Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ FRSO Updates
| |-+ Foster Ferrets
| | |-+ May 2008
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: May 2008  (Read 5200 times)
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« on: May 05, 2008, 06:20:05 PM »

Molly and Mindy visited Dr. Auger today and the news was not good. 

First the bad news...

All of Mindy's lymph nodes that Daren palpated were enlarged, in addition to her enlarged spleen.  Daren aspirated one of the nodes on her jaw and confirmed the diagnosis - Lymphoma.  Mindy is now on Pred to try and control the size of the nodes... it's only a matter of time before they can no longer be kept in check.

Now the worse news...

Daren took an x-ray of Molly and saw lots of gas in the stomach.  Then he took a barium x-ray and the problem was clear.  There is a large lymphatic tumor in her neck which is compressing her esophagus making it very difficult for anything to pass through to her stomach.  I've got to find a way to slowly feed her liquefied soup every couple of hours along with 0.3cc's of Pred twice a day.  If the pred works, the tumor should shrink in a few days allowing her to eat regular soup again.  If not, I'll have to say goodbye to her.  Now I just have to find a way of not working or sleeping for the next week.

In other news, the rest of the gang are doing relatively well. 

Jingles was originally scheduled to see Dr. Auger today but got bumped when Molly started having problems swallowing food.  There's nothing specific wrong with him, I just think somethings a little "off".  He will now be seeing the doc on May 20.

Cricket is probably the healthiest ferret in the house right now.  She's still doing well and has a nice soft white coat of fur.

Chase and Peewee have been stable for a month now - a bit of a relief given all the other problems we've seen.  I've upped Peewees pred dose to 0.6 twice a day to keep everything balanced.

Powder is still hanging in there.  He's not doing so good at hitting the litter box these days (50% hit rate), but given all he's dealing with and the constant runny poop, he can be forgiven.  He's actually regained some strength over the month, which is really nice to see.

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Weezilwitch
FRSO Members

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 02:33:44 PM »

Matilda visited Dr. Auger on Friday, May 2.  The good news is that there is no sign of lymphoma or any other type of cancer.  With Tilly's abdomen being the bloated monstrosity it is, it's impossible to tell if she has adrenal disease or not, but Daren feels that her hair loss and skin problems are quite likely to be merely the result of the malnutrition and neglect she was subjected to.

Daren was more concerned with Tilly's breathing, which is quite laboured.  On the plus side, it has been like that for all five months she's been with me, without getting worse.  Her heart is enlarged, most likely from the extra demands being made on it, but she doesn't show signs of actual heart disease yet.

Number one priority is to get her weight down.  To that end, she's been switched to eating weight-control formula cat food, and I'm trying to step up her exercise program as much as I can.  We are also looking into the possibility of controlling the amount of food she eats as well as the type.  Her back legs seem to be limper then normal right now, so I'm giving her extra "physio" as well.  Hopefully she's just going through a temporary weakness while she adapts to her new diet.

Her sweet nature was remarked on at the clinic, and indeed Tilly spent a good portion of yesterday washing my face, despite the indignities I was subjecting her to.

Pippin is doing just fine these days, and is developing a real predilection for feet - it's impossible to sit at the dining room table when she's out without propping my legs up on another chair.  She doesn't nip, she just SNUFFLES incessantly.

I had a bad attitude a minute ago, but I think my ferret just swiped it.
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 08:46:46 AM »

It seems this is not going to be a good month for my fosters.  Right after I wrote my last update, Powder crashed hard.  I spent most of Tuesday nursing him back from the edge.  Yesterday he was back to eating on his own and moving around again, but this morning he was deteriorating once again.  When I picked him up to give him his morning soup, he pooped and it wasn't pretty.  He refused to eat any soup and I had to use a syringe to force him to eat a little and restore his blood sugar levels.  Later this morning he did manage to eat a little on his own, but refused to eat the rest of his morning soup.  If this continues, he won't be with us next week.

Molly has been on her meds for 3 full days now and hasn't shown any signs of improvement.  She's very hungry and is losing weight slowly, but cannot eat more than a couple of teaspoons of very liquid soup at any one time.  Unless she improves in the next couple of days, I may be taking both her and Power in to help them cross the rainbow bridge.

Webmaster
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 06:15:54 PM »

It is with great sadness that I tell you both Molly and Powder were helped across the Rainbow Bridge this afternoon.  Molly was refusing to eat and drink and had aspirated some food into her lungs during the week.  She was dehydrated weak and losing weight fast.  Powder had an extra thick spot in his already thickened bowels which was making it very difficult for him to digest food.  He crashed again this morning and absolutely refused to eat any food.  It was time to let them both go.  Rest in peace my little friends.

Webmaster
dragonsparks

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 02:02:58 AM »

So today Smash and Crash were picked up by the rescue to hopefully go to thier forever home soon. We are very sad and will miss our boys terribly, but hopefully they will be happy in thier forever home.
Send us an update when  more is known about these two awesome fuzzies!! 

Love you and miss you guys, Smash and Crash!!!
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 05:21:20 AM »

Jingles has been diagnosed with...
- a very large right adrenal tumor (we knew that)
- an enlarged spleen (we knew that too)
- fluid in his chest (new)
- pronounced heart murmur (new)

He is now on Furosemide to try and reduce the fluid buildup and Enacard for the heart murmur.  He's scheduled for a recheck on June 10th to see how he is doing.  If there isn't a noticeable improvement in the fluid buildup, then Dr. Auger will have to drain it.  From there, we see how long it stays drained.. if it refills quickly, there's nothing much more we can do.

Mindy is losing weight and has a reduced appetite.. not sure how much longer she's going to be with us either.

Webmaster
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 07:41:54 AM »

Sorry for not getting any updates in folks! 

Alrighty, May kids!

Willy Wonka and Mavie - they now have a permanent forever foster family....yyyeeyeyyeyaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!  And loving it!

Cosmo-He's taken to attacking my feet.  Yeesh.  Healthy and happy and keeping my bathroom cupboard disorganized.

Moe and Cyrus-Something happened to Moe. He had an adrenalectomy and now he's a big, soft, butterball....... Shocked  Cyrus is still just crazy.

Pumpkin (Grisou), Gwen and Finn - This is a fun crew.  They are sleek and healhty and squeak with delight whenever they are let out....too silly.  Pumpkin is affectionate and playful and comes when I call. Still bites my hand..well, tries to anyhoo. I'm too fast. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Woozle - He's surely adopted and his new home is just settling in to their new apartement.  What a sweety!!!!!!!! And what a thief!!!!!!!

Smash and Crash, P'tit Gris and Coquette, and Panda - This is a fun crowd, just try to keep up if you can! Tongue

Sambo and Monty- Um. Crazy.

there are a number of new additions in the last couple of weeks so keep your eye out for their stories!
egammell
FRSO Members

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 01:42:42 PM »

Alas, Tika came to an end of her life in a fairly quick decline that saw her frail but active until the last day or so. 

This little ferret was a Miss Busybody Baggage who had two speeds: off and on.  When on, she never walked and rarely trotted - she preferred to run like a maniac, even in her latter months on her increasingly reduced hind legs.  She was game to run up and down the carpetted stairs even when she had to start taking a break halfway up - down was as tumbled a descent as always, right until the end.  Though her legs started to fail, her jaw muscles remained strong into the last hour for a good head-wrassle through the Tea Towel of Doom.

For several years she was living with adrenal cancer (Lupron kept her lively) and a very enlarged heart (meds kept her moving).  She was sad to lose her lifelong cagemate Sock Bandit earlier this year, but rebounded (literally) to transfer her energy to bossing and wrassling her human friends all the more.  She seemed all her days to be thoroughly occupied living a good life.
Fuzzie_fan
FRSO Board

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 08:15:26 PM »

Sorry I haven't been keeping up here.  Wiley had a very eventful month of May including being diagnosed with a heart murmur - she has responded well to the medication and was quickly back to playing energetic games of chase the mouse!

She's getting older and sleeps more than her little friend Liberty who is forever wrestling her and trying to drag her around - Wiley takes it all in with her typical good humour and gentle disposition - she knows if things get too rough she'll be rescued and cuddled and then she just jumps back into the fray!

Despite slowing down she can still demonstrate astonishing bursts of speed when sneaking in to steal a chew stick - it leaves poor Liberty looking stunned but it is a lot harder to steal food from Taz!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: