Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Ferret's Body Weight
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ferret's Body Weight  (Read 3969 times)
Armymedic
« on: February 26, 2006, 09:13:29 PM »

Just looking into what is the average weight we have here on the bulletin board for each of our ferrets. Including the gender and the age as well.
If you have just too many like 10-13 Wink , an average of each gender would do.
Please and Thank You:)
Kalimata

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 10:17:37 AM »

Heya folks,

My babies Luna and Comet are close to the same age as Ginger i believe.  At this age, comet is probably 1.5-2 lbs, and Luna is probably 1-1.5 lbs.  Which is kind of funny, because when they were kits, and we bought the two of them, Comet weighed less than Luna did, and now he has a huge big bum!  Luna is sleeker than Comet is, with her weight distrubuted evenly across her body.  My numbers are approxemations, but at their age, there is a definate difference in their weights and body shape.  I hope this helps, is your little Ginger smaller, or bigger than you other?  

Kali
Armymedic
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 03:30:35 PM »

Fred is our female, just little over a year old now and she's 2 lbs right on the nose.
Ginger is our male and only 6 mths I'd say and coming close to 5 pounder!!!! He's bigger than a pomeranian dog :lol:  He's what you call a "Big Boy"  Tongue
What about the others in here?
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 07:03:15 PM »

I see a lot of ferrets pass through my doors (foster family and ferret sitting).  I have seen females weighing between 650grams and 1350grams.  The average is around 900 grams.  Weights of males has varied from 850grams to 1500grams with the average around 1200grams.

Webmaster
Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Flakyfreakyferretlady
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 09:50:06 AM »

Hi Armymedic, good topic.  I have two boys, both 5 1/2 years old, both weigh 3 lbs., and my girl, Emma, is 6 years old and weighs 2 1/2 lbs.  She is heavy for a girl, she came to me at 5 years old, very fat from sitting in a cage all alone for all that time with nothing to do but eat.  She was so fat we thought she had lymphoma cause of her neck bulges, but it was just 'fat sacs' and Dr. Auger is now very pleased with her size.  I've had other boys who generally were around 2 to 2 1/2 lbs, they were slight, and teeny girls, some just a pound.  It varies alot. So, it sounds like you have a monster size boy on your hands, God, I love big boys!
Armymedic
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 04:35:44 PM »

Hi again,
Yeah Ginger is huge but he's active though... he spend at least 6 hrs outside his cage everyday. Actually from the time we're done work till the time we go to bed. Because of his size however, he's slower when it come to climbing up the couch but other than that he can challenge his sister Fred anytime. He eats well, drinks well, overall healthy shiny full fur coat. So I guess he's not what we can call delicate but handsome in his own way. LOL
The vet saw them here in Pet and beside hearing everybody saying "oh my gosh he's huge"  Wink they haven't said anything regarding his weight so I guess he's done his growth spurt eh  :rolleyes:
We were thinking to bring him to your next frollies in Ottawa, with his size, he might kick butt for the biggest male  Tongue
Proud are we ever so eh,
Cheers
Isabelle
Flakyfreakyferretlady
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 11:26:48 PM »

God, i'd love to see him, I adore huge fuzzy boys, hope you make it to the frolic.  My boys came to me after just having been fixed at three years old, and they were about 5 lbs then, pure solid muscle, but are slimmer now, still, the vet was amazed at how solid they were, not fat, muscle.  it was different with Emma, she was just fat, fat, fat, she could hardly move around, she was so out of shape, poor thing, but once she was freed from her 5 year sentence in a cage (I'd like to find those people and lock them in a cage for 5 years, see how they like it), and i started her on an exersice regime (had her chasing a cat teaser toy and doing stairs!!) she shaped up, and even though she's still a BIG girl, she is fit.  Cheers, Dee
Viper
FRSO Members

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 08:19:52 AM »

I have seen females weighing between 650grams and 1350grams.  The average is around 900 grams.  Weights of males has varied from 850grams to 1500grams with the average around 1200grams.
I'm glad to hear that because when brought Bailey [4 y/o F] & Nicky [4 y/o M] over to Dr. Auger on Friday, Bailey weighted at around .8 while Nicky was around 1.4. Dr. Auger didn't mention that there was a problem/concern but it's always nice to hear that they are in the average/norm.

Keep on Dooking!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: