Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ "Sick" Ferret Advice?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Sick" Ferret Advice?  (Read 3530 times)
sweetoctober
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:04:16 PM »

Hey there,

Hope everyone is well. I have a question an 8 month old female ferret and I took her to the vet about a week and a bit ago (Carling Avenue since they were the only vets available to take her right away) Sad

The vet and I (based on my research) determined she has rectal prolapse..though when I took her into the vet, she was fine. It seems to happen intermittently, so they put her on a 5 day dose of anti-inflammatory medicine (Metronidazle) but seems the problem is still happening (affectionatly nicknamed "Inside Out Bum" :blink: )

Her appetite is great, shes eating and drinking as she always has been, everything else seems normal, her attitude is great, dooking and playing with her brother non-stop and she isnt losing weight.

I am at a bit of a lose for what to do, I am hesitant to bring her back to the vet but at the same time I am worried it is still happening, these are my first ferrets so I was looking to see if anyone has had experience with this, any advice or suggestions would be great!

Thank You
Mel, Roxsie and Felix
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 07:32:27 AM »

Sad  Can't say I have ever dealt with this issue before...  If you are looking for a 2nd (vet) opinion, I can't say enough good thinks about Dr. Auger at Blair Animal Hospital.

That being said, the general rule I use is if the ferret [1] eats & drink, [2] sleep in their usually bizarre positions and [3] as long as they pee & poop, then are in no immediate danger.

From what I can understand, that's the case...  Therefore, you can afford to wait for the next available appointment at your regular vet.

Keep on Dooking!
Sci-Ferret

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 07:59:03 AM »

Sad  Can't say I have ever dealt with this issue before...  If you are looking for a 2nd (vet) opinion, I can't say enough good thinks about Dr. Auger at Blair Animal Hospital.

That being said, the general rule I use is if the ferret [1] eats & drink, [2] sleep in their usually bizarre positions and [3] as long as they pee & poop, then are in no immediate danger.

From what I can understand, that's the case...  Therefore, you can afford to wait for the next available appointment at your regular vet.
from what i'm reading, the pooping may not be normal, while everything else is...  

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
sweetoctober
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 10:18:58 AM »

Hey there
Thanks so much for the replies, I tried to book with Blair Road, but in my panic I took her to whoever was available. Carling was great, but its like taking a car to a mechanic.. it makes the sound then you take it in.. and its stops!

Shes eating, pooping (which is as normal as it has always been) and drinking with no change, she still attacks me with her flying leaps and dooks like a coo-coo.. so yes, I am confused.  <_<

She is on her last day of medication, so I will maybe give it another couple of days, then maybe try to book an appointment with Dr. Auger.. Its strange that its happens, then goes away. But you cant be too careful.  Got to love when these things happen after putting 1st and last down on a townhouse!

Thanks for the advice! If anyone knows anyone who has come across this, be great to hear about what they did. Super Pet had this happen to one of theirs, and after a dose of antibiotics it was ok... Strrrrange little fuzzbutts! Cheesy

ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 02:22:41 PM »

This is often seen in very young ferrets that are on a hard kibble diet too soon.  Usually caused by diarrhea.  When there is nothing firm for the colon to push against (such as firm stool), the rectum may be pushed out.

If only a small portion of tissue (1-3 mm) is protruding, a softened diet and creams such as Preparation H may help. If there are any other symptoms (constipation, pain, diarrhea, redness or swelling), or if more than 3 mm (about 1/8 inch) is showing, have a vet look at it.  

BEFORE TRYING Preparation H, I strongly suggest you take her to see Dr. Auger.

Webmaster
Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
sweetoctober
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 06:23:05 PM »

Thanks Ferretfan,

I have moistened her food and keeping my fingers crossed.
Her medicine is done tonight, or maybe in the morning if I have enough dose left. I plan on calling Dr. Auger tomorrow if I notice it is still happening. Her stools are normal (as she JUST missed the litter box as im typing  :blink: ), I will keep an eye on any change for that as well.

Its strange because I havent changed their food since I got them. I am going to try and get her to eat some more duck soup then kibble and see if that helps as well. I am glad to hear it is common in younger ferrets, but I will make sure to monitor it until I can get an appointment with the vet.

Thanks for the advice! I will keep you posted on what seems to work.  :lol:

fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 06:39:51 PM »

Hey there!

There was an outbreak of Giardia??? I can't remember how to spell it...at one of the pet stores.  There were a few young ferrets that had this and the prolapsed rectum.  They required surgery to fix the problem as well as the antibiotics specifically to treat the original issue.

The good news is that Dr. Auger did deal with atleast one other so he'd know if this may be related. I would definately go see him.......

ME Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: