Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ Best Buys for Supplies (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Wysong 100% <meat> au jus
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Wysong 100% <meat> au jus  (Read 9670 times)
Viper
FRSO Members

« on: April 01, 2007, 08:56:15 AM »

As you may have heard, the "Wysong 100% <meat> au jus" is being replaced with a 95% meat (with the remaining being filled with Animal Plasma & Guar Gum).  <_<

Since more and more of us are using this product for our soup supplements and some of us are trying to stock up, I thought we could keep a listing of the remaining local Pet Valu stores that has stock.

As far as we know, the following stores are out of stock and/or don't carry the 100%:

* Barrhaven Crossing [95% is available]
* Merivale Place [95% is available]
* Westgate Shopping Centre [95% is available]
* Elmvale Acres SC [95% is available]
* Kanata Centrum [95% is available]
* Manotick Mews
* Greenbank Square
* Shoppers City East
* Alta Vista Shopping Centre
* Market Square
* Orleans Town Centre

According to Pet Valu.com , here are the remaining Ottawa* locations:

* Southgate Shopping Centre (2515 Bank Street)
[On 27/04/2007, they had 12 small cans of chicken.]
[The 95% is available]

* 1490 Richmond Road
[On 12/05/2007, they had 4 small cans.]
[The 95% is available]

* 170 Beechwood Ave.
[On 18/05/2007, they had 16 small cans of chicken.]
[The 95% is available]

* Montreal Square (570 Montreal Road)  Is this location still open?

And here are the non-Ottawa* locations:

Stoneridge Mall
429-431 Ottawa Street
Almonte, ON, K0A 1A0

Carleton Place Mews
39 Lansdowne Avenue
Carleton Place, ON, K7C 3S9

Arnprior Shopping Centre
375 Daniel Street South
Arnprior, ON, K7S 3K5

Thanks for sharring!  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 01:29:49 PM by Viper » Logged

Keep on Dooking!
sarahbellum
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 06:26:48 PM »

Thanks for this info Viper!
Sooooo once the 100% is all out, is there a better alternative brand than using the 95%? Or should I look into investing in a meat grinder? (Sean would probably get grumpy with me if I took the kitchen over for ferret food production Cheesy )
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 11:33:32 AM »

I hope and pray that the 95% is sill safe.  :unsure:

The way I figure, Animal Plasma is basically animal based blood...  Right?  If so, this should simply mean that they are adding some extra (since the 100% animal would contain some)... So, in theory, this is not necessearly a bad thing...

It's the Guar Gun that I'm unfamiliar. Accordin to WIKI, it's simply a more efficient and cost less than: cornstarch...

So, unless someone knows more about these ingredients suggests otherwise, once (the city and) I run out of the 100%, I will offer the 95% to my kids.

Personally, I'm not interested in the meat grinder - yet...  Reason for it is that I figure that the 95%-100% Wysong contains most if not all body parts of the animal (such as the brain, spine, etc.) which contains some nutrients which may not be available in the meat cuts  found at the butcher.

Keep on Dooking!
Sci-Ferret

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 06:27:52 AM »

plasma is just basically blood with the red blood cells removed, either by centrifugation or clotting. So all the proteins that are found in whole blood are still there.

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
Kalimata

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 07:35:54 AM »

As far as my wife and I can tell...our small research would indicate that guar gum is not only a product used as a filler but it is also used as a preservative. Why they have decided to add it when none was used before is a mystery. However, my wife is planning on getting to the bottom of it with an email to the company asking them big question "WHY"?. We'll keep you all posted. Same goes for the animal plasma. In our humble opinion...The "Wysong Au jus" is still the best product on the market for hyper carnivores such as ferrets. Because it does not contain such things as fruits or vegetables, nor does it contain other types of fillers such as flour, rice or corn. The only thing that can come close to this product  one that Lynn has used with her guys: Heinz baby food: Chicken and broth. It too has none of the above mentioned "BAD" additives so you may want to start giving this a try on it's own or in the duck soup mix. Again, remember, the little guys may hesitate at first because of the new smell or new taste so they may need a little coaxing to get them started.

Kali
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 07:58:03 AM »

The problem with baby food is the jars are small and expensive!  Also, Heinz brand is becoming harder to get.  Loblaws switched to Beechwood (which has a lower protein content) and Zellers appears to be switching to Gerber (I haven't compared Gerber to Heinz yet).  I cleaned out the Heinz stock in 2 Zellers and 1 Walmart this week!

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 07:08:29 PM »

I cleaned out the Heinz stock in 2 Zellers and 1 Walmart this week!
If I happen to find some in my neighbourhood, should I clear out the stock for ya?  Tongue  

Keep on Dooking!
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 07:14:45 PM »

I wouldn't worry... I've got enough to last me at least a month and a half... probably more if things go the way I expect tomorrow (I'm taking 3 ferrets in to the vet and will be surprised if more than 1 comes home - Teemu and my Murphy Brown are barely hanging on and have been on palliative care for a while now).   Thanks anyway.

Webmaster
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 07:30:55 AM »

Sad  

Keep on Dooking!
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 10:49:10 AM »

Initial Post Updated.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 10:50:41 AM by Viper » Logged

Keep on Dooking!
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 02:26:43 PM »

When in doubt......grinding chicken necks and such is an alternative and has protein, bone source minerals and fat.......I know...gross but still a healthy alternative as well.......Smiley
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 01:26:54 PM »

Another alternative we found is Wellness 95% <meat> (Chicken, Beef, Venison or Turkey) canned formula for dogs. Don't worry, I'll (gladly) stay away from the Salmon...

They all contain:
<meat>, Water Sufficient for Processing, Natural Flavors, Cassia Gum, Carrageenan

Doesn't sound any worst than the 95% Wysong...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 01:33:55 PM by Viper » Logged

Keep on Dooking!
ferret_girl

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 11:44:11 AM »

According to the "Wellness Foods" website Guar Gum slows down the absorption of glucose so it may actually be good for ferrets suffering from insulinoma...? Here's what it says:

Guar Gum
Guar gum is the extract of Cyamopsis tetragonolobus , a legume grown primarily in India and Texas. It is usually used in canned pet foods to bind water to improve the appearance of the product. It can be used in foods for diabetic pets since it also slows the absorption of glucose.

I've been feeding my boys the 95% meat one for over 4 months now since the Barrhaven Pet Value does not carry the 100% anymore...I've seen changes at all except for weight gain which probably has to do with the fact that they love it so much and stalk me until I provide them each with some.  
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 06:36:15 AM »

This little tidbit came via the ferrethealth email list this morning...

IMHO, the Wysong canned and the Wysong Archetypal I (the cold processed dehydrates food) foods are good.  My only complaint would be that when the ferrets eat either the canned or the reconstituted dehydrated foods, they have much softer stools from the
increased moisture content.

At the Symposium in Portland, Dr. Susan Brown spoke on ferret nutritional issues.  She had good things to say about the Wysong foods.   Another food she felt was good was the Nature's Variety frozen patties.  These are 95% animal carcass, with some additives for nutrient and mineral supplementation.  Here is a link to information about them:
Natures Variety

Webmaster
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »

I suspect that the need for the guar gum arised from some of the canned meat looking 'off'......it wasn't but I contacted the company with my roomate last year with these concerns.  The meat would appear greyish and such in some cans and bright pink and healthy looking in others.  The company assured me that it varied with the batch.  No one got sick.  I haven't seen what the new food looks like consistently yet........
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: