Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ FRSO Updates
| |-+ Foster Ferrets
| | |-+ April 2007
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: April 2007  (Read 4944 times)
Kalimata

« on: April 12, 2007, 04:44:15 PM »

Well, it has been a bittersweet time in my household this month.

Mushoe:  This poor little man.  His gum disease and rotting tooth were so painfull that he couldn't eat, even the duck soup bothered him.  He went onto Metacam for a couple of weeks, but then he stopped eating again because of suspected stomach and intestinel ulcers.  we fed him as much as he would eat, and kept trying.  One day I woke up to find him lying in the sleep box, in a pile of his own poop.  Poor little man couldn't get up to go to the bathroom...  He also had a prolapsed rectum, which added to his problems.  We tried to keep him fed well, and watered well, but he kept getting sicker, he lost that luster in his eyes, and he let us know it was time for him to go to sleep.  Dr. O'Meara helped him along, and he's now sleeping in our Ferret Memorial Guarden.

Sammie:  This little monkey gave us a real scare this month.  She was doing all fine and dandy, and then over the course of a couple of days dropped weight drastically.  She went into the vet with us fearing the worst.  Bloodwork and stool work was done, and other then having low protein, she's fine.  So she's on a special diet right now to gain her weight back.  We're keeping a close eye on her.

Jack:  This little boy gained some weight!  We had figured he was going to be the "Lankey Man" forever, but he suprised us and gained a bit of a belly and a definate bum!  Horray for Jack.  Happy as ever, he just loves wardancing on our bed, and playing with mom and dad.

So we said goodbye to Mushoe, fretted over Sammy, and cheered for Jack.  A typical month in a ferret parents home...

James
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 06:35:36 PM »

I've been delaying my updates, dreading the vet visit today.  It has not been a good month for ferrets in my home (the joys of caring for old, ill ferrets).

Last Sunday morning Lancelot had a massive seizure.  I tried my usual tricks for bringing a ferret back, but they would not work for him.  He was saying it was time, so we went to Alta Vista where they helped him cross the Rainbow Bridge to a happy place with no more pain and suffering.

Today was Temmu's turn.  In addition to all his other problems, he ended up with a chest full of fluid.  We could either drain it (with the full expectation that it would return in a day) or we could ease his suffering.   He's now re-joined his friends on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

Pixie has been deteriorating since her last vet visit, so she also went to see Dr. Auger today.  An x-ray reveals that she now has an enlarged heart (very large) in addition to her other problems.  We're switching her from Pediapred to Enacard to see if we can bring the size of the heart down.  I sure hope she responds as there's not a lot of other treatment options and I've already lost 3 ferrets this month (one of my own crossed the bridge today as well).

Pepi and Mindy are doing OK.  Mindy hasn't shown much change since the Melatonin implant.  She does have more energy, but is still overly agressive when playing with Pepi.  Pepi only had a couple of bad vomit days which means he's getting a little pudgy (but remains very happy and active).

Cricket and Mr. Jingles are fine.  I wish I could find them a playmate who can get them going as when you do wind them up, they're a lot of fun to watch.  Unfortunately, they really don't play much with each other and with Pixie being ill, they tend to do more sleeping than playing.

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
ninjaferrets
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 10:53:53 PM »

On a happy note...
Roxy has started playing with the others more lately, although she still hisses like there's no tomorrow! She bites a little when you come between her and her food.
I'm forever finding Miss Daisy asleep in my pillows, between the pillow and the pillow case. I think she's figured out that I now know where to find her when she's hiding, and has become creative.
Maggie still hasn't fattened up. She has some serious will power when it comes to duck soup. She has her little portion and must know the rest will be diving in shortly after her.
Chase, Chase, Chase. His name explains it all. He's forever chasing everyone around, looking for someone to play with besides me. Still doesn't seem to care for any of the toys.
Which leads to...QB! Other than losing some winter weight, QB seems to be as happy as ever. For some reason, he likes to rub his favourite toys along his belly and roll around with them. :huh:  
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 07:32:50 AM »

:blink: Bad month for foster ferrets and parents...  Sad

My heavy heart, well wishes and a big (virtual) hug goes out to you all. :wub:

Please call if there is anything I can do to help during this unfortunate time. I know it's no consolation but I know that our little Nicky is ecstatic to meet these new friends.  

Keep on Dooking!
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 12:02:18 PM »

Well....so far my updates seem to be good....

Ludo- this little new addition is a star!  She's cute, touch, rowdy and is fitting right in!  Having kids show up always gets everyone going!

Frank and Margaret-what a cute pair. They are sweet and playful....who could ask for more! There's no way they will stay for long in foster care!

Potter- oh thank God!  This guy is finally doing great!  We're going to continue with leupron and try the melatonin implant with Daren and he's due to visit Dr. O'Meara to recheck his urinalysis to be sure we've treated the infections effectively.  He's starting to put on weight, play and look for kisses!

Goliath-cuckoo.......need I say more.......He's going to have a check when I bring Potter in to R/O adrenal though I have my suspicions.....

Bojangles-He's slummin with Kalimata's crew this past week looking for a safe, loving forever home and I'll see him back in the next week or so....they tell me he's a doll!!!!

Digger- I love this old bird...though you'd never know she's old......I let her play with some fosters and otherwise she likes to 'help' me around the house :blink: Digger is not much help but she sure is cute.....

Oscar and Tala- This pair is too fun!  Tala loves to play with people while Oscar is practicing his Ultimate fighting skills with the cat.....I'm still trying to capture this on film.......... :rolleyes:

Finn and Gwen- Too fun.....Finn is fat......and huggable....until you put him back down on the ground....ack...lookout!!!!    Try hugging Gwen at your own risk....she has to be unconscious first or she's in go go go mode!

JoJo- she's a cutie and should be in her new forever home by the end of the week with Charlie...........

Panda-She's not the baby of the bunch anymore and is trying to act all growed up.......still as healthy as ever........

Snoopy- I love him and I sure wish he'd pretend, atleast, to aim in the general direction of a litter box....I'll have to shave his belly again to facilitate cleaning....oh well.....he's a special boy and no one else seems to mind that he perpetually smells like poopy. :rolleyes:

Storm and Angel- These ol' bats are still trucking......I love the old kids! They still have their frisky moments!!!

Chelsea- I have no idea how she does it but she's still here with a terrific appetite.  Loves her scratches and kisses.  She must be in her 7th year now....who knew?! Cheesy

I think that's it............with my numbers there's always a possibility of forgetting someone.......... Tongue

ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 06:29:25 PM »

Unfortunately Pixie couldn't hold on any longer and passed away in her sleep this morning.

I now have Powder and Bear at my place.  The good news is Powders diarrhea has finally subsided!  Let's hope the change to a slightly different food mix doesn't cause it to flare up again.  Bear is doing OK - he's a pretty laid back cuddle monster.

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Kalimata

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 05:28:09 PM »

It is with a very heavy heart and great sadness that I bring this news of Sammie's passing.  Despite our best efforts, Sammie continued to lose weight, and stopped eating all together.  This morning we found her in a rigid seizure type state, and while waiting to see Doc Auger, Sammie died in Jen's arms.  She was a joyous and radiant soul, a real sweetheart.  She'll be sorely missed by Jack, her snuggle buddy, and especially by her mom and dad.  She is now sleeping with Star, Jill, and Mushoe in our Ferret Memorial Garden.  See you later baby

James
FuzzyWuzzy
FRSO Members

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 06:37:44 AM »

Sorry to hear Sammy didn't make it. Sad Let me know if there's anything I can do. This has not been a good month for fuzzies!
egammell
FRSO Members

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 08:46:33 AM »

In March:

Sock Bandit doing well with his new regime of daily pediapred.  I'm using the full prescription bottle that had just been bought for Mocha.  Until it's finished, I won't have the chance to test Sock on the generic brand that Mocha rejected.  No signs of ear mite problems since the systemic anti-mite application last month.

Tika had her lupron shot March 17.  Incipient symptoms went away.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: