Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Skinny ferret
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Skinny ferret  (Read 6722 times)
ChadMTL
« on: April 21, 2005, 06:47:12 AM »

One of our 2 ferrets is really skinny. She (Rootbeer) is 2 years old and is the one with the most energy out of the two...when we went to get her checked out, they simply said that she had a speedy metabolism.

We are still worried a little about her since our other one (Daisy) is a little tubby in the winter and has a really healthy weight.

Rootbeer has a great appetite and is very active, so what they said would make sense...but wanted to know if you guys have heard of this before?

pyxiepoo
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 01:15:18 PM »

I have 2 very skinny ferrets, and they are very active as well.  They are always eating.  I was worried, so I brought them to the vet and he told me to feed them Iams kitten food because he has seen the best results with ferrets eating that.  I also add a tine bit of ferritone to the food.  I have noticed one of them has plumped up a little.  The thing is that the vet said that my girl Carrie just had a very small build so she would be petite throughout her life.  So I think as long as the vet is not concerned, your little Rootbeer will be fine! Cheesy  
ChadMTL
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 01:17:10 PM »

Awesome, thank you so much...I would try her on Iams right away. Would that be good for the other one who is of normal weight too?
pyxiepoo
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 01:19:07 PM »

Yeah the vet said that he sees the best results with most ferrets.  Just don't switch the food all at once.  Mix the old with the new so that they can get used to the taste, although all three of mine started picking through the food to get to the Iams.
fertasticfour
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 02:03:17 PM »

Your best bet is to mix 2-3 foods. We feed ours two differant foods at all times. Ours all seem to be healthy weights as well as super hyper  Tongue
ChadMTL
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 10:16:08 AM »

OK that's smart...how many do you have John?
fertasticfour
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 01:20:04 PM »

We have 4 ferrets all males  if you have msn messanger add me jonm24@hotmail.com
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 05:56:22 PM »

I would be careful with Iams as they have changed their formula recently and are presently accused of using sub-standard meat in their products.  I prefer to use a mix of high quality foods - human grade (such as Wysong or Wellness) if you can afford it.  You can find some good information about the various foods at MD Ferret Paws and Ohio Ferret.

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
pyxiepoo
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 11:43:36 AM »

I would still assume that Iams is ok if it was my veterinarian that suggested that I put them on Iams as soon as possible...I mean I am supposed to trust my vet no?
pyxiepoo
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 11:47:23 AM »

I'm sorry, I think that may have come off a little rude now that I look back...I will talk to my vet and see what he says.  Thank you for the update!
Jade
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 10:12:14 PM »

Erika I don't think you came accross as rude and in many ways I would agree with you lol the only thing that I might consider when referencing my vet is obviously that they be Ferret knowledgeable and that they have looked in to or are aware that these changes might have occured in the Iams foods that way they are giving you a fully educated aguess  Wink
But I agree with you I should be able to trust my vet, but that doens't mean I don't do some research myself  Cheesy

Jade

* just thought that I'd mention this: I looked at the sites that ferretfan posted on this thread for us and  Iams recieved 5/6 on the Ohio site (it stated that they used real meat and not other) and recieved a 6/10 on the MD Ferret Paws site... so its seems like its alright to use  Tongue  
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 10:23:35 PM by Jade » Logged
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 09:08:29 PM »

As I said, Iams recently changed their recipe and these sites have not been updated in a while (for example the Ohio page was last updated in 2001).    They are a good starting point, but you also have to do your own research as companys change and products change over time.

Lynn

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: