Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ Introductions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Hello!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hello!!  (Read 6279 times)
shannabanana

« on: June 27, 2006, 05:18:48 PM »

Hey everyone! I'm Shannon and I got a baby girl ferret for my b-day on saturday from Superpet. She is absolutely adorable, and is extremely cuddly! (which i love Cheesy ) I have been wanting a ferret for months now, and I think I read every single website there is on ferrets! I was so excited when I finally got one, and could put all my knowledge to the test. Thanks to Kalimata for all the info! (pretty sure he is the one that gave me loads of info on ferrets at Superpet friday night, along with his wife) My baby Carma is currently still on wet food (we are using the living world ferret food with a bit of kitten food wetted down) But hopefully in a week or 2 she'll be able to start on it dry. She is a nipper, but I think I'm making her realize its wrong by scruffing her and saying NO!  Slowly but surely! The only question I have right now is, for those using a wood pellets for litter, which type do you get? Is there one specific type that's best? I got a huge bag of "Granules" Wood Pellets from Rona. It comes in abig white and red plastic type bag. Is this ok?

Thanks in advance!

-Shannon
Matthew
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 10:39:42 PM »

i use teh daily scoops, so can't help ya:(...

you only got 1, it will be so lonely.
ferretyone
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 07:39:22 AM »

I'm not sure if they're the same pellets a bunch of others were getting from Rona as we were totally unable to locate them on our visit there when we got our third who is a female and realized just why people say not to use clumping litter.

We're currently using the Purina Yesterday's New which probably costs an arm and a leg more but in the meantime it works.

Basically you want to know if it's unscented and dust free, they have sensitive sniffers. The wood pellets shouldn't stick to your little girl after a pee so you shouldn't have to worry there. But those are the major things to look for I think.

So, welcome to the wonderful world of ferrets, if you spent the time to study around you should be a good owner and grow to have a nice, healthy little fuzzy. And I wish you all the energy in the world so you can keep up with your new one.

Lastly, which Rona and where in the store did you find the pellets? Our current bag cost us $24 (we checked the one near Merivale and couldn't find them), and while it's a reasonable size I won't complain about a better deal Smiley .
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 08:41:18 AM »

If you use the wood pellets (found during the heating season at Rona), make sure that they are chemical free. A 40lb bag will cost 5$.

** The Rona bags that I have are also red/white but also clearly states "Chemical Free".

P.S. The linked page also mentiones wood pellet horse stall bedding as an alternative.

Note: Pet Value in Manotic had some huges bags of pellets for 15$... Worth a look.

Welcome to the board and the wonderfull world of ferrets!  Tongue
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 07:59:05 PM by Viper » Logged

Keep on Dooking!
shannabanana

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 06:11:45 PM »

If you use the wood pellets (found during the heating season at Rone), make sure that they are chemical free. A 40lb bag will cost 5$.

** The Rona bags that I have are also red/white but also clearly states "Chemical Free".

P.S. The linked page also mentiones wood pellet horse stall bedding as an alternative.

Note: Pet Value in Manotic had some huges bags of pellets for 15$... Worth a look.

Welcome to the board and the wonderfull world of ferrets!  Tongue
I checked and the bag I have also says No Chemicals. So that makes me less hesitant to use it. I wanted to make sure it wouldnt be harmful to her first. Because it did at first, (to me anyway) has kind of a strong pine-ish smell.
fertasticfour
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 09:16:29 PM »

I only use pellets now!

I used to use the recylced paper but its so expensive and the one thing with pellets is jsut as the recycled paper stuff it obsorbes the liquid so its real easy to clean

home depot sells a 40 pound bag for 3.97

next season i think its going to 4.97

Either was walmart sells the yesterdays new for 11 bucks for a 12 pound bag so do the math

also for food i buy the breeder bags of hagen food which is really good for them in a 40 pound bag as well for about 80 bucks

its a special order which supetpet will get for you and its good food and cost wise the best way to go

im like the ing guy

SAVE YOUR MONEY!!
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 06:37:31 AM »

home depot sells a 40 pound bag for 3.97
I could be wrong but the 4$ bags may contain chemicals.

The 5$ are chemicals free.

Keep on Dooking!
fertasticfour
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 09:29:21 PM »

no chemicals in mine
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 05:18:12 PM »

Hey all!

Rona in stittsville still has tons of wood stove pellets!  Also, I'm still using the wood pellet version of horse bedding which is essentially the same thing.

Pet valu in Kanata has their brand of recycled newspaper pellets....a bigger bag than the yesterdays' news big bag is only $8.....that's awesome!!!! spread the word!  Great for the off season for wood stove pellets and a cheap alternative to boot!  Also, totally practical for the less than 4 ferret households!!!!!!

ME Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: