  By putting the pass thru bottom instead of the solid bottom doesn't that make it easier for the cats to get in(unless they are really big cats)?  I am obviously picturing this wrong.  We just love the FN cage. I am an incomplete quad so I know all about chronic pain and restriction, so this cage is a dream.  We started with one, and then quickly bought another and then another so we have a bunch of extra unused cages on our hands.  One sold at the frolic but we will have to clean the others and donate those as well to get them off our hands.  I orignally bought the third level of the FN cage, but when we put in on, it was so high that I couldn't reach.  I am glad that they will be selling parts soon, since I would like to buy additional shelves.  I find that the older ferrets needed some help to get up to the shelves and another shelf would be helpful.  Right now, they are using a fuzzy floor to keep them from falling.  Do you have the website address for midwest or FN.  My husband through all the paperwork out.  Again, welcome to you and your ferret/cat family.

:rolleyes:
Sue

ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2006, 06:29:52 AM »

www.midwesthomes4pets.com/

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Weezilwitch
FRSO Members

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2006, 10:07:15 PM »

Cheesy Hi Snuzanne, thanks for the welcome!

I'll try to explain the cage situation better.  With the solid bottom in place, one of the doors had to be left open so the ferrets could get in and out of the cage to eat and drink.  Because Grizelda the cat eats ferret food, I can't simply put out food and water and block off cage access.  So I used a chain so that the door would only open partway. This meant two problems - first, I had to remove the chain every time I wanted to open the cage doors on the ground level, which was a real pain, and second, finding a width that the ferrets could get through and the cat couldn't was problematic - the opening was thin but tall, easy for the cat to squeeze through, unless I chained it up so small that I could barely get my hand in to release the chain, which fastens with a spring clip.

With the new bottom, the opening is square, which is harder for the cat to manage, since she'd have to squeeze herself in all directions at once - kind of like your ferret being able to flatten itself under a door, but not fit through a hole with a diameter the same height as the gap.  Also, because it's in the floor, she'd have to work her way up from under from a crouching position - much harder for a cat than walking foward.  Finally, the ladder for ferret access is hinged at one edge of the hole and is propped to angle gently across and down, effectively making the opening much smaller.  I'd have problems if I had a small kitten, but all my cats are full grown.

Hope that helps!

dook,
Maureen

I had a bad attitude a minute ago, but I think my ferret just swiped it.
OCFerrets
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2007, 10:42:31 PM »

I own two, two  level Ferret Nation Habitats. They're too nice and too well thought-out to be called simply a "cage" in my opinion. Approximately a week ago, we ordered our third two-level Ferret Nation Habitat and are awaiting its delivery.

There's nothing like the FN as far as I'm concerned. As Midwest Homes 4 Pets has the best customer service I've ever seen in a company. When they recently came up with safer half-levels for the FN Habitats, they provided them free of charge to anyone with a Ferret Nation. I have received all spare parts I have ever needed free of charge, no questions asked. They even deliver to my company's warehouse so I don't have to worry about where to have it delivered!

This is our current setup. The rice box in the corner was replaced with a huge Rubbermaid plastic box with lid. The cardboard and duct tape were a no-no, but only temporary!

The Kids' Playroom:

And our first setup, before we went with two two-levels:

Jeez, they didn't have a whole lot of toys and hammies when we had the three level! Now, its got tons of stuff in there to keep 'em occupied when they're not running amok in the house!  
Snuzanne
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2007, 04:25:53 AM »

Welcome Aboard L, Happy New Year,

How is the weather.  Probably not as cold.  Now fill me in since I haven't been out much, what is up with the levels on the FN cage..  I haven't had any problems with my 3 cages but I don't want to find out the hard way either.  I saw your website, very nice, are you still not allowed ferrets.  I thought the new Gov. was supposed to look after that 3 years ago.  What a drag for you guys.  Cute pics of your new friend, if I find some from his summer days at the cottage I'll send you some but they are fast little guys although he does like to be around people.  We still miss him around our house, even the heath care staff still keep checking the cage to see if he is back yet.  Anyhow, please get back to me on the cage, since several of us are now using the FN cage and could use the info.  Double Thanks

Snuzanne
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2007, 10:03:56 AM »

I did some googling and found the following information about the FN shelves:

http://forum.ferret.com/tm.asp?m=5011

In short, if your shelves have a gap as described, it would be best to either get them replaced or to modify/cover them.

Lynn

Webmaster
Snuzanne
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2007, 11:25:01 AM »

I guess we never noticed it because I always keep a blanket tucked over and around and tied underneath since that made it easier for those ferrets who don't like ladders.  But I sure will try and get the new shelves.  Better safe than sorry.

Thanks Lynn
OCFerrets
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2007, 09:40:41 PM »

The weather is redmarkably warm for winter here, just as it is over much of the United States (except for Colorado where they're almost snowed in). I wore shorts today - which granted, is pretty weird for any area in winter.

Agreed that Gov. Schwarzenegger should have done something about the stupid ban on ferrets in California years ago, when he promised that he would. Typical of him though, he became a politician that speaks only half-truths and went back on his word, when he refused to sign the amnesty bill we placed before him back then. This past year, AB647 died as well - since the author of the bill decided not to put it before committee in time. It was called a snafu, or a mistake - but I call it utter B.S. (which I think is understood to mean the same in English as well as au francais...  Wink ).

Getting back to the Ferret Nation...

If you fill out this form online, and let them know you have heard about the shelf replacements, they will send you your replacements.

Form:  http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/ContactUs/emailform.asp

That's all I had to do, and within about a week and a half, I had all new shelves sent to me. This was done because many ferrets were getting their toes caught in the leading edge of the shelf. Never happened to me, but you can never be too careful. Those FN owners who wrap their shelves are very wise to do so.

In case I haven't mentioned it today.... How's my buddy Lancelot?!?
Snuzanne
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2007, 04:01:25 AM »

Thanks for the info.  Always better safe that sorry.  Last I heard about Lancelot was that he was having some difficulty eating all his duck soup on his own, but was enjoying being syringe fed.  When he was here, he loved being spoon fed especially in bed in the morning.  I don't have as many ferrets so we start bad habits here sometimes just because the little guys need it for awhile.  He also used to eat it off my fingers if he was really tired.  Cute or what. Well, our family also develop an attachment with him and we were very sad when he left but that is the case with becoming a foster parent, the little guys are moved around and you have different ones at different times.   Thanks again for the info on where to get the cage repairs.

Dooks, Smiley

Snuzanne  

(still not checked for either spelling nor grammar- much too early in the AM)
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2007, 10:07:26 PM »

Lance is doing OK.  His mouth has been bothering him the past couple of days so he's been eating his soup with the help of a syringe.  He did make it down to the main floor this morning to make sure everything was in order and then curled up under my roommates desk for a nice nap.  Today he went for his monthly Lupron shot.  Other than pooping on a towel during the shot, he took it well.

Webmaster
OCFerrets
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2007, 06:56:24 PM »

Thank you so much for the update on little Lancelot!

I think that a poopie on a towel is a wonderful thing! As long as what's going it one end is coming out the other - all is well!

lol

alliemackie

Rescue Geek

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2008, 09:08:19 AM »

Excellent suggestions! It made me glad to know that when I looked at the topic, as a hopeful soon-to-be-ferret parent, all of the "goods" were things I was looking for for a ferret home. Smiley

I have one question, and this is purely curiousity because I've never heard of it before - why are corner litter boxes bad as opposed to rectangular ones?

Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2008, 10:42:39 AM »

It's not that they are bad - it's that they are basically too small for an adult ferret.

Keep on Dooking!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: