Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
Products
Divider
Email info (at) ferretrescue.ca Phone 613-296-4357 Home Ferrets About Us Help Us FAQ Links Photos Products Contact Us Francais
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Home Help Search Login Register
+ Ferret Rescue Society of Ottawa and Area
|-+ Ferret Talk
| |-+ General Discussions (Moderator: alliemackie)
| | |-+ Little help?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Little help?  (Read 3394 times)
L-Dawg
« on: March 29, 2005, 02:16:27 AM »

Now, I love my little girl, but she has this annoying habit of raking her claws on the cage and biting the cage with her teeth... it looks as though it should hurt, but she will not stop doing it.  I have tried everything I can think off, from ignoring her (so she knows it will not get my attention) to the firm voicing of "NO" either with a tap on the nose or a "scruffing" (I guess thats what you call it, when you pick them up like a mother would do).  But still she does it.  Any ideas?
    My other issue is, Drew has never interacted with other ferrets before, we tried to introduce her to my GF's cat, however I do not trust the cat even a little, so that didnt work.  Now... being a little slow (myself that is!  Wink ) I did not realize the complexity it may require to get Drew and Bandit to get along.  We first let bandit run around the basement (which is where Drew usually plays) so he could get used to the place.  
    Anyway, so unknowing of the ways to introduce ferrets, my girlfriend Susanna and I let Drew smell and see Bandit while he was in his cage.  She was curious of course and kept walking around his cage to smell him.  Neither of them burled up or anything.  I thought that was a good sign. We then decided to put them on the floor and see what they would do.  Well, Bandit couldnt care less what Drew does, he just wants to play.  But Drew,  seemed very cautious of him, and her tail fluffed up big time.  They did eventually tangle and there was a bit of a wrestling match, they were both hissing and dooking rapidly, nothing that sounded like screaming .... although I have never heard a ferret scream...  anyway, no blood was drawn, and Bandit tries to get Drew to play, but Drew is still very cautious and her tail  will fluff if he comes near.  She doesnt seem to like him.  And they hiss at eachother frequently.
    Anyway, I checked the net and found some info on introducing a new ferret,  I did exchange their hammocks, so they will get each others smell.  We have to bath Bandit as he is kind of dirty due to his previous owners lack of care.  I am thinking I should bath Drew too, so they smell similar?  If any of you have any suggestions on how I can get these two to like eachother I would appreciate it.  I do realize this could take a while(and this was only a 20 minutes of time together for the first time),  or might never happen, but I would really like to see them become friends.

Thanks folks!  Sorry... Im a long winded air bag.
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 06:58:52 PM »

Hi  L-Dawg,

There was a previous discussion on this topic in a  February Posting.  

Overall it sounds like you're doing pretty good.  I've had ferrets that jumped out of my hands to attack each other (with the corresponding fluffy tails and flying poop).  Take it slow and easy, and watch them carefully until they're fully comfortable with each other.

Lynn

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
L-Dawg
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 02:49:11 AM »

Thanks Lynn.

As for day 2 of my introduction of my 2 fuzzies.  I started out by cleaning both cages completely.  And then proceeded with baths. Both of them are terrified of the baths... and I will not bathe them again unless absolutely nessessary... they both ended up shaking like crazy and pooping on the floor.  I felt terrible.... but atleast they are clean!

And a couple hours later it was playtime.  And, everything seems to have gone well, they did not mock battle or fight, so no one got dragged around by the scruff.  They sniffed at each other when the other was not looking, but mostly just played by themselves or with me. Not with each other.  But aside from some minor hissing, things seemed to go well.  I am optomistic.

Does it sound like they might eventually be friends and play together?

Lars
ferretfan
FRSO Board

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 11:51:15 AM »

Hi Lars,

It's difficult to say how close they'll get, but at least they're not attacking each other.  My Ellie and Cassaundra started out avoiding/hissing at each other and now they play and sleep together all the time.  

Lynn

Webmaster
http://www.ferretrescue.ca
L-Dawg
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 12:15:30 PM »

Well thats encouraging.  Bandit is very laid back, and just wants to play, Drew is the one who needs to relax, and accept him.  Keep you fingers crossed for me!

Lars
Flakyfreakyferretlady
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 02:03:44 PM »

Hi Lars, hows it going??  It doesn't sound too bad at all, I've had much worse beginings turn into wonderful friendships.  Gilrs can sometimes be a little funny about accpeting new ferrets, esp. since she was an only child.  A word about baths, I find it helpful to a) make sure they have gone poop recently B) use a bucket or other small container and make sure they are able to rest their feet on the bottom, and clasp the top, they feel safer this way.  c) Use fairly warm water in the bucket, their body temp. are higher than us so water that feels warm to us would feel cooler to them d) use a cup to gently wet them down, avoid their heads above their ears, talk gently the whole time d) have all the shampoo right there beside you, open and ready e) once they're wetted and have shampoo on them, you can lift them out of the bucket and let them stand in the tub,sink etc. while you lather and scrub f) rinse them really well (otherwise the can get dry itchy skin) under warm running water, holding them firmly, I find the running water actually soothes my ferrets, just, again, avoid their heads, rinse under their chin etc. with a cup or g) have another bucket of clean warm rinse water to place them in nearbye and finally h) have lots of towels on the floor for them to roll and rub in after you give them a bit of a wipe.  Just a few suggestions that might help, you probably do alot of it already.  Who knows, they may actually learn to like baths!!
L-Dawg
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 03:51:33 PM »

Thank you for the suggestions!  You are right I did pretty much everything you mentioned, except for taking them out while I scrubbed.  I was very careful not to get water on their heads...  I still managed to get a good scratching though!  Dont think Bandit has ever had his nails trimmed.  We should have trimmed them first! Oh well!  Thanks again for your suggestions!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: