Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ Best Buys for Supplies (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Wood Stove Pellets!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Wood Stove Pellets!  (Read 27303 times)
elfbabe

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 07:52:58 PM »

The guy out on Mitch Owens Rd. had lots in stock today, both hardwood and softwood, for $7 a bag plus GST. (so $7.35 after tax) I bought 400lb and left right as the freezing rain started - that much weight in the back sure helps a RWD car in conditions like that!

They're currently open 'till (I think) 1 on Saturdays and 6 on weekdays. Just drive up, park by the house, ring the doorbell, pay for your pellets, and then back up to where they tell you to go.
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2009, 11:42:25 AM »

The Rona and the Home Depot in Gloucester (near Innes and Blair) both have wood pellets in stock.  The price this year has gone up again ~ $7 per bag (Home Depot is slightly cheaper).

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 03:43:28 PM »

Canadian Tire stores are also selling pellets now for $6.99 per bag.

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 09:00:59 PM »

Only adding this because I am almost out of wood pellets myself but Kinburn Feed and Seed on 3135 Kinburn Side Road  always have wood pellets.  They stock hardwood and softwood but softwood are cheapest.  Best to phone ahead though as I appreciate that it is a long drive for most people, 613-832-1130.

My issue with Yesterdays News is the strong smell of ammonia on the wet litter, I find it overwhelming.
jenen21

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 05:55:31 PM »

Hi All
Im not from Ottawa but you might want to try horse feed dealers....they usually have some....people use it for horse bedding....might also be under the name of "woody pet" but that might just be around the GTA
jenen
Ferrettaxi
FRSO Board

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2010, 11:55:05 AM »

Just a reminder to all, and for those who may not have seen Elfbaby's post...

Contact info:
Ottawa Wood Pellet Stoves
Walter Bunda
613-822-0574
8310 Mitch Owens Rd., Edwards, Ontario K0A 1V0

A guy who farms and sells pellet stoves and pellets! He's got lots and lots in stock, $4.80 for the 40lb bags and $4.50 for 35lb bags that are meant to be used as horse bedding. (apparently they are a little softer and break apart a little easier) And he says he keeps them in stock all year!

So if you are willing to drive down to Mitch Owens Road, or if you can work out delivery with him (not sure how much it would cost, but his card says he delivers) you may not need to hoard wood stove pellets in the summer anymore. Yay! But given the problems Rona's had getting them in, I bought 400lb anyway. 

If you're driving there, don't trust Google Maps - take 417 to Boundary Rd. to Mitch Owens, not Bank to Mitch Owens.

Edit: Oh, and he apparently only takes cash or cheques, judging by what's on the receipt he gave me. Dunno if he'd actually take a cheque for a relatively small purchase, but regardless, don't expect to use your debit card.
lilangel

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2010, 03:44:12 PM »

I called Richie feed and seed on 1390 Windmill Ln. , Ottawa, On and they have the "woody pet" brand there for $9.00 i think the size is 13.6 Kg(30lbs) but i forget exactly info on http://www.woodypet.com/horse.html

I am going to be trying this for my rats as i own rats that use a litter box Smiley

I do not have any ferrets but i was searching around on what wood stove pellets were safe and your site came up and thought to post where to get this stuff all year around also.

Ferrettaxi
FRSO Board

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2010, 05:22:25 PM »

Any and all help is always appreciated! Especially when it comes to finding litter Grin

Thanks!
Jen
lilangel

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2010, 05:02:17 PM »

I picked some up at richies today they did not have the brand "woody pet" in but they did have Granules brand horse pellet bedding for $7.95 for 35lbs bag. I bought this today and now trying it out with the rats.

Right now they are tasting it >.< but i hope in time they will only do the DO in it hehe

I am glad i joined up as in time when i no longer have any rats i think id like to foster or adopt some ferrets(maybe foster first)

JessLough
FRSO Board

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 02:31:22 PM »

Went to the wood pellet guy out in Edwards today!  They had lots of pellets!  Picked up 6 bags, 4 for myself, 2 for the rescue, and it came to $35 with the HST.
lilangel

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2010, 01:06:48 PM »

I have a question Smiley

Well with stuffing and bedding's(such as yesterdays news,carefresh) for rats most time we freeze it to be sure no mites/lice and so on in it. Well i wondered if you freeze this pellet at all for ferrets? Seems my rats broke out with mites and now all need to be treated (all 21 of them )>.< And the only new item we got them is the litter/horse bedding.

So i wondered if it would be safe to freeze this pellet stuff before hand(72 hours freeze)
Georgiesmom
FRSO Members

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2010, 03:23:28 PM »

I personally don't freeze my pellets and we don't for the rescue.  I don't know of anyone who has had this problem with the pellets. 
We have so many ferrets coming and going it's not something we can ever prevent even though we try to be vigilant.  No sooner do I get my own ferrets clear then I have brought earmites back from the rescue (or maybe I took them there).

Is it possible that you could have carried the mites into your rats area from elsewhere?  Not implying that you have earmites but they could have been on your clothing.   

If you are treating for earmites you have to clean everything that they come into contact with or you will be wasting your time.

I can't see what harm it would do to the pellets to freeze them so long as they are in an airtight container/bag. 

I'll also ask MaryBeth to answer you, she used to keep rats before she had the ferrets.

lilangel

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2010, 12:33:32 AM »

Thanks yeah hubby said too only thing best to do to freeze them is air tight baggies, first do a mini baggie test to be sure they do not get wet lol

Yeah we have to do a full clean up now all fabric we use in hot water and such, it stinks when things like this go.

For how i may have got them i do not shop and such at pet stores(i do not supply pet stores) and i did not come in contact with any other animals. But this is kind of common for us to get when buying stuff such as bedding. We use horse wormer paste to treat the rats (we can also use revolution(for cats) And so far this is the only bedding/litter stuff we buy (i use fabric/fleece only in the cages) But yup your so right everything needs to be treated and cleaned with hot water and so on.

I buy all my stuff from richie feed and seed and being that it came from a warehouse it could be quite possible i got it from there Sad

I just wondered if ferrets get mites on the body or just in thee ears like cats? For rats it goes on the body of them.

I shall give the freeze test a go also and post how it goes too lol

I understand too ferrets coming and going for us when i did run the rescue(rat rescue) it was the same here too every rat that came in was treated in case also.

Thanks again for replying Smiley And the ratties are all ok Wink We treated them right away boy it was a super day cleaning and treating Wink
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2010, 08:52:52 PM »

As far as mites goes, I used to have rats and heard of mites in things like shavings, particluarly horse bedding.  So far, I have never heard of mites in the woodstove pellets. I wouldn't worry about freezing it but it certainly wouldn't hurt. Something I used for my rats was the wheat clumping cat litter. It smelled nice, you could pick it out like litter, it was biodegradable and easier on the rat's feet compared to pellets.

Good luck.

fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2010, 08:55:19 PM »

....also, I think that skin mites are different than ear mites. The ear mites can be passed between ferrets in bedding or by direct contact.  Skin mites are essentially mange as far as I know.....
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: