Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ Best Buys for Supplies (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Egaads!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Egaads!  (Read 5250 times)
Kalimata

« on: October 04, 2006, 08:55:14 AM »

Sandy Hill Pet Food Co-op.

It's on Wilbrod st in Sandy Hill.  There is a yearly membership fee of $5.00, and get this, 2 big bags of Ultimate 8 in 1 ferret food, which retails at some of the major pet food stores in the area for $23.00 a bag, $30.00 at the Pet Co-op!  Thirty bucks for two bags.  They'll order the 8in1 soft, natural gold, inova evo ferret.  Fantastic prices.

Kali
Kalimata

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 05:03:24 AM »

Well it would appear that I was a little over excited with regards to my last post. Therefore, at my wife's request, she would like me to clarify a few things that I have neglected to mention. (Oops, my bad. Boy did I get it.) Here is all the COMPLETE info that should have been posted:

Sandy Hill Pet Food Co-Op
304 Wilbrod Street
613-321-5915
www.sandyhillpetfood.ca

And yes for the small yearly fee of $5.00 they give you about a 10% on their already low prices. Such as:

*8 in 1 Ultimate: SOFT @ $13.50
*8 in 1 Ultimate: CRUNCHY @ $15.00 for a 4.4lbs bag
(the company does not carry this brand in any other size)

*Totally Ferret @ $19.50 for a 4lbs bag
("Barry's Pet Choice" on Second Ave. still has the best price for this @ $17.99, the Beachwood location charges almost $10.00 more!)
*Totally Ferret @ $48.50 for a 15lbs. bag
*Totally Ferret @ $90.00 for a 30lbs. bag

*Natural Gold @ $21.00 for a 4lbs. bag
*Natural Gold @ $79.00 for a 20lbs. bag

*Innova EVO Ferret @ $6.75 for a 2lbs. bag
*Innova EVO Ferret @ $38.50 for a 15lbs. bag

They are also looking into the "Wysong" product line and the "Sheppards and Green" so we'll keep you posted on their availability and cost if possible. The shop is great at placing special orders and items arrive within a week or less. As you can see, the prices and selection cant be beat. My wife is also looking into other ferret products such as treats and items for ferret health. Again, we'll keep you all in the loop.

Hope this helps clarify everything, and get me off the hook.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 04:41:54 PM by ferretfan » Logged
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 04:43:07 PM »

Thanks Kali, I heard about this store from another member the other day and hadn't had time to post the info!

Webmaster
Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Kalimata

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 12:13:16 PM »

Ok, so here's the new update on where and what to buy and who has the cheaper prices. (At my wife's request)

Sandy Hill Pet Food Co-Op, as you all know from my last post, have been wonderful in supplying the demand and any special requests from us ferret fanatics. They will also be carrying "Marshall" products very soon. As most of you are also aware, most of these products are only available at your local "Super Pet" store. The great thing is that Sandy Hill will be selling these items at a much more competitive price! And who doesn't like lower prices! They are now carrying "Innova EVO Ferret" in the smaller 2.2lbs. bags for the low cost of only $6.75 a bag. No need to order, they'll try to keep this on hand as a permanent item. Also, they have now added to there stock "8 in 1" ferretone in the smaller 8oz. bottles, available for only $7.25. That means that 2 small bottles will only cost $14.50 for 16oz as opposed to "Pet Smarts" cost of $16.99 for a large 16oz bottle. As a side note, they're also having a sale on their "Totally Ferret TREATS", only $1.85 a bag, and only on in stock bags. So hurry if you want to stock-up.

For other items that may be on your list...Berry's Pet Choice, on Second Ave., still has the best price on "Totally Ferret". Only $17.99 for 4lbs. bags. They also carry "Bitz" treats for $5.19 a can, compared to "Pet Smarts" $6.99. However if you're closer to Carling and Kirkwood, Critter Jungle will special order "Totally Ferret" food in the 4lbs. bad for $17.50 and the 15lbs. for $43.50. They orders are very fast and can be received in a week.

Well that's it for now. As always, we'll keep you posted on any new items that become available at Sandy Hill as well as the cost.  
Sci-Ferret

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 11:33:46 PM »

Which is better for the ferrets? the chewy kibble or the crunchy? I've heard that since ferrets teeth were originally designed for tearing meat, they tend to  wear down faster if they eat hard kibble, as opposed to the softer pellets. Also, the soft kibble contains more moisture, so they don't don't have to guzzle as much water to keep hydrated.

Any truth to this? or is it more a matter of preference? I can certainly see how soft kibble would be easier on an older ferret's teeth, but does it make a difference in the younger ones?

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
Kalimata

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 11:12:05 AM »

Sorry for the delay. Been a little busy this week helping fuzzyfostermom with some new adoptions. As to your query...you are correct, kibble is NOT good for ferrets teeth. Their teeth weren't designed to break it down. However, there's not much difference between the soft or cruchy, just personal choice/preference. Fuzzyfostermom has been feeding her guys the "soft" 8 in 1 Ultimate in the evening as a little extra treat along with the regular kibble. It is also a nice choice to have available for those ferrets who may come along that don't like hard kibble or as an alternative for ferrets that have a problem with hard kibble.  If your little ones will take the soft kibble, then the soft would be better then their teeth.  That being said, most older ferrets are already imprinted on their food, so they may not take to it.  If you have younger ones, like under 6 months or so, it may be a good idea to just skip the soft food, and try raw meat.  It's the best for their teeth, and it's closest to their optimum diet.  Suppliment with kibble, soft, available all day, and you have the best possible diet for a fuzzy, other than feeding whole mice.
Sci-Ferret

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 11:58:17 AM »

We tried introducing meat to our lil babies since they are all under 1 year, but so far they have turned their noses to it, but they will eat the soft kibble, so we'll mix that in with the hard to give them a bit of variety.

You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing.
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 09:20:33 AM »

With babies...they are still imprinted on kibble but can be more flexible than older kids.  Stick with trying new stuff!  This also benefits them when foods change in a few years and you can't get their 'favorite' diet.  Variety is the spice of life! :lol:

Try blending their kibble with some water and ferretone for taste and add some blended raw chicken into the mix.  Freeze it ice cube trays and thaw as needed.  At first they will turn their noses up but stay at it.  Rub some on each of their gums daily until they start to lick your finger. Hold them at the dish and continue to encourage licking.  Work towards getting them to eat out of the dish on their own. This should actually take no more than a few days to a week to get them to accept it.  When they are eating duck soup daily, start adding more raw meat into the new blended batches and grind stuff up like bone and organs.  As they accept this, work towards a chunkier blend...tiny pieces to start and then get bigger and bigger until they eat raw chicken out of your hand.....WHY?  Because: Raw meat is a healthier treat....it may not carry all the nutritional requirments as kibble which is why a good quality kibble remains available at all times, like Kalimata said.  Also, duck soup will save your fuzzies life if they ever get ill or underweight or require surgery.  Try convincing a sick ferret to eat something new.  Lastly, chicken bones, raw, are the best way of cleaning a ferrets teeth.  Their teeth were designed to crush bone, not kibble.

With respect to the soft kibble, it's better than hard kibble on teeth but it doesnt' clean them or their gums either.  I like it except it's far too expensive to feed as anything more than another supplement or treat.  Probably great for older ferrets who already have teeth adn gum issues and think duck soup is for the birds.....

ME Smiley
Kalimata

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 07:14:20 PM »

MARSHALL's are here! MARSHALL's are here!

Yes, it is true. Sandy Hill Pet Food Co-Op now has a wide selection of Marshall products in-stock and on the shelves. And boy, get a load of the prices:

"Bandit" treats- beef or chicken: $2.95  (Pet Smart- $3.89)
*polar fleece, "Critter Tent": $29.50  (Super Pet- $39.75!)
*"Pull N' Go" toys: $6.75  (Pet Smart- $7.99)
*polar fleece ball with bell inside, 2pk, toys: $5.25  (Super Pet- $7.97!)
*"Daily Spritz": $8.25  (Super Pet- $13.65)

*"Ferret Aide": $8.95  (Super Pet- $14.95)
-This product can be helpful during times of stress, illness, travel or extreme heat. Helps to maintaine sufficient hydration and mineral balance.

*"Ferret RX": $10.25  (Super Pet- $13.65)
-Natural product that opens up the nasal passages. Can be used when they have a could or the sniffles

*"PrioBiotic": $11.95  (Super Pet- $14.67)
-This product is used for restoring natural balance and reconditioning the digestive      
 track.

*"Ferret Lax": $10.25  
-We all know what this does!  and you should always have some on hand.

*****Please keep in mind that with the "medical" products..."When in doubt, ALWAYS check with the vet". Especially if your ferret is experiencing prolonged symptoms.*****

As you can see, most of these products are only available at "Super Pet". And with a hefty mark-up. Just keep in mind, that the prices that are quoted for Sandy Hill are the MEMBERS price. For the small cost of a $5.00 yearly membership you can save a lot too! However, you don't need a membership to shop there. The more people that start shopping there, the more products they'll start keeping on hand. And possibly adding new ones as well! As well, we can now add to the list "Natural Gold" 3lbs. bags for $21.00. Compared to Pet Smart's $23.99.

Have fun shopping!

Kali
Snuzanne
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 06:13:10 AM »

Gee Kali you have done such a great job at convincing them to carry products, how do you think you would do convincing them to start carrying these products online, for those of us "shut-ins" who would love to get treats for our ferrets and the best prices but can't get there.  Yes, there is a "man in the house" but he does have his hands full and is a rather "old dog", shall we say.  A great one, the kind you never want to trade ever, because they are so well trained, but teaching them new tricks takes forever.  So, I am fortunate that he goes to Petsmart, won't buy toys etc  since the prices for what "they are only going to hide on us anyways", are ridiculous.  So it is hard to get him to different stores.  He accidentally found the Beechwood store, one day, and now goes there once in a while.  Our guy eat, 8&1 Ultimate crunchy since he hasn't been able to find the regular for awhile mixed in with Shepphard's & Greene.  I worry sometimes that maybe Bandit wasn't eating enough and died because of it, I am just not sure. But I would like to get them back on the soft- but that is expensive - or at least the regular mixed with the Sheppards.  Now, if I could do buying over the net, locally, that would be fabulous!! And I am sure that I cannot be the only individual with a ferret or other pet, that is shut in.  Convince them to be innovators.  Is there store wheelchair accessible.  I know that Beechwood is not.  Ideas- otherwise I end up buying from the States which I just don't like to do on a regular basis.

Thanks for any idea.
 Smiley ,

Snuzanne

Kalimata

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 02:03:56 AM »

Hey Snuzanne!

Nice to have you back! I hope the surgery went well, as is your recovery. As for your query...No the store is not wheelchair accessible BUT we may have two options in this regard... 1. I'll get the old wife to ask about if there is any web site purchasing available and 2. I'll also get her to ask about any services such as "home delivery", like they have at grocery stores. As a last resort I know I can speak for the two of us when I say that we have offered our services MANY times to those in need when transportation or location has been an issue. We would be more than happy to extend a helping hand to your family and make the trip for you when needed. We go at least once, if not twice a month to Sandy Hill.

This goes for any one else as well. I know that Jen has personally spoken with some of you about not being shy and given us a call if you need a lift to the store. That or calling us and placing an order for what you need us to pick-up for you the next time we go. We're only about 10-15 min. away from the store and we live next to the Civic Hospital so we're pretty central.

As for CANADIAN web sites...we have yet to find any big ones. There are a few of the shelters across Canada that sell selected items such as Totally Ferret food and Bandit treats. Or like us, hand made hammocks, bedding and used items such as cages and carriers. But nothing compared to the larger American sites. Still working on that one.

We'll keep you posted on what Sandy Hill has to say. We've go to stop by soon, again, to pick-up a few things. It never ends! The shopping that is!

Kali

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: