Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ Best Buys for Supplies (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Improving Ferret Health?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Improving Ferret Health?  (Read 2124 times)
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« on: August 04, 2007, 09:37:10 AM »

Hey all!

I have been taking something called 'MaxGXL'.  Essentially, and from what I understand, it is a precursor to something called glutathione.  This gluta thing is essential at a cellular level and has everything to do with the cell's ability to rid itself of toxins, have an effective immune system and utilize other available nutrients and such.  People who have chronic issues especially, such as chronic pain and inflammation associated with athritis, shingles, fibromyalgia and so on or issues associated with cancers, tumours, whatever, tend to see quite an improvement in a short period of time.  A week's supply is sold for trial because that's how sure any distributors are that it will work.  My father's favorite saying is that, 'if it won't hurt and it might help, than what have you got to lose?'.....anyway, I was fairly healthy to begin with but have noticed that I sleep better and do not suffer nearly as bad with chronic fatigue issues secondary to being a shift worker or fostering 25 ferrets. Tongue

So what the heck does this have to do with fuzzies?  Well, it all the hooplah going on since the release of this product, my main question was, what about our pets?!  Hello?!!!  Adrenal disease, insulinoma, irritable bowel......need I say more?!  Finally I have an answer!  Though it has not been officially tested and marketed in use with animals and children there is no side effects, drug interactions or over dose potential soooooo......some veterinarians and pet owners have started with testimonials about their pets.  From arthiritc dogs, adrenal cats and sick horses...all are definately better!!!!!!!  

I have started two ferrets on the product, keeping in mind that glutathione is found in every cell in every body, with existing medical issues. My hopes are obviously that they feel better but aside from the obvious, my hope is to find an alternative to medications.  Both costly and damaging, medications tend to be the only alternative most of the time.  What if I didnt' have to give high dose, long term prednisone, which is both a saviour and a death sentence?

Check out www.mymaxgxl.com/wizards!!!!

Let me know!!!!!!!!! I'll let you know too!!!!!!

ME  Tongue  
Sci-Ferret

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 04:43:22 PM »

I've been reading up a bit about glutathione synthesis, and while I'm sure the makers of MaxGXL believe their product is a lifesaver, it's also a lot of unnecessary scare tactics. Glutathione is an anti-oxidant, it is manufactured in the liver to remove free radicals from our cells. It is also involved in synthesis of asthma and allergy-related immune response molecules. It is made from 3 non-essential amino acids (non-essential meaning that our body makes them itself without having to get them from diet) cysteine, glycine and glutamate. When under oxidative stress, due to disease or illness, yes glutathione levels do get depleted, but only because it is being reduced to it's other bioactive form, GSSG . Usually, inactive glutathione represents 90% of the total glutathione, which is why it seems to be dropping when ppl are stressed, because it is becoming the active form.

Now, the makers of MaxGXL say that they can't give straight GSH, because it would be digested before it ever got to your cells, which is true. So all their mix is really supplying is those 3 amino acids, which are already readily made by our body as well as being present in all the foods we eat. Glycine and glutamate are present all over the north american diet, while cysteine, their "limiting step", can be found in eggs, meat, red peppers, garlic, onions, broccoli, brussel sprouts, oats, milk, whey protein, and wheat germ. So unless you don't eat any of these foods, or you're missing liver function to be able to put all the 3 building blocks together to make GSH, this product won't be doing anything more than giving a very short-term boost. Personally, i would rather use a natural supply of a.a from meats and eggs for ferrets rather than a commercial product that likely includes filler chemicals to make it more palatable for humans that would not necessarily go well for the carnivore diet that ferrets need.

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: