Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Ferret Cages
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Ferret Cages  (Read 41530 times)
Sci-Ferret

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 06:43:51 AM »

Actually, the sales person said she owns 3 ferrets, as well as other small animals, so I was kinda inclined to believe her. To each their own I guess.

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
Snuzanne
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 05:58:26 AM »

Does SuperPets carry the 3 level FN cage or just the 2 level one.  We have two large cages already but perhaps we will go down to just 1 large cage especially if we don't find Natasha since Tamara is too lonely alone in her large cage.  Toob-rat complains that the cages we have are difficult to keep clean ( the shelves are all plastic and you must remove them all for a good clean), so perhaps the FN cage would be better.  Also the 2 large cages, take up alot of room, so 1 cage would be best. We had to split them up since the eldest ferret was picking on Natasha to the point that she was screaming for help.  Now that she is not here, we have had to put Tamara in with the boys and so far, they have all been getting along.  I still think that they are all in shock since they are following us around like puppies and they never did that as often prior to Natasha escape.  Also was the FN cage expensive?  The picture of the inappropriate cage at the beggining of this thread was a shocker not so much for the size but because of the padlocks.  Did that poor ferret ever get out of its cage. It reminded me of the cage that one of our ferrets came from.  He was rescued from my son's friend who just wanted one because we had one. He kept the poor thing in an unfinished basement, in wood chips,  and never even spoke to him. I paid him just to get him to give up the poor thing.  He lost out on a great pet because that ferret is just a great ball of fun fur.  Thanks for the info.

Sad ferret Mom Sad  Sad

Kalimata

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 11:43:58 AM »

Superpet carries the 2 level FN cage, but i do believe that those cages are modular, so you could get the 2 level one, and add a third later.  We're going tonight to get the FN cage, to replace our Midwest one.  The doors are much better in the FN cage, and the added storage area at the bottom is an excellent idea.  My mother (bless her soul) wanted to buy her "grandchildren" a gift Cheesy  So we are able to get them a far better home.
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 11:55:52 AM »

So we are able to get them a far better home.
This might be a dumb question but "how is the FN a better home"?  I can understand the advantages for ferret owners (storage and doors to name the main ones)... But, as for the ferrets themselves, how is this better?  :unsure:

Our fuzzies live happily in the Midwest. We have 3-4 hammocks, a sleeping sack, blanket and either a small bed or lounge chair for their comfort. We have also adjusted the "floors" so that the ladder isn't too steep. Finally, we have placed hockey socks on the said ladders so that they [A] won't get any part of their anatomy stuck and [B] to offer better grip.

When I look at the FN, I keep saying to myself how it looks so much nicer, sturdier and possibly practical, but that's for me. What about the habitants? What would they gain? Right now, as far as I can tell, they would loose the socks as the ladders are smaller. What could I use instead of the hockey socks?

Keep on Dooking!
Canucklehead
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 12:27:48 PM »

This might be a dumb question but "how is the FN a better home"?  I can understand the advantages for ferret owners (storage and doors to name the main ones)... But, as for the ferrets themselves, how is this better?  :unsure:

Our fuzzies live happily in the Midwest. We have 3-4 hammocks, a sleeping sack, blanket and either a small bed or lounge chair for their comfort. We have also adjusted the "floors" so that the ladder isn't too steep. Finally, we have placed hockey socks on the said ladders so that they [A] won't get any part of their anatomy stuck and [B] to offer better grip.

When I look at the FN, I keep saying to myself how it looks so much nicer, sturdier and possibly practical, but that's for me. What about the habitants? What would they gain? Right now, as far as I can tell, they would loose the socks as the ladders are smaller. What could I use instead of the hockey socks?
I think, first of all, that the ferrets are a bit safer in the FN cage as opposed to the MidWest cages.  Because of the design, there really isn't anywhere that they can fall a great distance.  The only way to get to the bottom of the cage from the top is to go through the hole and down the ladder.  Ours have fallen off the half-levels, but it doesn't seem to even faze them.  We don't have to worry about strategic placing of hammocks to protect them.

Being able to easily block off a level is a breeze if you need to isolate a ferret for sickness or because of fighting.  I wish we had bought this cage before Calvin had his surgery.  He could have been close to his companions and still had room to stretch out a little.

Our two males have been in three different cages and they seem happiest in the FN cage.  We hear a lot less angry ferret scuffling between the two of them.  The only scuffling we hear now is because of our littlest girl Peanut.  Her and Hobbes scuffle because Peanut thinks she's the boss and that Hobbes should get out of her hammock.

Most of the other advantages seem to be for the owners like the cleaning and easy access to the entire cage.

As for the hockey socks you're using, you might look at getting some fleece and sewing it together to fit over the ladders as well.  We've got fleece on one of the half-levels and they seem to enjoy it.
fuzzy
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 02:53:56 PM »

I am a fan of the Martins Cages, sorry no pic, but you can Google them. Smiley You can always get the Barn top for a sick fert that needs to recover, and if you have a couple of them you can also get an attachment so you can link them with a toob!
They have large floors too, I cover mine with Marmoleum as it cleans up really well (for those accidents!) and they last forever.
Anyway I think every owner has a preference, but the Martins suit me. Smiley
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 10:40:16 AM »

I figure a happy mom means a cleaner ferret cage and a happier, healthier ferret.....I'm looking at the easy maintanence FN and thinking about saving up for one......with 20 odd fuzzies at any time, that cage speaks to me........

Wink  
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2006, 12:07:54 PM »

The one thing that occured to me (only as/after) I put up the FN - just next to my "old" Midwest is how much space is wasted in the PlayPen compared to the FN.  <_<

The 2 cages are abouth the same size (although a bit higher due to the lower storage shelf) but the "living" space is much more spacious and better organized.

We noticed that more than 1 ferret was a bit too much at a time on the smaller shelves in the PlayPen, especially when they tried to eat/drink. But with the FN, the levels are sooo spacious that it's not a problem.  Smiley  

Keep on Dooking!
Matthew
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2006, 02:30:25 PM »

we notice that too in our midwest. So we have 9 hammicks in there. We made 3 full floors with the help of those hammicks. Now you can't put anything on them but they love it to bits.
ferretyone
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 09:10:38 PM »

We had two cages which might have been considered large for an individual ferret each, but they were only wide enough that 2 ferrets could comfortably stand/walk side by side and only if nothing else was in the way. The FN cage is wider, taller and has more levels but isn't as long across our walls which made more space for us and infintely more the little ones. I think the size is perfect for anyone looking to have 2+ ferrets in their lifetime.

The only thing our old cages had on the FN ones was that they would lay against the ground, meaning the ferrets needed zero effort to get in and out of the cages on their own, which meant our 2 ferrets which were supposed to have litter issues outside the cage had none since the cage is kept in their play room. It wasn't until we got the FN cage that we had to get litter boxes for outside the cages as they now had to traverse up the pillow ramp we created for them to get to a litter box.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 09:12:00 PM by ferretyone » Logged
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 07:06:12 AM »

I know some will laugh at us but we bought the Doggy Steps at Linens 'n Things with the 20% off coupon in the flyer.  Tongue

With this, they have no problems getting in/out of the cage.  Smiley

Keep on Dooking!
Kalimata

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 12:07:08 PM »

Lol thats cute Viper, doggie steps.  

So we got the third tier for our FN cage.  It was a breeze to add the third level, just a tad high so i had to stand on a chair to do it.  Now that we have 7 babies, the cage is a lavish luxury ferrety tower Cheesy  Funny enough, our four older ones have no problems climing up into the cage from the ground.  We leave them out to roam for most of the day, but we always leave the bottom level door open, and Luna, Mars, Comet and Tyson all climb up into the cage to sleep and chill out.  Our kits can't climb in yet, but they will soon.

I would %100 reccomend this cage to any and all ferret owners out there.  Tons of room for litterboxes, food, hammocks, blankets, and any other toys you can think of.  The doors make it so easy to clean and set up the cage.  I love the thing!
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 08:01:38 AM »

Most of our ferrets don't have any problems climbing in/out of the cage as well. To facilitate the issue, we used to keep a rubbermade container (filled with unused woods pellets) on the floor in order to divide the climb.

Then it occured to us that when they get older of after a surgery, the climb could be a bit much.  Sad

The steps are effortless and our fuzzies just love to play with the darn thing anyway.  :lol:

P.S. It's a hallow plastic structure covered with a sheep-like fabric. Our kids just love to hide underneath and scratch at it...  :rolleyes:  

Keep on Dooking!
Snuzanne
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2006, 04:40:30 AM »

Hi Guys,

I was just reading your comments on the FN cage.  It sure is great isn't it.  We bought 2 of them and I think I am going to get a third one for the cottage.  I am spoiled now by how easy they are to clean.  We had bought the third floor but I could not reach overhead so it was not helpful to me but I think I am going to try and get some extra shelves so if I have to split the levels, then at least, I have extra shelves for each level.  I had to split a couple of fosters due to extremely aggressive play and it was sure easy to make 2 cages out of one.  Even though they were in separate sections, they could still converse.  Viper, "Doggy Steps" what a cool idea.  Linen & Things, is that in the West End?  As you can tell, I don't get out very often.  I think it is a super idea.  All the fosters that I took in are over 6 years old. The steps would be helpful.   We used cat trees, but the steps would have been more stable.  I am going to check up on them for sure.  Again, good tip. Thanks. Tongue  
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2006, 07:14:09 AM »

Linen & Things, is that in the West End?
The Ottawa location is at 1703 Merivale Road (in the same "mall" as Best Buy).

Keep on Dooking!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: