Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Help!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help!!!  (Read 2275 times)
Purble
« on: April 14, 2005, 12:26:53 PM »

I am a 16 year old first time ferret owner and sadly am still learning the basics. I love my little girl but I am experiencing a little teeny problem.
She will not stop useing the doorway stoop as a bathroom, when the door is closed she goes in the corner next to it. It is horribly disgusting for guests but she goes before I can get it all and damn does it get hard! I realize there's the possibility that she's marking the boundries of the house because that door is our main exit and holds the greatest foot traffic and now that it is spring my mom opens the heavy door in the kitchen and so she goes there too but not as often.  
I realize it's instinct so I can't really fault her.
I've tried working the scat out of all the little creases and corners and spray liberaly with a non-toxic odor out, I've tried placing a box of litter as close to the door as possible (we put her in it, she gets out and does it at the door), I've tried catching her in the act and putting her back in her cage's litter box (she don't care, she goes right in front of me before I can grab her).
Is there anything else that I should try, I heard that others have had this problem but they never say if they fixed it or not.
I hope you guys can help before I wring her adorable little neck <_<  
fertasticfour
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 08:11:18 PM »

You could try putting one of her toys there so she wont poop on it.  ( but then that doesnt always work either... sometimes they really dont care.. ha ha)
Our ferts really didnt respond to the Anti-odor spray stuff...
Try blocking it off from the fert, or just keep catching her in the act eventually she'll get the hint.  But then sometimes there are just corners the insist on pooping in.  Ours are litter trained, but there is one corner they just HAVE to go in.  So we caved and put some paper down.  We tried a litter box but they just went in front of it.

Good luck, let us know how you did it if she stops!
Jade
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 11:06:51 PM »

Hiya
ya this is a common problem with ferrets the little stinkers Tongue sometimes I think that they do it to simply annoy us lesser beings :rolleyes:. But heres a shot in the dark in case you havn't tried it yet, try putting some of her waste in the litter box and continue cleaning the area. Also fertasticfour is right about the toy or possibly putting one of her blankies there when the door isn't being used might help. Until the problem is resolved or atleast controlled try tapeing a plastic mat down infront of the door that'll atleast help with the cleaning. Oh and one more thought maby try blocking her access to the area  if possible (somtimes this helps) Sad  These are some of the things I've used and my fuzzybutts are pretty good about there litterbox's. (Oh and how old is she, and does she use her litter in ferret terms "almost reliably"?......  if not maby working on this will help also) Wink
Hope I helped and I'll hit the books to seek out some more ideas if needed  Cheesy

~Jade~  
Purble
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 11:44:58 AM »

Thank-you so much for replying, you have no idea how grateful I feel Smiley
Meko is still under a year and as for her toilet habits she is pretty good about it, minus a couple little messes in her cage here and there and she tries to go where we blocked off one of out poor cats. I think I'll try the toy idea (if she doesn't drag it off herself), and if that doesn't work I'll ask my parents if we can move the baby gate in the way on the stairs (she still hasn't figured it out  Cheesy )
thanx
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: