Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ FRSO Updates
| |-+ Foster Ferrets
| | |-+ July 2007
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: July 2007  (Read 4318 times)
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« on: July 02, 2007, 10:33:33 AM »

It seems I completely missed my June update so will start the July update thread.

Cricket and Jingles:  Good news!  They found a forever home and are slowly getting used to their new friend Mowgli!

Pepi and Mindy:  Pepi is doing amazingly well.  He can still be a little aggressive with Mindy but she's just as bad when playing with him (I think she starts most of the disagreements).  Mindy is still struggling with the effects of her Adrenal disease.  She's lost most of her fur now and has some sores on her skin.  We started her on Lupron last month but haven't seen much improvement yet.  She'll be going back to the vet next week for another Lupron shot and exam.

Bear and Powder:  Powder is doing good, although his 3am play sessions in my bedroom have got to stop!  His IBD is mostly under control, but any attempts to reduce his meds result in it coming back.  Looks like he'll be on Pred and Amoxil for the long term.  Bear has taken a turn for the worse.  We suspect Lymphoma as his Lymph nodes are enlarged.  He's rear end is really weak, which makes it difficult for him to move around and control his bladder and bowels.  I'm not sure how much longer he's going to be with us.

Molly:  She's doing well and is enjoying the 3am play sessions with Powder.  Her only vice is she nips when she gets excited so must go go a home where she can play with other ferrets and where the humans are tolerant of her nips.

Splash (aka Spitz#2:  I'm starting to feel like a ferret chew toy!  This gorgeous, healthy Real Canadian Ferret has a nasty bite.  She's young, fun and full of energy... ya just gotta watch out for those teeth when she's in a bitey mood.  I suspect it's going to be some time before we can bring the biting down to an acceptable level.

Pippin: She's the most recent arrival and is a real cutie.  She's a healthy 5 year old who had never been with other ferrets before.  Needless to say she's been somewhat nervous as she can smell the other ferrets and see them in their cages.  She also has a fear of heights and will occasionally attack feet.   She really needs a home where she can be a single ferret that's doted on by her owner.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 04:02:28 PM by ferretfan » Logged

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 07:03:29 PM »

Bears diagnosis has been confirmed.  He has at least stage III Lymphosarcoma and possibly stage IV.  We'll do our best to keep him comfortable for the time he has left with us.

Webmaster
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 09:45:19 AM »

Storm: We said goodbye to this sweety yesterday.  :blink:  Needless to say that were are sadden by her sudden departure but understand that it was her time.  Sad  We take comfort in the fact that we offered her the home she deserved (although it was so such a short time) and that she no longer suffers.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 09:46:59 AM by Viper » Logged

Keep on Dooking!
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:46:49 AM »

Angel: We've just had to say goodbye to this sweetest little angel this morning.  Sad  A massive tumour in her abdomen was extremely aggressive and left her with little (not to say no) chances of recovery. Therefore, Dr. vet has helped her cross over the bridge as she deserved to have her suffering ended.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 09:47:31 AM by Viper » Logged

Keep on Dooking!
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 09:55:47 AM »

I have 21 fosters to date and know this will be a job and a half as always to update.  Seeing as how I ran into the beginning of July with my June status, I'm going to give it another week or so before I let you all in on how things are out my way.  But...just for peace of mind....so far, knock on wood and all that, things are fine!!!!!

ME  Tongue  
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 11:01:31 AM »

Bear was suffering from the effects of his Lymphoma, so when he stopped eating on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning we decided it was time to help ease his pain.  He's now resting peacefully across the Rainbow Bridge.  

Webmaster
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 03:38:44 PM »

Some good news for a change!  Some of the people who attended the frolic may have seen Sheila receiving a Melatek (Melatonon) implant to help her battle the effects of her Adrenal Disease.  The combination of the implant and the monthly Lupron shots is working and she's now regrowing all her fur and the sores on her rear are gone.

Webmaster
egammell
FRSO Members

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 07:58:10 AM »

In June, Tika & Sock Bandit didn't go to the Ferret Frolic (their fosterer was going to be too busy), but they were the Test Ferrets for the Ferret Curling rinks I made for the event.  Tika was a lively rock, but Sock Bandit had a good weight on him for the throw.

Tika had her Lupron shot June 17.

Both developed earmite irritations again.  Sock Bandit especially bothered - Tika doesn't seem to be much bothered.  They were dosed with the systemic.  This seemed to do the trick.

Sock Bandit continues to have 1 ml Pediapred each evening.  He still is a little scraggy across his loins and his fur is thin.  Again, hope it is the usual summer cycle.  Giving him extra chicken-&-kibble mush and god doses of ferretone for his skin and coat.

Had to mix Totally Ferret in with the Shepherd & Greene due to impending kibble shortage over long weekend and note that (a) totally Ferret does indeed add stink and (B) changes in diet do affect their digestion a bit for a day or so.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 08:29:26 AM by egammell » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: