Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ Ontario Ferret Exchange (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Possibly Looking for Home for My Squirt- Updated - Looking for Home now
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Possibly Looking for Home for My Squirt- Updated - Looking for Home now  (Read 3317 times)
dodgingwrenches

« on: July 27, 2010, 10:42:46 AM »

Hi all,

I have two four year old ferrets - Squirt and Eugene. Squirt is adrenal (surgery removed the one gland, now she's on deslorelen for the other) and Eugene is adrenal with cardiomyopathy. Eugene was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy two years ago and has been gradually slowing down. I think this will probably be his last summer, which brings me to the question of what to do with Squirt. I'm not sure how she'll handle being alone after spending her entire adult life with Eugene! I can't adopt another ferret since I'm actually very allergic to them, so they have spent the past one and a half years in my parents' care. My parents have done this as a favour to me, but will not take on any new additions. Either way, they don't get that much attention with my parents (they get let out once or twice a day for a run, but they technically live in the basement). I thought I'll take Squirt back when Eugene dies so that she is less lonely, but I'm not sure how my allergies will handle her. Two ferrets are out of the question for me, but maybe one female I can handle. I'll have to see. Worst case though, I'm wondering if there might be someone willing to take my little Squirt-Squirt. Some info about her: She gets along with cats (I have three). Likes to terrorize them, and will hold her ground. She's a fiesty girl. Used to be a little nippy, but now that she's older she hasn't nipped in a long time. VERY curious, and LOVES to play with people. She's a siamese sable, although she's getting some silver in her coat now. She's been a great ferret! Aside from the deslorelen controlled adrenal disease, she's very healthy and active. Surgery has been out of the question for me since she's already had one gland removed, so would require monthly hormone injections if I removed the other, so deslorelen it is. She got her implant last October and it's good for two years. More than willing to pay for her next one when the time comes. Oh yes, I'd want visitation rights  Grin

Anyway, everything is up in the air right now. It depends on how long Eugene holds on and how my allergies will react to just one female (females are better for allergies than males).  I just thought I'd throw it out there...

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 12:05:22 PM by dodgingwrenches » Logged
dodgingwrenches

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:47:19 AM »

The time has come. My Eugene passed away this past Sunday night. His heart hung in, but his liver couldn't keep up and he died of liver failure.

I have reclaimed Squirt from my parents, but every time I touch her the tingling starts as the hives start to come back. Allergies aren't happy, and Squirt is just moping around as she is now lonely without her Eugene. Maybe someone else out there is in the same boat? Lost a ferret, and looking for a same-aged companion for his remaining one? Anybody that would be willing to give her a loving home? Not immediately, since I don't want to shock her with too much change at once (loss of partner, change of location to my apartment, so change of owner would probably be too much) but maybe in a few weeks or a month or two?

Some more info, whoever takes her can have my ferret nation cage and all my ferret supplies if needed (otherwise, I can donate them to FRSO). Squirt loves her toys and cuddle cups, so those need to go with her. She's still super active and playful, dooks a lot (was so happy to hear the first dook alst night after Eugene's passing) and is still doing very well on the deslorelen. She's had several negative tests for ADV, and has not been in any contact with other ferrets since the last two negative tests. Here are some pictures of my little girl:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rTYrO5QmpFxRKRT1_43PSWJap_LWDaApc1Oj_T9D0Yo?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Up1U3iIohfgyawct8ozevmJap_LWDaApc1Oj_T9D0Yo?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/GjIzNYKfR9pBQNqIMp591WJap_LWDaApc1Oj_T9D0Yo?feat=directlink

My email address is in my profile, so please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 12:07:15 PM by dodgingwrenches » Logged
dodgingwrenches

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 05:01:24 PM »

Update: No longer looking for a home for Squirt as she passed away a week ago.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: