Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Fighting or playing????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fighting or playing????  (Read 5282 times)
Armymedic
« on: November 26, 2005, 08:19:28 PM »

Hiya all again,
Ginger has arrived last week at barely 8 weeks old. He's a chubby (huge) white sterling silver we think, beautiful colours btw.
Anyway, since we've been exposed to only one ferret within the last year... we're not really sure how two ferret plays together. We know they tend to play rough, but how rough is too rough though?  
Ginger is a very vocal little guy, compare to a quiet little girl (our baby Fred, who's almost a year now). So since his arrival, they seems to play but they also seems to fight. We're quiet confuse here, we don't want Fred to become jealous but we also don't want Ginger to become a bully. He's gonna be a big boy when older.
Fred will not let him in her cage while she's in there, she will not let him enter her treasure spot in the couch's arm rest. However they look like they're having fun with the tube (dryer exhaust tube) and with the toys around the house.
I'm just concern about a nip that will go too far and injure one or the other  :unsure: . James and I really would like them two to go in the same cage at some point and sleep together buddy-buddy.
As for the nipping hands and feet, oh the little guy is learning real quick it doesn't go on in our house! LOL Wink  It's amazing how far along our first one became tame within a year, she was just like him at his age.
Anyway, if you have any ideas as to what we should do to make them better friends, just let us know.
Thanks a bunch,
James and Isabelle
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 10:55:18 AM »

When introducing ferrets for the first time, some dominant females (especially if they haven't been socialized with other ferrets) can be extremely agressive establishing who's the boss.  In extreme cases, you will see flying pee/poo as well as bites that draw blood (I've got 2 females like that).  

From what you describe, you ferrets aren't that bad.  Give it time and patience, and they'll eventually learn to tolerate each other. Until they settle donw, keep them in separate cages and supervise their play time just to make sure on one gets hurt.

Lynn

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Armymedic
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 08:50:15 PM »

Thanks Lynn, we'll keep the supervision on the go for awhile. Unfortunately, we had to retire Fred in her cage for the last 24hrs, our little girly has diarrhea that keeps alternating with solids. We figured we can monitor her food/water intakes better if she remains in her quarters. If still feeling ill tomorrow it's gonna be a quick trip down to Ottawa for the Vet.  
Armymedic
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 07:52:46 PM »

Quick update: Fred has done really good today, still a bit tired but eating and drinking really well... good enough to be free in the house for a bit and guess what? She just had a nap with Ginger on the couch!!!! Weehheee
We'll keep up the supervision but I think the introduction is turning out for the best. They might eventually do enjoy each other's company! So glad.
James and Isabelle
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 08:14:50 PM »

I only wish intros with my Momma Cass and my Murphy Brown were that easy.  Glad to hear things are going well.

Lynn

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Kalimata

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 09:10:07 AM »

Phew, I was so glad to read your post Armymedic.  Last night my wife and I made another addition to our family.  We were in Superpet on Merivale, to buy a carrier for our little Luna, and that is when we heard about our new Comet.  He's a male Blaze, one of Luna's litter mates as a matter of fact.  He is deaf, and a little scrawny.  They (the pet store girls) figured that the other ferrets were hoarding his food, and bullying him.  Long story short, we introduced them last night, and the same thing happened.  They wrestled quite a bit, and there was some whimpers on both sides.  Since Luna had only been away from Comet for about two weeks, we had hoped things would be a little smoother.  But there was no blood, no flying poop, and after a bit, Comet fell asleep, and Luna bounced around, and kept trying to chew his ears.  We have them in separate cages, beside each other, and we washed all the hammocks and tents and toys.  We also gave them a bath, their first.  What an experience that was, let me say.  So we played with them this morning, a bit of wrestling, but no fighting between them.  So we'll see how tonight goes, but i was happy to read that our introduction was not unlike Armymedic's.

Kali
Armymedic
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 05:33:27 PM »

Hi Kalimata,
Hum, let me say that the intro has been a challenge between those two, especially for us since we didn't really know how to really do it properly for the first time. I felt like a refferee since Ginger has been home! Constantly on the watch to take it easy on Fred!
My girl (Fred) was sick almost ever since Ginger came along, must've been a virus he carried from the litter and we sort of figured out that Fred was also showing signs of jealousy as if she lost "her" spot in the family.
Well with lots of loving time, our Fred came back to life. All the stuff we used to do as play, petting, washing, caring, treats and well you get the idea is still on.
So while Fred was napping, Ginger and I had our match... I mean almost a battle! LOL Took him a couple of days to figure out don't you dare to bite faces and toes. As well as when we place him in our arms, don't bite, don't try to run away or you will fall! Oh yeah he fell a few time but never got hurt yet! LOL
The little guy came a long way in a week, he no longer bite our face, he lets us kiss him right on the nose no problem when we come home from work, he stays in my arms a lot better but still room for improvements and follows me everywhere in the house like Fred! He's no longer petrified of the combat boots we wear (they do make alot of noise on the floor but he's getting used to it)
As for Fred, she finally put her foot down two days ago... it was hilarious to see actually... Ginger as usual kept non stop wrestling with Fred (slowly recovering from her illness) and we knew our girl was getting tired... so she return one heck of a nip and a loud hiss... he screamed and ran for us... so now every time he hears the hissing he raise his head and looks around as if to say "oh oh better stop right there eh"
Anyway, the bottom line is that our baby girl Fred is doing alot better, our little big guy Ginger is learning really quick on how it goes in here and both seem to play alot more in a friendly manner. James and I are hoping by new year they will both in the same cage.
Take care,
Isabelle and James

P.S Did you say you bought your baby at SuperPet?
Kalimata

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 08:58:50 AM »

Hiya Armymedic.

I'm glad to hear that your Fred is doing better,and that your babies are starting to get along, and learning not to bite noses!  Our newest Comet is having a bit of a dificult time learning about that.  But bitter apple and a scruff are usually enough to calm him down.  My wife and I were concerned that our Luna might be a little jeleous, but she is fine.  Because they were together before we bought Comet, our introduction experience is probably a lot easier.  They are wrestling together now, without the hissing, and they nap together too, and even share food and treats  Cheesy  Because Comet is deaf, he can't really hear Luna's noises or hisses, so he sometimes plays a little too hard, but Luna has established that she is our Alpha Girl.  
     Anyway, give your babies lots of hugs, and soon they'll be the best of friends.

Kali

P.S.  Yes, we bought Luna at Superpet about 2 weeks ago, and came back last week to find that nobody wanted to buy Comet because he was deaf.  Couldn't bear to see the little guy so lonely, so we bought him too Cheesy

P.S.S.  How long have you been posted to Pet?  Just curious as I've been there for courses quite a few times.  Gotta love the summers on them plains, holy hot!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 09:05:03 AM by Kalimata » Logged
Armymedic
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 01:46:50 PM »

Well your Luna and Comet might be Ginger's bro and sis eh! How neat if that is. Our Ginger was reserved from the first day of their arrival at SuperPet, from the look of him he definitely had the most food and everything else. He's huge, his head is twice the size of Fred and she's a year old now LOL
As for Pet, been here since 2002 as a medic and remustered into Fire Fighter just this last summer... the GF is still a medic in Pet as well. Should be posted out of here sometime in the spring cause of trade element (Air Force = Air Base)
You were on course here? Military by any chance down in Ottawa?
Kalimata

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 09:07:38 PM »

Wow, thats cool about Ginger, i've probably seen him before then, I was at super pet like every night after we bought Luna, but couldn't take her home.
  The kids are finally together in the cage for good.  They are all friendly with each other now, and play all the time.  We found out though that our little Luna is a Houdini of sorts.  She can climb out of the pet playpen we bought, *sigh.  After christmas we are gonna ferret proof our livingroom, and let em run free Cheesy
  As for military, yeah I was a Weekend Warrior from 95-99.  In the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa, a machine gunner, so i've spent a bit of time in Pet, doing a gun course and my JNCO course.  Loved digging in the Plains in summer Cheesy
Anyway, how are your babies getting along?  I hope they are well, specially fred after her illness.

Anyway, the little bells are jingling, which means the kids are up, so time for a bit of a play before bedtime Cheesy

Kali
Armymedic
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 04:26:24 PM »

Sorry I took so long to reply, was away on a 2 week ex again outside the province.
Yeah our little babies are in the same cage now for the last week like yours. Weeheee. Have you seen the latest batch at SuperPet? My oh My almost bought a third one!!!! They have beautiful cinnamon in there!
Anyway gotta go, just came back from a 12 hrs car ride  :wacko:
Take care and I'll talk to you guys later
Kalimata

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 08:48:16 AM »

Ahhhh winter ex, man i hated those, sleeping in tents, and them durned sleds, lol.  Glad to hear the babies are sharing their cage.  And man oh man, yeah i saw the new batch on saturday.  OMG those things are too cute, I would have come home with about 8 of them if my wife hadn't been there to stop me.  Meanie! Cheesy  I thought that the little panda was just darling.

Kali
m&m
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 12:50:39 AM »

I saw those babies this weekend and oh I wanted them ever so badly!  But none of the arguements of why we should get a new ferret right now worked - but I'm still try'in  Cheesy .  The panda was one of my fav's as well.

Mel
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: