Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ FRSO Updates
| |-+ Foster Ferrets
| | |-+ July 2006
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: July 2006  (Read 3255 times)
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« on: July 02, 2006, 04:40:38 PM »

Lots of movement again this past month.  We had to put Ty to sleep - his various illnesses were making his life very difficult.  In addition, Lancelot, Buster, Mindy and Pepi moved back to my home as their foster mom was moving.

Teemu - seems a little down due to the loss of Ty.  I've moved him in with one of my girls and they're tolerating each other, although neither of them play much these days.

Mindy and Pepi - I had forgotten how much fun a young, energetic pair of ferrets can be (and how much trouble they can cause).  These two are a great pair of ferrets and their previous foster mom managed to get thier nipping under control (Pepi still goes after socks when he's really excited).  Pepi's stomach seems to have improved.  He's down to soup feedings twice a day and we've had to restrict how much he eats as he gained a little too much weight the first couple of weeks he was here.

Buster and Lancelot remain a pair of cute old guys.  I think we'll need to up Busters Lupron dose this month as he's been showing extra agression lately.  Other than that, they're both doing fine (for a pair of old, adrenal ferrets that is).

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Weaselwoman
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 05:38:28 PM »

Kama remains Kama.  Still the "honourary cat" ferret who greets us at the door and begs for snacks.  Recently seems to be doing better with tolerating the other ferrets under controlled conditions.  Still runny, sloppy poops, though!  The sweetest girl with Mom, Dad and six cats.  Other people-not so much!  She's found her comfort zone here.

Funky Little Ole Lady, or Mercedes, has been having a ball bossing the babies around!  She's discovered they are afraid of her, and is taking advantage!  The Duck Soup addiction continues unabated, and she's enjoying her twilight years doing exactly what she pleases, sleeping and racing around at her own speed.  
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 08:12:07 AM »

Alice is doing well. Sleeping lots, as she should at her age! She is slightly more interested in humans now that Malfoy is gone. Still does not understand that toes live in socks. She goes for daily hall walks- her FAVOURITE activity! She will do anything to get in the hall for a walk!!!  

Webmaster
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 02:14:12 PM »

Alrighty then.....

Chelsea-this old girl has my heart....and probably my entire family wrapped around her little toes.  She is ours and we love her so much.  She still has the odd issue related to the large tumour in her chest.  We continue with the high does prednisone and understand that her time will come sooner then later.  I know what must be done and am trying to prepare for that. (here comest the tears..... Sad )  Just when I get all depressed, Chelsea comes out of nowhere and attacks my ankles, rolling over backwards and hissing.....yeesh.....the other night she climbed onto my big king size bed (not for me...to accomodate all my critters when we all go to bed) at 2am and proceeded to aggressively clean my hair, eyebrows...armpits.....gross......it took me a few minutes to realize what was happening...I'm a shift worker.  Anyhoo....negated the need for a shower that morning I guess.......we love Chelsea and feel blessed to have had her brought into our crazy lives.  We'll keep you up to date on her health.

Tyson-This big boy is now cuddly, I'm told.  Maybe he's finally found his niche...his forever home?  He's currently with a family on a trial basis so cross your fingers everyone......we'll let Kalimata keep us up to date on how the big guy is doing......

Essa-He's finally putting on weight.....hopefully to prepare for a much needed surgery.  He's adrenal aggression is being held at bay with a big horses' dose of leupron...to human's anyhoo.  I'm trying to spend lots of time with him......if anyone is interested in donating towards the surgeries of some of our special kids, please do so soon and specifiy to whom you would like your contribution to go to.  The frolic is a long ways away still and we starting to have a line up.

Just a note on that.....the choice of doing surgery or not is a big one.  We have to take into consideration a number of factors, the biggest of which is financial.  We look at age, current health, past medical history, quality of life post surgery and so on.  The problem with going the therapeutic route, instead of the surgical one, is that we have one more special needs ferret to care for, potentially long term.  The benefit to surgery is it can effectively solve a primary problem.....possibly that issue can be dealt with for the life  of the ferret or can atleast afford the fuzzy a number of problem free years.  What does that mean for us and that ferret?  It means adoption!  We want our ferrets to have loving forever homes...not to pile up with our foster families amoung all the rest who we can't cure.  That being said, surgery is more expensive initially.  We're normally looking at a bill between 400 to 1000 dollars.  We really on the support of our community in this area.  Please be generous with your donations and specify that you want it to go to medical treatment.  On the surgical list currently are Essa, Panda, and Peeka.  Thanks so much for your support already!

Panda- she is so gorgeous right now.....and sweet.  Who knew she was ill?  I recently took her in to see the infamous Dr. Auger because she was having some seemingly benign intestinal issues.  Lo and behold, she has a tumour on the outside of her intestines effectively narrowing them and making it difficult for her to poop...did you ever notice how you look at poopy more when you are owned by ferrets...and how it tends to come into conversation comfortably as if you were talking of an old friend? Tongue   Anyway, Panda needs...you guessed it....surgery. She's on the list...we'll let you know how things pan out!

Well.....I wrote too long and now I have to do a medical call in the ambulance. I will continue the updates later!

Me  :blink:  
meunier
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 11:47:31 AM »

Bear has doing well but he needs he's minimum 2 duck soup per day as he tends to get into seizures.  He does not eat kibbles unless given to him one by one.  He has also developed a skin growth on his front paw which he tends to nibble at.  We may have it checked out by Dr. Auger once approved by the board.  He is otherwise fine.  He likes to be petted and always looks for us when we arrive home.

As for Powder, he is his usual playful self.  He likes to play ruff with our ferret.  And always wants to go to out basement to play on the carpet.  Whenever he sees us looking at him, he goes and lyes at the top of the stairs waiting for us to open the gait.  He is still on Prednisone and Amoxiciline.  But his bowels have been a lot better, normal.
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 07:54:27 AM »

Howard is recovering well after the loss of Willie.  Two of our ferrets, Frank and Guiseppe, have kept him company and it seems to have helped a lot.  He's much more playful now; he especially has fun playing with his favourite pink pillow.  His hair still hasn't grown back on his belly, but it doesn't bother him any.  He also has a bit of hair loss on the back of his neck, we suspect it's from rough play with Frank although we haven't caught them at it.  We may put either Frank or Howie on their own for a while to see how that goes.  Howie is still leaking pee a little, but in general is a happy, energetic, healthy ferret.

Webmaster
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: