Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ Introductions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Quick Intro
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Quick Intro  (Read 4780 times)
Weezilwitch
FRSO Members

« on: September 29, 2006, 10:21:25 PM »

Hello all!

I live with three cats, two ferrets and one wife.  I am a transplanted Montrealer who's lived in Ottawa for six years.  I write, tell stories, sculpt and do various crafts, for money when I can manage it.  

Anyway, enough about me, let's get to the good part. The ferrets are Charlotte and Elise, both sprites, both three years old, both deaf, both adrenal.  Elise is a DEW, Charlotte is something I haven't seen on any colour charts (somewhere between a white and a light silver, with some roan characteristics).  

Elise has an extensive doll collection which she likes to rearrange.  She's very good about wearing costumes (she is the clown in the Spring 2004 Frolic photos) and likes to terrorise the cats (you haven't lived until you've seen a 1 pound ferret beat up a 12 pound cat).  Her favourite toy is my extremely sharp rubber-handled craft scissors, but she makes do by stealing the kitchen scissors every time she gets her teeth on them.

Charlotte was a blaze, but seems to be giving that up, so I can't call her my little badger anymore. She likes to dance with me (we're currently working out a human-ferret version of the Macarena) and gives lots of lovely kisses on a daily basis.  Did you know that if a ferret licks the inside of your nose you can feel the tongue rasps? Charlotte's prize possession is her miniature football, and she's boy-crazy.  Every Frolic is an excuse to seek out as many male ferrets as possible.  Maybe she wants to play football with them...

dook,
Maureen

I had a bad attitude a minute ago, but I think my ferret just swiped it.
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 10:04:12 AM »

Ha Ha!!!!!!  Wonderful!!!! Tongue

Well, it's so nice to have you on our forum!!!!!!  I for one can never get enough of ferrety stories!!!!  I think they all have a few screws loose and that's just the way they're meant to be!!!!!!  It suits me just fine!

They sound like a great pair and keep you healthy and happy....or atleast on your toes...and sharp!....like the scissors they keep stealing!

I have 27 in my home, soon to be 31 and counting........you wanna talk cuckoo...try walking with 20 ferrets out at once....and all want to do the macerana.....normally when I'm trying to vaccuum or clean....ferrets are clean freaks but I don't think they are as good at it as they think they are...mostly because what I put in the bag, they take out....oh look....I have to vaccuum....again.......yeesh.  :blink:

Anyway, keep the silly antics coming!  It always cheers me up and keeps me motivated to keep saving these unwanted kids of mine......that and the odd bottle of red wine...... Wink

Enjoy your weekend!!!!

Me  Cheesy  
Weezilwitch
FRSO Members

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 08:45:49 PM »

Cheesy Thanks for the warm welcome!

I can't even imagine dealing with twenty-plus ferrets - or thirty plus for that matter.  The way it works is this: I have two hands, therefore I have two ferrets.  More ferrets would require more hands.  This works well as long as I do not enter petstores, hear, see or read about adoptable ferrets in any way, or spend any time visiting ferret-related websites, attending Frolics, etc.  Then I have to use my fall back position - we can't afford more vet bills. Sad  I had to pass up a "ferret complete with cage and accessories $100" ad recently, and that hurt - I even had a name picked out.  Hopefully he'll go to a good home - I suspect many in that situation don't.

My girls love the vacuum cleaner as well, especially the hand vac which has red flashing lights.  That was useful once when I was cleaning out the floor ducts.  I pried off a grill and asked my wife to look after it while I fetched the hand vac.  For reasons best known to herself, she decided to watch two ferrets instead of one hole - I got back to the living room just in time to see a fluffy white bottom disappearing downwards.  Horrors! a ferret in the ductwork and I can't even call her!  I stuck the handvac in there and turned it on, hoping she'd be attracted to the lights and vibration - and it worked! Smiley
I still wish I could click-train the little beasties, though.

dook,
Maureen  

Snuzanne
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 04:50:05 AM »

Welcome Weezilwitch,  

Now think of the money you could make cleaning ductwork, au naturel, shall we say!!.  Not everyone wants these monster vacuum machines outside their homes advertising that you need your ductwork cleaned because you haven't vacuumed enough over the years. Cheesy  Just send the ferrets down, just like they did when they were ferreting for rabbits, and when they come out, and they will, just vacuum the ferret and the pile of dust that comes out with them. Tongue  No one will know that you had your ducts cleaned.   I am kidding of course.  

Welcome.  We are a family of 4 ferrets, 1 old husband, 1 teenager , 1 married son with 2 babies with another one on the way. (They now have their own apartment, hurrah)!!  We started with ferrets when I set impossible goals that I was sure my young son would never achieve, so what did I have to worry about.    Well, a deal is a deal and Bandit joined our family 5 years ago.  Minx,3, was rescued from a teenager who thought ferrets were like hamsters. Not! So now there were 2. Then visiting a petstore,2.5 years ago, I saw 2 little ferts(supposed to be boys), in an aquarium, no food, no litter box,  dirty bottom, no ventilation, they were damp and shivering, how could I leave them like that. Made a deal with the store, and then there were four!!  Tongue   Two boys and Two girls.  And those girls brought ear mites and ticks with them to share with the rest.  No charge for the extras!!  :blink:

I have been warned that I must not purchase anymore.  But we can foster a few instead.  Not like fuzzyfostermum.  Holy Ferrets, I don't know where she keeps them all.  Next house,  I am going to have a ferret room built just for them.  Easy wash floors & walls, haha, and wall tubes and a jungle gym.  Now we just trip over all the toys and tunnels which is not so good since I use my walker in the house.  )

One of the girls, Natasha, thinks she is a world traveler.  Escaped from the house in Orleans and was found 30 days later in Kanata.  Made a wreck out of me but she is more outgoing now than ever.  We have to keep a closer eye on her since she is always yearning for the outside.  Perhaps she was travelling to meet all those other ferrets that live out near Dunrobin.  If they know the macarena already and can line dance too,  I bet that is where she was heading, since she loves music and dancing too.  No more computer time for her.  Obviously she can read, and I thought she was just keeping me company while I was online. Aren't they something these ferret creatures.   Welcome again Weezilwitch,

B)
Sue
Kalimata

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 08:48:11 AM »

Welcome to our wonderfull fuzzy forums Cheesy

I've got 7 of our own fuzzies, and 2 beautiful fosters (Jack and Jill <3 )  But nothing beats Fuzzyfostermom's place when her fosters are a running.  Thats a sight to see, believe me Cheesy

Glad to have another fuzzy parent cruising the forums, because that's another collection of wonderfull stories we get to read Cheesy  And BTW that pic of your little one in the clown costume is my wife's favorite photo on this web site, (she likes it even more than the pictures of our babies on the site Shocked)

Kali
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 08:42:28 AM »

TOO MUCH FUN!!!!   :lol:

You guys are all terrific.....what you all didn't realize is I could never have accomplished feats like 30 odd fuzzies in one house without help...thanks to all of you!!!!!  

The good news is, Weezilwitch, that I too monitor the usedottawa website with other members help, and we all try to take in any unwanted fuzzies.......the ferret listed for $100 could very well have been the one I ended up getting.......If you see one and worry, let me know!  The one listed on there presently is actually not available...the owner is going to end up keeping him.

As far as duck work cleaning...tried that once......when we moved into my home....which only belongs to me on paper...i'm most definately outnumbered....I was having the floors redone.  The ferrets, (not 30 at the time....I think I was only at 13?......I can't even remember what that feels like)......were not allowed anywhere in the rest of the house.  They had the run of my formal front room.....I left a couch and tv in there so I could still call it a sitting room...formal, it is not.  Anyway, my little trickster, Ricky......well he pried his door barrier open.  Away he went......I found him missing quite quickly and figured he was off exploring.  They had the run of my home before the new one so he was used to the space.  My eye immediately caught sight of the open floor vent that should not have been left like that........a big, new house to explore and he goes to the first hole he sees?....well, of course....it was what they were bred to do and he did not miss his calling.

I ran to the basement and heard him scuttling along the vent system.....yeesh.... how do you get him out when he's in the basement?  I found a cap on one of the vents and used the infamous squeaky toy to call.......rattle, scuttle, scrape....he came running.  I had to be careful sliding him out because the edges were super sharp...I cut myself  <_< .....anyway, just as Kalimata said, he was covered in dust and webs.....needless to say, no cleaning necessary for the vent system......

Welcome to our crazy world.....now, if you figure two hands, two ferrets.....where the hang does that leave me?.......no wonder I feel so out of control! :ph34r: I always prided myself on being quite good at multi tasking........there's alot of ferret poopie, let me tell you!  Hey, Kalimata.....whaddya doin this weekend? HaHa!!!   Tongue

Enjoy your thanksgiving.......
Weezilwitch
FRSO Members

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 11:08:51 AM »

Actually, "Birkin", as he would have been called, was listed in the Ottawa Pennysaver, as was Charlotte ($300 in her case).

Elise is indeed photogenic - the last Frolic Photos have a number of her - hanging out in her grey fleece front pack and with her other mom and red ribbon for Lightest Female.  She has a good deal of hair loss right now - much balder than she was at the frolic - but when she regrows some hair I plan to take some glamour shots of her - I already bought a little feather boa for her posing session.  Now: how do I get her to wear a tiara? Tongue

Dook,
Maureen

fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 06:51:42 PM »

Hey....if your little one is loosing hair for the winter change.....pluck 'em......it helps with hair growth and helps prevent hairballs.......now i'm not the professional plucker but I did try it with great results!  Have you ever taken your kids to see Dr. Darren Auger?  He's our ferret guru and can palpate adrenal tumours or irritable bowel disease from a mile away........ Tongue  
Weezilwitch
FRSO Members

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 10:58:43 PM »

Actually, Dr. Auger diagnosed both Charlotte and Elise with adrenal disease and is their official "pediatrician" as of the Frolic - we have severed ties with their former vet, the ones who cost us over $500 in mostly useless procedures.  

Elise will have her surgery scheduled soon.  She has had a Lupron shot and is regrowing hair - I have mostly plucked out the old stuff, so what we basically have here is a ferret with a crew cut and some wispy white "feathers" around her haunches.  She hasn't noticed she's sick - she's just not sure why I keep grabbing her, plucking her fur and examining her bottom.

Charlotte is not a surgery candidate.  She had the most impressively swollen vulva, which is now slowly receding, enough for her to start using the litterbox again. Smiley   She's still fat and fluffy and just wishes I'd stop fussing with her private bits.

Charlotte must be feeling better, though - the other night she got up on a chair and started knocking candles and crystals off the dining room table - I'm not sure what she wanted them for, but it was pretty close to the full moon.

Dook,
Maureen

fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 03:34:11 PM »

Yah....I have to admit that Dr. Darren MAGIC-HANDS Auger is just about the best there is.......now if only we could figure out how to clone him.......? Wink  
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 08:00:59 AM »

Yes - please. I'll even throw in some $$$.  Wink  

Keep on Dooking!
Kalimata

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 08:13:24 AM »

Hmmmm, I think sometimes I really should have my head checked.  I'm reading about cloning Dr.Auger, and all I get is a scenerio in my head:  "We are Auger, resistance is futile."  A great Dr.Auger collective.  Man, I gotta get some sleep... Tongue  
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 10:03:14 AM »

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Keep on Dooking!
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 02:20:56 PM »

Tongue  
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: