Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ new ferret owner seeking advice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: new ferret owner seeking advice  (Read 1864 times)
Bandits
« on: September 02, 2006, 01:43:35 PM »

Hey about 3 weeks ago i got myself a new baby ferret and I have yet to succeed in putting on his harness/leash so i can bring him outside with me. Now i bought a marshal harness so i know the problem is not with the harness but my little ferret wants nothing to do with it  Sad . he just bites and moves and wont stay still for a second for me to put it on him.
Does anyone have any tips on how i can get him in a harness and get him used to wearing them?
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 02:17:08 PM »

Well my friend...you do have your work cut out for you...... Tongue

First of all, wait till your little fuzzy has pooped himself out with playing...there's no point in trying to do it when you first let him out....spend lots of time with him out and playing and interacting with you to develop that bond....it's not going to make him jump into his leash one day, but atleast he'll have more tolerance for your weird demands.  

Get it adjusted as best as you can to start so you're not fiddling it as much while you try to put it on him. Start with the neck collar and slip it on over his head....it should be snug enough that this is not super easy to do but not so tight you stretch his face....

Get the body done up next....this needs to be snug as well so he can slip and slide out of it or that it twists around his squirmy torso......If you think you have it adjusted well, let 'im rip.....he'll try sliding along the floor on his chin with his front legs tucked under him like some otter or something trying to get it off....supervise this because even with the best adjustments, the little buggers usually succeed it getting all wrapped up in it if left to fuss.....

Try to distract him with ferretone while you adjust or fuss or after you manage to get it on...

Don't leave it on  a long time to start and if you manage to get it adjusted so he can't get out of it easily, bring him outside for only a short period of time.....it's super overwhelming so baby steps.  Ferrets don't naturally just lead around nicely so don't have great expectations initially

Watch for hazards like loose dogs, other children, and holes.  They can get stuck with these things on and they don't think about that themselves.  Drinking out of puddles is bad.....

Good luck...I hope I've been of some help atleast......

ME  Cheesy  
Bandits
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 06:38:23 PM »

thanksfor info. il give it a try  Cheesy .
Kalimata

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 08:16:08 AM »

Ho ho, the fun you shall have...

Fuzzyfostermom is bang on with what you need to do.  Another thing that may help is to keep a collar on your baby.  If you start with just a collar very early on, they will get used to having it on, and later on, getting a harness on them will be easier.  As well, it's always a good idea to have a jingly bell and name tag on your baby, so you know where they are at all times.  And if by some stroke of bad luck they escape into the world, nobody will mistake your fuzzy for a wild animal, and your number will be there for the finder to call. (just remember to take it off when they go in the cage)

Getting anything on, off, into, away from, out of a baby ferret is difficult on the best of times, so like fuzzyfostermom said, a little at a time.  Give them a treat when you put the harness on, so they equate the harness to yummy treats.  Ferrets are smart, smarter then we realize some times, so they will learn that quickly.  Then wait untill you get the leash on, along with the harness before you give a treat.  Finally get em walking and give a treat.  With the exception of my Mr.Tyson ( he's adopted so don't ask me how he learned this)  I have never seen a ferret heel, or even walk in a straight line for that matter...  If anyone else out there can direct their ferrets to heel and walk straight, please let us know Tongue

Kali

P.S. By the way, I'm not familliar with the marshalls harness right off the top of my head, but I've found the best harnesses are the ones that have two "collars" connected by a strip, like a sideways "H".  They should have male to female snaps on them for quick release or quick attachment.  I'm personally not fond of collars you have to slip over their faces, i find it easier to just slip them around their neck and slip together, and my fuzzies prefer them as well.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: