Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ Boredom Prevention (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Rice Box
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rice Box  (Read 8374 times)
Viper
FRSO Members

« on: March 13, 2006, 04:52:18 PM »

Take a transparent Rubbermaid-type tub (largish and maybe a foot deep). Cut a circular hole in the centre of the lid. Half-fill the box with long grain, non-parboiled, white rice and let the ferrets take their digging urges out in there. You can even hide toys in the rice for them to ferret out.

Well, I bought a box, and all that I need in order to insert & fasten a tube on the upper side of it so that my fuzzies can come/go as they please.

However, I can't find any long grain, non-parboiled, white rice. I found some long grain, parboiled, white rice as well as many different pre-cooked / instant but not the FRSO recommended one.

Does any one have any idea as to where I can find such rice and, preferably, in bulk? At Costco, they had 20lbs bags of long grain white rice. No mention of the pre-cooked, parboiled or any thing else. Could this rice work as well?

Thanks in advance!

Keep on Dooking!
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 07:27:07 AM »

I may be wrong (I'm sure someone will correct me), but I've used plain rice (like you found in Costco).  As long as it's not instant rice, all should be fine.  I expect the best deals on rice would be in the small stores in the Somerset/Bronson area.  Just watch out for ferrets who prefer to use it as a bathroom instead of a dig box.

Webmaster
Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 04:05:48 PM »

Hey!  I haven't talked to the lady that surrendered the recent big group because she left me the big rice box and I was going to ask what sort of rice she used......I will let you know when I speak with her

ME Smiley
FuzzyWuzzy
FRSO Members

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 08:27:17 AM »

We ended up buying the bags of plain rice at Costco, and put Nicky and Bailey in the box for the first time late last week. Not surprisingly, they had a ball! Smiley Bailey was in it regularly at first, but doesn't seem as interested now. Nicky is another story. He jumps in there at least once every playtime and is having loads of fun digging for the (empty) plastic capsules from the Kinder Eggs that we hid in there. He can't get them in his mouth, so he's been scooting backwards around the box with them in his front paws. It's really entertaining to watch! Cheesy
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 07:39:58 AM »

Bailey was in it regularly at first, but doesn't seem as interested now.
Actually, when Nicky isn't around, Bailey enjoys it as well...  It's just that when the 2 are in at the same time, well, let's just say that Nicky takes most of the box to himself.  Tongue  

Keep on Dooking!
Kalimata

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 03:32:45 PM »

Okay, so here is my question on the whole thing.  Should the box be transparent, or can it be opaque.  Reason I ask is that my babies have these transparent tubes, and they don't seem to play in them, unless I take a dark blanket and throw it over the tubes.  I figure what i'm going to do is get a rather large tupperware bin, and instead of cutting one hole in the top, I'll cut a hole on each of the opposite ends.  Run these tubes in from either side, and have them connect with a T tube inside the box.  Then fill it with the rice, so the babies can enter from either side, climb up the tube, and into the rice.  Opinions?

Kali
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 09:42:33 AM »

I beleive that the transparent box is more of a parent feature. You don't have to stand on top in order to observe the silliness that goes on in there...  Tongue

We too have cut a hole on the side instead of one on the top lid. As a matter of fact, we haven't even placed the lid. [Picture] The thing that I'm noticing is that when Nicky digs/scratches inside, depending on the direction his behind faces, rice will fly through the tube. Shocked

As for the tubes themselves as far as access, our fuzzys like to climb/jump into/out-of the box a bit more than the tube itself... Although the tube collects rice, I like it the way it is as it gives them access options.

Just my 2 cents.

Keep on Dooking!
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 03:29:07 PM »

Mine is translucent....kind of inbetween......with an entrance hole in one end and an open top.  Some of the critters love it most of the time and some once in a while.....the ones who love it, love it alot!!!!!!

(there's a few pictures......some in the photo section and Bear N0. 2 is posted with his picture in one)

ME Smiley
Kalimata

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 09:28:59 AM »

Oh my gosh.  So my kids have a new rice box, and man oh man...   They love the thing.  Comet gets in there and covers his head in the rice, then runs around.  Luna digs for a bit, but I think she prefers momy's plants better.  And Star... well I'm happiest about her reaction to the box.  She digs, does that cute backwards shuffle them fuzzies do.  She even War Dances in the rice, which is something she never does.  I've never seen her enjoy anything so much.  I'm glad you folks mentioned the idea.

Kali
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 07:58:29 PM »

Now picture 8 crazy beasts in there at once going cuckoo......welcome to my home....and that's not including the foster group......

Tongue  
Canucklehead
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 11:42:07 AM »

Our four love the rice box, but Buttercup is the queen of the rice box.  

Outside the box, she's timid and usually chased by a ferret (or usually three).  But, inside the box, she shows the much bigger boys that she's the boss and they'd better remove themselves quickly!!  There's nothing quite like seeing a small 1.5 lb. female sending a 3+ lb. male leaping (with rice flying everywhere) out of the box!  They usually look sheepish afterwards.
fuzzyfostermum
FRSO Board

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 10:34:59 AM »

Even little Snoopy is quite the tyrant in the rice box!!!  We're so proud of him......that play place has helped him to begin to act like a ferret!!!!!

Me  :lol:  
moonlights
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 01:42:41 PM »

I agree with ferretfan.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: