Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ A sick ferret
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A sick ferret  (Read 4987 times)
Canucklehead
« on: April 20, 2007, 06:36:03 AM »

On Tuesday, I found one of my ferrets, Hobbes, sleeping in the cage while all the others were out and about playing.  So, I went over to wake him up.  When I picked him up, I noticed his stomach was quite tight and firm.  Talked to my wife about it and we thought he might have a hairball.  So, we dosed him up with FerretLax.

On Wednesday, his stomach is less firm, but he seemed to have lost some weight.  Kept up with the FerretLax and hand-fed him some kibble.  He seemed pretty listless, but at least he was eating and drinking.  His breathing seemed a bit laboured as well.

After work yesterday, I went immediately down to check on him.  He'd lost even more weight and didn't want to leave the cage.  And, he was breathing hard again.  That's when I decided we were bringing him in.

After the exam, the vet thought the problem was in the chest and not in the abdomen.  He had x-rays done at the vet's and they were kind of inconclusive.  He didn't have a hairball or obstruction that could be seen, but his lungs seemed to be opaque on the x-ray.  They should have been much darker than they were.  So, it seems like there's some fluid build-up in there.  He was given an injection to help with the fluid and we've got him on another medication (that he, incidentally, hates) and we'll have a second prescription for him today, I hope.

They tried to get bloodwork to try to narrow down the problem a bit, but were having a lot of trouble and decided not to stress him out any more than he already was.

He showed flashes of the old Hobbes as he was digging furiously at the carrier, but he's still pretty listless.  Right now, I've just got my fingers crossed that the meds start working soon.  He can't lose much more weight before that'll cause problems.  I'm going to try to handfeed him again when I get home from work and he'll get another dose of the Ferrovite (or whatever it's called) as well plus some Ferretone.

Any other suggestions?
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 07:01:51 AM »

Sad

Have they ever had "soup"?  :unsure:  If not, I have some at home you can try. This could help to keep him hydrated and maintain the weight.  

Keep on Dooking!
Sci-Ferret

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 07:30:09 AM »

No! not Hobbes!!!!! TAKE ME INSTEAD!!!  Sad  

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 11:25:59 AM »

I agree with Viper, you should consider feeding him soup instead of kibble until he recovers fully.  Of course, if he's never had it, it might be impossible to switch now.  

You can make the soup by grinding up his kibble, adding some chicken and broth baby food and water and blending it all together until you get a nice smooth soup (like the consistency of a cream soup).  See Soup Recipes for more details.

I sure hope he recovers!

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Canucklehead
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 11:39:52 AM »

I'll be stopping by Viper's place tonight to try some of his duck soup.  Not sure if Hobbes will be interested or not.  Right now, I'm just happy he'll eat something and he is drinking regularly as I've seen quite a bit of peeing (though not in the litterbox too often).  If he does like duck soup, we'll be spending some time making our own this weekend.

Talked to the vet again today and I'll be getting a second medication for him this afternoon that is supposed to help with the fluid in his lungs and won't interfere with the anti-biotics (Batril) he's already on.

He's still got some energy as of 6:30am this morning.  And, his eyes are still bright.  The fight he put up when we tried to give him his meds gave me some hope that he'll pull through this.

I'll keep you guys up-to-date on his progress.
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 12:21:30 PM »

I'll be stopping by Viper's place tonight to try some of his duck soup.

The fight he put up when we tried to give him his meds gave me some hope that he'll pull through this.
We'll do our best to help him through this.  Sad

On a side note, we also have some leftover Carnivore Care that we can try...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 12:24:28 PM by Viper » Logged

Keep on Dooking!
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 10:06:48 AM »

Talked to Canucklehead last night after he came over to pick-up some soup, the Carnivore Care and even some Wysong.  Knowing how picky he can be when dealing with food, we figured that it was best to have a variety...  Tongue

Well, it turns out that Hobbes has actually taken some soup!  Shocked

Plus, his breathing, which was way to rapid and short, was better and he also took his new medication...   Smiley

Let's keep hoping that he pulls through...  

Keep on Dooking!
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 10:18:45 AM »

I'm really glad to hear this news!  I sure hope he continues to improve.

Lynn

Webmaster
Canucklehead
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 07:19:40 PM »

Over the course of today, Hobbes seems to have taken a step or two backwards.  He's more listless and seems to have less of an appetite.  We're upping the dosage on one of his meds, so we're hoping that will help out.

If things get worse overnight, we're going to have to bring him to Alta Vista for emergency treatment.  He's got an appointment with our regular vet on Monday as well.

Right now, things aren't looking so good for him, but we're going to continue doing what we can for him.
Canucklehead
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 10:10:30 AM »

Well, all of our efforts were in vain.  Hobbes has just degenerated too fast for us to save him.  We're on our way to the emergency vet's on Carling to help him cross the bridge.

I wanted to wait till we could see our own vets tomorrow, but he's suffering today and we don't want to prolong it.  I don't think he'd make it till tomorrow morning anyways.  He's no longer able to control his bladder and he stumbles rather than walks.  And, his breathing is more laboured than ever now.

He's had a good life and he's given us some good memories.  I'll never forget his introduction to Peanut and the flying poop from her when they fought.  He didn't appreciate getting pooped on and then getting his head washed under in the sink.

Thanks for all the well-wishes, everyone.  It was much appreciated.  I think his best bud Calvin is going to miss him as much as we will.

Update:  Hobbes passed away on the way to the emergency vet.  He died in our arms, so that's better than in the company of strangers.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 11:42:01 AM by Canucklehead » Logged
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 04:48:50 PM »

So sorry...  Please, don't hesitate to call if you need anyting, even if it's just to talk...  

We just feel terrible and are truly saddened by your loss. We just wish there was more we could have done.  Sad

Hugs to everyone in the house and give some extra nudges/scratches to your fuzzbuts for us.

Keep on Dooking!
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 05:51:58 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear that Hobbs has passed away. My thoughts are with you. At least his suffering has ended.

Webmaster
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 09:32:51 PM »

Hey......sorry I have just popped on the forum now.....viper did touch base with me to ask some advice but obviously things were worse off then initially thought.

I know it is cold comfort but here are a few tidbits about our super sick kids to ease the pain.....I don't want you second guessing yourselves and your efforts....alot of 'what if's' and so on......

1) Ferrets may be domesticated but like any animal that was decendent from something once wild, they do not show their pain and ailments as openly as people. This means that if they look pretty sick, they could be rrreeeeaaaallllyyyyyyy sick on the inside.  If an animal shows how seriously weak it is, it is food for stronger predators........ even our pet fuzzies can show this behaviour.  My old Chi chi was a prime example.  He was on a lot of meds and seemed to get so old overnight........I nursed him along and when I finally decided it was time, the vet was surprised how decent he looked (he looked pretty sick still) considering how shut down he was and how much fluid was in his lungs...I had no idea!

2) Heart stuff is really hard to manage. We don't do constant blood work monitoring or blood pressures and such  to titrate the effects of what we are trying to accomplish.  Cardiac issues are very complicated, and can be insidious in their evolvment over time.  These guys are tough and small and everything happens fast when it finally decides it can't handle any more....he was very likely battling issues some time before you noticed serious signs and symptoms.

I know this is not great comfort but I hope it offers you some peace.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  This just never gets easy but we never stop opening our hearts for these wonderful creatures!

Take care!

Me

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: