Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ Introductions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ New Ferret Owner
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New Ferret Owner  (Read 4926 times)
Matthew
« on: May 09, 2006, 03:48:39 PM »

Hello,

I just recently bought my first 2 ferrets 5 days ago and am already a ferret addict. Looking up as much information as possible and trying to get to know other owners. :rolleyes:

So when I found this forum I had to sign up and say hello to everyone:) Cheesy

Hi Tongue

Panthea
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 02:53:41 PM »

I am a new ferret owner too.  Aren't they just the most addictive little creatures.

Welcome

Teresa
Matthew
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 07:40:30 PM »

I find i can't stop doing research on them and buying new things for them.

Going to make a rice digging bowel thing this weekend for them. They have their first vet apt. friday with the blair doc. I hope they are ok:P
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 06:54:03 AM »

Not having visited any other vet, I can't truly compare.

That being said, we were always well served by the staff at that location and Dr. Auger (ferret guru) is super.

We were also pleasantly surprised with the costs...

Keep on Dooking!
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 06:55:24 AM »

Aren't they just the most addictive little creatures.
Like the Lay's commercial a few years back: Bet you can't have just one! Tongue  

Keep on Dooking!
Matthew
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 01:23:12 PM »

they got their rice digging container today. I have to get another one though... they got territorial with it, or just playing.

Do you guys give yours 24/7 access, or just supervised playtimes? Cause I am wondering if I could attach it to the cage or shouldn't I?
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 06:49:43 AM »

Our ferrets are out of the cage only when we're around to supervise.  Sad

That being said, we rotate their "toys". So the rice box is out for 1-2 weeks, then we hide it from them for the next two weeks.  :unsure:  

Keep on Dooking!
Matthew
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 08:08:53 AM »

y do you rotate their toys? so they don't get bored of them?
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 09:10:27 AM »

Precisely.

Keep on Dooking!
Matthew
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 12:53:20 PM »

2 stool samples taken, 2 ferrets worn out, now I am ready for the vet apt. later today.

On a second note, Loki(the crazy energized runt of her litter) has started climbing things. I lost her in our ferret proofed room but found her shortly afterwards behind teh spring board.... Still no idea how that happened, but I fixed it so she can't climb there anymore. Well I took her for a small walk, second time on the leash, up and down the halls. Want both of them to be use to a leash for the frollic in a couple of weeks.

Shadow aka shade, my nick for him is plague is still calm an happy. He sleeps alot more then the runt, but i don't mind the lil calmness he brings.
Canucklehead
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 01:13:24 PM »

You'll be amazed at how often a ferret can defeating ferret-proofing.  It took us six months to ferret-proof the rec room in our basement.  Every time we thought we had it, one of them would find a way past all the defenses.

I can't count the number of times I've been watching tv upstairs and seen a ferret wander by exploring our living room.  Or, gone looking for them to put them away for the night and discovered that one of them is nowhere to be found.  I discovered Peanut behind the basement wall at one point.  She had slipped under the door to the spare room and then the door to the furnace room.  She found a hole leading behind the wall!!  Small ferrets can be a curse!!!!

At this point, I think we finally have it solved!  They haven't been able to escape for a couple months.  But, eventually, they'll figure something out again.
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 03:16:51 PM »

Welcome!  So are your guys a couple of babies?  I normally have anywhere from 20 to 30 ferrets in my home and I still find babies a handful.....too cute though......my guys have a ferret proofed room they can play in unattended but when they're out in the rest of the house, there is someone around keeping half an eye on their whereabouts.  If I turn my back there's normally one in my plant, one on the counter, one opening cupboards, one pooping on carpet and one that is dumping garbage cans over.......course, I do let my 7 out at once because I'm a glutton for punishment......and yet, still sooooo cute!  I always feel more relaxed when they're finally tucked away safe and sound in their cages.

I have a huge rice box, and like viper says, it's almost time to hide it away for a little bit to rekindle their attention.  Ferrets are memorizers and problem solvers which is why they enjoy things in waves.  It also means, don't spend tons of money on expensive toys when you can offer maximum amusement with sand boxes and paper bags......

Enjoy and again, welcome to the whole crazy bunch of us!

ME Smiley
Matthew
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 06:14:28 PM »

Perfect health. I am so relieved, I never thought they were ok, but just wanted to be sure.

Loki, the runt of her litter, is perfect size. You all got a competitor for smallest female ferret.

We really liked the vet, he is great. He humoured our over protective first time owner questions with ease.

See you all at the frolic.
Kalimata

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2006, 01:13:08 PM »

Doc Auger is the best, especially for new mommys and daddies.  Don't worry too much, eventually the ferrets will have you trained so you don't leave socks where they aren't supposed to, place your plants way up high, and to never leave unattended glasses of liquid anywhere.  It isn't so much ferret proofing, it's more like Human Training, I swear its true.  what Fuzzyfostermom says about cheap toys is right.  My kids have more fun with a strange box filled with blankets, or a backpack left on the floor then they have with the expensive toys we bought them.
Matthew
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2006, 03:54:04 PM »

as stated we are starting to train the lil buggers on a leash. When I take them outside *when the weather is nice* do you guys have any cautions or suggestions?

like will they try to eat the grass like a dog, should i be wearing of squirrels, anything I wouldn't normally think of?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: